Join Gretsch-Talk Today

To Flint or not to Flint...

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    So I've been on the edge of ordering a Strymon Flint for quite some time, but always seem to run into some other super awesome trem pedal used right when I've just about passed the threshold of finally ordering one.

Seems like it would be a really awesome combo pedal for me to have given that

a) I really love good spring verb and tube/optical/harmonic trems
    and
    b) A big majority of the amps I love playing through have neither of them onboard

The current mounting GAS attack for one is immediately motivated by the pending rekajigger of my recently assembled stereo board, kinda thinking of a layout like this:
    [​IMG]
    It would be replacing the Cusack Tap-A-Whirl V3 on this board, letting me put the trem where I want it in signal path and also giving me a couple dedicated spring sounds (and easier access to an additional trem sound) so I can let the BigSky focus more on other verb sounds (and provide some cool verb stacking options for space-ier ambient sounds).

I guess what I'm wondering is whether the Flint will wind up standing up against the really great dedicated pedals I've already got for spring verb and trem for me. I usually find demos to be marginally useful in answering this due to the nature of the delivery of the videos and that a good bit of what makes a pedal work for me is how it feels to play through it as much as how it's going to sound w/ my stuff. They can give me an idea of the capabilities and features well enough, but not necessarily how the implementation of said capabilities will work for me.

So I guess my actual question(s) for Flint owners past and present:
    Do you still have and/or use your Flint?
    Do you find it to beat out dedicated verb and/or trem pedals that you've tried?
    What sounds/functions do you find to be it's strongest and weakest?
    How does it do w/ preserving the dynamics you're feeding into it?

I know a lot of what I'm asking is subjective but I'm still interested in your feedback. Thanks!

Mudshark, audept and Wulfgang like this.
  2. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Do NOT go to Flint, Michigan. It's awful.

3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I like my flint, and I use regular trem the most, and also use the harmonic trem quite a bit as well. Don't use the optical or whatever it's called trem much aside from goofing around but it is really cool. I also have a T1m auxiliary pedal that has a tap tempo or favorite (two foot switches, but only one works at a time, via a switch on the back).

I only use the reverb on one song we play that is swampy and needs extreme reverb. My Mesa has a good spring reverb that is always on.

If you have a setup that requires a trem and reverb, it's hard to beat the Flint.

However, my gripe with the Flint is the same as with other standard Strymons - for a really expensive digital pedal, why can't I have more than one preset. And given that I only rarely use the reverb, I've been thinking about the Chase Bliss Gravitas as it has more trem options and I can have more presets, and it already has a tap tempo.

Visual aid:
    [​IMG]

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  4. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks Henry! I think the single favorite w/o tap limitation should work out ok for me in most scenarios I can conceive of wanting to use the Flint in at the moment.

I would certainly highly recommend the Gravitas for a very earthy sounding Uber Trem. I'd almost consider grabbing another if it was stereo at this point. It's easily the most full featured Trem I've tried and the Faves switch seems to be working out well for me to provide a bunch of presets w/o having to add the complexity of full MIDI setups if you're not needing to coordinate changes for several pedals on your board at once.

5. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I really like mine. I don't use it as much since I've gotten a PRRI and a 68' Custom Deluxe as well as a Supro. All have great reverb and tremolo. I used to primarily use my flint though.

I don't think I'd ever be rid of it. The infinite decay in the reverb side can get some good shimmering sounds.

6. Mudshark

Mudshark Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2012
    Canada
    I have a Flint as well as a Blue Sky. I also have a Diamond Trem but love that little black Strymon box especially the Harmonic variant.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Sort of self necro-ing this one but just wanted to close the circle since I finally did order a Flint last week. It just arrived yesterday and I've only had about an hour w/ it but so far I couldn't be happier w/ it.

Early favorites for me are the '63 tube trem and the '60s spring settings. Initial assessment is I've got better pedals for surfy spring drip, but it does a pretty admirable job in that role nonetheless IMO and the more subtle settings sound beautiful. The tube trem seemed like one of the closest to the real thing I've heard in pedal form and all of the models have a great crisp, clean, dynamic quality while still sounding nice and warm and organic to my ears. I think it will wind up being a perpetual pedalboard mainstay for me as long as I'm playing through amps that don't have good trem and spring onboard.

