To California Bay Area members

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I see PG&E has shut you down. So you probably can’t connect right now, but I hope you’re all safe and well till power comes back on.

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A week without power to prevent forest fires.
    Good luck, all.

3. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I really hope this method works.

4. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Punishment for the multitudes after PG&E faulted for having poorly maintained lines that caused fires.
    I'd go off-grid and cut their wires to my house...

Ric12String likes this.
  5. salvatore

salvatore Electromatic

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    I thought the first duty of municipalities that provide power was to provide electricity to its customers, and to restore it if it is interrupted . Nowadays the first duty is to terminate it if...if...
    How about trimming trees around power poles and lines?

6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I understand sort of. However, I don’t trust PG&E. They got monster fines for their deadly unground gas explosion a few years ago in the Bay Area and are still running a PR campaign in the media trying to undo their seriously tarnished image. Spend those dollars on infrastructure upgrades instead. Now they are responsible for one of the worst fire disasters in modern history, the Paradise fire.

Now they intend to shut off power for up to 5 days at a time during high winds. Absolutely unacceptable. We have winds constantly different times of the year with heat. We should not be in this position, they need to get their infrastructure together. If they can’t, the state needs to step in, step in hard.

Signed
    Disgruntled PG&E customer

Ric12String and new6659 like this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I heard abut this today on the way to work . As most know , I work f/t at our local Utility Company ( p/t at the PD Animal Control ) . I hope this works , seems sensible . I heard it's due to high winds that could knock down " live " power lines and that could start the fire's all over again . Fingers crossed on this one

8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Seems to be a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

They'll probably have to raise rates to cover lost income.

9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I dont see any tigers, so it works! ;)

10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I ran my generator and kept both our refrigerators cold over the last 24 hours. Power just came back on.

Zeek and Sabato like this.
  11. salvatore

salvatore Electromatic

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    I find it fascinating that some citizens seem to apathetically accept living without power because that’s just the way it is nowadays, kind of like an Act of God that is out of their hands.
    If this type of policy affected my home I would be disappointed that the state government who shuts it off would not demand that PG &E figure out a way to guarantee power safely regardless of weather conditions , kind of like it used to be.

radd likes this.
  12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Im thinking about their reasoning that the shutdown was for safety, as soon as i heard it i was like " you know everybody's gonna run their generators" that's no fire hazardo_O

radd likes this.
  13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yep. We are just waiting for someone to volunteer to pay for it.

wildeman likes this.
  14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Its a total political game.......that we apathetically ( is that a real word:D) accept.

15. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

I’m just not buying this from PG&E. They would have to cut power to everybody every time there was wind and warm weather. This is California, those weather conditions are often.

16. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Game! "You guys aren't maintaining the land" " no, you guy's aren't maintaining your gear" meanwhile nobody does anything.

17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    One notice I received indicated that based on past years and the shutoff criteria, Sonoma County can expect 5-6 shutoffs a year.

18. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

That will cover about 5% of the warm windy days

19. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    No power for a day or two... what's the big deal? It'll just be a fun little adventure, kind of like camping... right?

:rolleyes:

Oh yeah... food in the fridge, crap loads of frozen food in the full-size freezer, life-saving medical equipment to run, air conditioning for some folks in some places... yada yada. PG&E just sucks.

Generators become a must-have for many.

20. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    The Utilities have plenty of dough, they just want to continue to milk the cash cow without making investments. Here in New England, having power lines above ground is antiquated, dangerous, and unreliable, but the power companies are not going to spend their own money to do anything about it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice