Join Gretsch-Talk Today

To Wound G or not To Wound G?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Rusty Silver, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Hello everybody! I know that's an old and well known question, but it could be helpful for me to know your opinions... I never really loved how the G string sounded on my G5422 (with standard 011.049 strings - plain G) so I've tried to change it with 011.049 strings - wound G... The sound now is really warm, balanced (and proudly twangy ;)), but ... sadly ... I can't more bending on G string (it's 021 wound!!!) So... Have I to abandon Chuck Berry bending style on third string... :eek:?) Tragic dilemma...
    I've just discovered that D'Addario makes also 010.046 strings with wound G string (it's 018) so I think it could be a good compromise...
    Does anybody find himself in a similar situation?

Limuz likes this.
  2. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    I have a wound G, I use TI flatwound strings. Light gauge, .10. Bending definitely is harder than on an unwound string, but the warmth of the tone definitely makes up for that.

emitex likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I use D'Addario 115w ( 11's with the wound G ) I like that extra twang but honestly I don't really bend

JHowdy likes this.
  4. buchon2111

buchon2111 Gretschie

I use Flat 12s with the wound G. I can get any kind of bend I need using a combination of finger bending and Bigsby action. It works really well. A benefit of using 12s or higher-gauged strings is that guitars strung with 9s or 10s seem ridiculously easy to play. :)

5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    My standard set on my Gretsches is the NYXL .010-.046 w/ a .018 wound 3rd. Unfortunately you've got to order the wound G a la carte in the NYXLs. I love the the feel of it and find the slight uptick in bending effort is welcome.

I like 'em too as long as you've got the bridge for them to intonate well.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  6. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    I use them too, to avoid bending :).

thunder58, russmack and MTurner like this.
  7. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I tried out wound G strings before and loved the sound but I do too much bending to stay with them.

8. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    No to the Wound G. Too hard too bend.

9. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    I prefer the sound of a wound G, but just like you Chuck Berry bending is not possible for me with it. Not really because you'd have to use more strength, but because you have to push the string almost over the edge of the fretboard for a full step bending. So I always exchange the wound G of my Thomastiks for an unwound.

10. hotpepper01

hotpepper01 Electromatic

Jul 1, 2018
    Netherlands
    I use DAddario flats for the low 3 strings (30 40 50) and plain single Elixir for the highest 3 strings (12 14 18) on most of my guitars including 3 Gretsches, No wound 3rd for me. That goes back to my soldibody days. I only play in a bigband nowadays,

11. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Tried a plain G a coupla times. They never sound in tune.

russmack and Dave-B like this.
  12. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Wound G's do normally intonate better with non-adjustable bridges (rocking bar, Space Control, Compton, standard Tru-Arc etc)

13. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Been using NYXL 12-52W which is a wound G. Love them but bending is harder and what I can bend isn’t as far as lighter strings but I don’t care I love the tone.

14. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I gave up my Benz....but I can't give up my bends....NO.. to the wound G....hey, I think I just wrote a great blues song!

Flouswa likes this.
  15. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    In the '60s guitar string sets always came with a wound-G. So I could do bends on solos I would buy a box of heavy gauge B strings and substitute them for the wound-G.

16. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm not a serious string bender. I prefer wound Gs. They just sound better to me. YMMV---that's why they make both versions.

17. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Maybe Chuck Berry did the same for Johnny be goode... if not I can't understand how he could bend in that way... o_O

18. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    I'm tryng to find my way... ;)

19. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Yes.

20. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yes, blues guys had been doing that for years. They invented it! They would take a regular set and move them up, get rid of the fat string and use a banjo 10 on the E.

Rusty Silver likes this.