Join Gretsch-Talk Today

To Flint or not to Flint...

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    So I've been on the edge of ordering a Strymon Flint for quite some time, but always seem to run into some other super awesome trem pedal used right when I've just about passed the threshold of finally ordering one.

Seems like it would be a really awesome combo pedal for me to have given that

a) I really love good spring verb and tube/optical/harmonic trems
    and
    b) A big majority of the amps I love playing through have neither of them onboard

The current mounting GAS attack for one is immediately motivated by the pending rekajigger of my recently assembled stereo board, kinda thinking of a layout like this:
    [​IMG]
    It would be replacing the Cusack Tap-A-Whirl V3 on this board, letting me put the trem where I want it in signal path and also giving me a couple dedicated spring sounds (and easier access to an additional trem sound) so I can let the BigSky focus more on other verb sounds (and provide some cool verb stacking options for space-ier ambient sounds).

I guess what I'm wondering is whether the Flint will wind up standing up against the really great dedicated pedals I've already got for spring verb and trem for me. I usually find demos to be marginally useful in answering this due to the nature of the delivery of the videos and that a good bit of what makes a pedal work for me is how it feels to play through it as much as how it's going to sound w/ my stuff. They can give me an idea of the capabilities and features well enough, but not necessarily how the implementation of said capabilities will work for me.

So I guess my actual question(s) for Flint owners past and present:
    Do you still have and/or use your Flint?
    Do you find it to beat out dedicated verb and/or trem pedals that you've tried?
    What sounds/functions do you find to be it's strongest and weakest?
    How does it do w/ preserving the dynamics you're feeding into it?

I know a lot of what I'm asking is subjective but I'm still interested in your feedback. Thanks!

Mudshark, audept and Wulfgang like this.
  2. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Do NOT go to Flint, Michigan. It's awful.

3. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I like my flint, and I use regular trem the most, and also use the harmonic trem quite a bit as well. Don't use the optical or whatever it's called trem much aside from goofing around but it is really cool. I also have a T1m auxiliary pedal that has a tap tempo or favorite (two foot switches, but only one works at a time, via a switch on the back).

I only use the reverb on one song we play that is swampy and needs extreme reverb. My Mesa has a good spring reverb that is always on.

If you have a setup that requires a trem and reverb, it's hard to beat the Flint.

However, my gripe with the Flint is the same as with other standard Strymons - for a really expensive digital pedal, why can't I have more than one preset. And given that I only rarely use the reverb, I've been thinking about the Chase Bliss Gravitas as it has more trem options and I can have more presets, and it already has a tap tempo.

Visual aid:
    [​IMG]

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  4. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks Henry! I think the single favorite w/o tap limitation should work out ok for me in most scenarios I can conceive of wanting to use the Flint in at the moment.

I would certainly highly recommend the Gravitas for a very earthy sounding Uber Trem. I'd almost consider grabbing another if it was stereo at this point. It's easily the most full featured Trem I've tried and the Faves switch seems to be working out well for me to provide a bunch of presets w/o having to add the complexity of full MIDI setups if you're not needing to coordinate changes for several pedals on your board at once.

5. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I really like mine. I don't use it as much since I've gotten a PRRI and a 68' Custom Deluxe as well as a Supro. All have great reverb and tremolo. I used to primarily use my flint though.

I don't think I'd ever be rid of it. The infinite decay in the reverb side can get some good shimmering sounds.

6. Mudshark

Mudshark Gretschie

Jul 20, 2012
    Canada
    I have a Flint as well as a Blue Sky. I also have a Diamond Trem but love that little black Strymon box especially the Harmonic variant.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018