Haven't done any direct A/Bs between them but comparing the Flint trem to the Gravitas, so far I'm thinking the Flint does a much more convincing and clear amp trem simulation job and seems quicker to dial in while the Gravitas has a wonderful quirky/semi grungy quality to it and has several orders of magnitude more sounds in it for when you're feeling experimental. To me it seems like the Flint would be better for a live playing board where you're trying to provide really nice trem and verb for an amp that doesn't have it on board and the Gravitas' strengths might be more for recording/noise making/sonic exploration (not that it can't do nice amp trem-like sounds, it just takes a bit to find them and they're going be a bit chewier in character than the Flint's).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  8. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    The Flint is a nice pedal. 3 different Tremolo types plus a really nice sounding reverb. Works well going into the front end of an amp - doesn't butcher your signal like a lot of other pedals.

9. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Upon a bunch of further experimentation tonight (mostly still w/ the bias trem and 60s verb settings), I wish I would have ordered one years ago...

audept likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    How would you compare it to the gravitas?

11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Haven't done any direct A/Bs between them but comparing the Flint trem to the Gravitas, so far I'm thinking the Flint does a much more convincing and clear amp trem simulation job and seems quicker to dial in while the Gravitas has a wonderful quirky/semi grungy quality to it and has several orders of magnitude more sounds in it for when you're feelingexperimental. To me it seems like the Flint would be better for a live playing board where you're trying to provide really nice trem and verb for an amp that doesn't have it on board and the Gravitas' strengths might be more for recording/noise making/sonic exploration (not that it can't do nice amp trem-like sounds, it just takes a bit to find them and they're going be a bit chewier in character than the Flint's).

Henry likes this.
  12. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Flint is awesome. Period. Sounds fabulous. I’d get a favorite switch for it so you can have an extra preset.

13. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    You got that right ;)

I'm working on some pedalboard Tetris to try to get one of my favorite switches on the board I've got the Flint on.

Haven't spent more than about 10 minutes w/ either of the other verbs on it and maybe 15 w/ the harmonic trem. I'm thinking I might really want the preset once I get further into the other models on there.

TSims1 likes this.
  14. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I don't think the beauty of the Flint is how accurately it reproduces just about everything under the sun very well... It's that it does reproduce just about everything under the sun very well. While it's not the best individual pedal it's just that it has so much power and ability to tweak those parameters. You can really closely mimic so many pieces of gear, even enhance or remove certain qualities.

Like I said I've kinda shelved mine since getting 3 amps with tube verb and trem... I still come back for the Harmonic trem from time to time... but until I get my Champ clone overhauled my poor Flint is shelved.

15. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I dunno, for me I'm feeling the bias trem is pretty damn good and I've spent an embarrassing amount of money looking for that sound in stomp box. I think maybe the Cusack Tap-A-Whirl is about on even footing for me, but I think maybe the Flint has a more transparent/natural sound to me so far. Adding just the pretty darn good spring emulation on w/ it would just about make this box worth the price of admission for me w/o any of the other algorithms.

I did a bit of A/B ing of them vs. the onboards of the AST Pro last night and I think I'm about equally happy w/ either. The big spacey verb of the actual tube driven tank on the Swart is better for those huge spacey sounds, but I think the 60s setting on the Flint actually does more subtle/tasteful spring ambience better for me. The Trem really does seem like a wash to my ears so far. Of course everyone's mileage may vary ;)

Henry likes this.
  16. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    And we are all different. While I think the tremolo is totally excellent, I could care less about the spring reverb emulation(it sounds good, I just don’t care nor would use it). I LOOOOVE the 80s verb and the enveloping warm ambient endless decay it offers. SO good.

17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    After some internal debate I may get a mobius as it has all the trem side form the flint. I use 3 or 4 settings on the flint for songs we play, I hate twisting knobs between songs. Mobius will give all the presets I need plus some other mods I've considered but wouldn't want to get a dedicated pedal for.

Anyone have experience with the flint and the mobius trem?

18. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    This place is expensive. This thread made me buy a Flint today.

19. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    LOL, sorry man :eek: I'd imagine it should be a good tool for you though anyways. You using that Sweet Spot mostly or DI lately?

20. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Kinda depends......been branching out and playing a lot of different dates lately, and for that stuff I’m playing my pedalboard into a direct rig. Up at the church I’m actually plugging into a Fender Bassbreaker 15 right now and I love it.

Sid Nitzerglobin and Bertotti like this.