Toggle Switch Sticking

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by hughdbaker, Nov 4, 2018.

1. hughdbaker

hughdbaker Newbie

Nov 12, 2011
    United States
    Anyone have any tips on what I can do to help with one of my toggle switch from "sticking". I have a 2003 G6118T. One switch is really smooth, but the other "sticks" and just does not feel nearly as smooth to toggle. Any tips on what I can do to fix this? Since this design does not have any access points to the switch, I'm at a lost as to what I should do. Thanks for any help!

2. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    I had a switch on a guitar that was a little stiff a couple months ago. I put a drip of machine oil into it. I don't know if it's doing harm to the wiring/soldering, but so far it's been working fine.

3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I would try some Deoxit spray. Has it always been sticky? It may need to be tweaked a little.

4. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    +1 for Deoxit. Sometimes needs to sit overnight, but it often does the job.

5. hughdbaker

hughdbaker Newbie

Nov 12, 2011
    United States
    I bought it used, but it's been sticky ever since I got it. I'm actually struggling with the right word to use for how it feels. It just isn't nearly as smooth as the other toggle switch.

6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Takes more force to move? But still works?

7. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I've found, sometimes, the jam nut needs a slight adjustment to raise or lower the switch. Particularly on the Switchcraft toggles found in Gretsch guitars. It's like if it's in a certain position the switching mechanism binds up.
    s-l500.jpg
    Occasionally I find it doesn't matter where I adjust it, it just tends to bind and the only permanent solution is replacement.
    That said on a hollow body it is not easy to get at the lower nut to make an adjustment and I would try the Deoxit first and see if that solves it.

8. hughdbaker

hughdbaker Newbie

Nov 12, 2011
    United States
    Exactly