Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Tips on optimizing Vox AC15

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by gtttrrr, Oct 11, 2017.

1. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Any tip ls for a new Vox user? Having trouble--Without the OCD-- or any pedal - - - , trying to perfectly balance the full distorted "top boost", which I LOVE, as a super pick-responsive grunge,,, and the Crystal clean "normal channel" which I can dial in to chime wonderfully... For some reason, I'm having troubleachieving both with ABY switching set up. My cleans are too dirty, or my dirtys are too cleano_O.
    I can get two sounds that i drool over, just cant seem to get them both at ABY switch, always have to tweak knobs. I suppose a guy could have heavier problems:rolleyes:.

Kinda inserted into another discussion, got 1 great replay , wondering if anyone else would like to post their take on the above?
    2017-10-11 18.35.52.jpg

2. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I've not had great success balancing with an A/B on my AC30, but have gotten it to where it is enjoyable. I love to jump channels (or use the Y mode).
    Following this thread!
    I love my AC30 though!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    gtttrrr likes this.
  3. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Gretschie

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    I have some observations to share.
    I was hoping an ABY pedal would have afforded me the option of a two channel amp with a boost feature. What I found was that if I wanted to maintain the same volume level when switching from A<>B, the gain/drive level is the same, but each "channel" had a different voice based on how I set the EQ on the TB channel. My cleans are always slightly dirty, and I play 3 different guitars through this rig: a LP with P90's, a G5420 with Blacktops, and a G&L ASAT semi hollow Tele with single coils. Each guitar sounds different through the AC15C1, and to take it a step further, each guitar likes a certain channel, maybe prefers is a better word here.
    So getting back to my base settings, the normal channel is what it is, being that it does not have any EQ adjustability. The top boost channel is set slightly darker. The way I achieve differing levels of drive is with 2 OD pedals. First OD drive level is set for slightly more than just the amp itself. Next pedal has a higher level of drive, and for solos or accent parts, both drive pedals on to "stack" the drive levels, which pushes the amp's tubes harder to reach gain saturation. Hopefully that makes sense.
    I am curious how other AC15C1 user's setups are.

zebulon likes this.
  4. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Gretschie

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    ^
    And the Y feature gives a distinct volume boost

gtttrrr likes this.
  5. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I like the jump as well, but I'm really impressed with the grungy rhythm of the top boost dimed, would love to be able to find that tone, AND the chimey clean,, Maybe just get another to switch between.. :D
    My mesa Subway Roccket has a real nice clean, but not Voxy enough for me now that I've heard the AC15 clean

6. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    The best way to optimize a Vox ac15 is to sell it and get a Vox ac10. ;)

7. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I certainly dont need the volume of the 15,,,amazed at how well this things sonically slams through in a jam, without even breakin a sweat.

8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    But I do like the lkw end of a 12"speaker better than a 10...I have a 10“ boogie combo, fed into a marshall 4x10“ cab,,, so all the tight 10" tones aplenty...

zebulon likes this.
  9. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I was totally kidding kinda not really! As an aside though in all seriousness.........the ac10 SOUNDS like a much bigger amp than it is. That’s the magic of it.

The ac15 is a great amplifier, I simply think it’s too heavy for what it is and that the reverb is pretty lackluster. The ac10 is like half the weight and the reverb(though digital)sounds better.

zebulon, gtttrrr and Lizardkinged like this.
  10. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    An eq with output control should allow you to compensate for the different channels. In theory.

11. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    From the switch into a blues driver with the gain down into the normal channel ( a pretty clean boost) and the other output straight into the top boost channel.
    However i have to say my favourite set up is to split from the ab switch into the normal channel of the ac15 and into my Peavey classic.

12. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I should clarify my earlier post-
    I have found when using an ABY that I am able to get a few sound that I like, however, I am not able to set one for clean and one for dirty. That is controllable though with picking/ strumming dynamics. I do use boosts to goose my amps. I like the Nocturne stuff primarily, but use others as well. And yes as rockinforjesus mentioned, there is a boost when combining the channels and with Vox AC circuits, there always tends to be a little bit of dirt in the cleans. Thats sort of what makes a Vox a Vox. It took me a while to bond with my AC30 but now that I really understand it and the speakers are nice and broken in, I couldn't be happier.

gtttrrr, TSims1 and rockinforJesus like this.
  13. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Yes. And bear in mind, a Vox ac15 is NOT really an amp you are gonna look to spectacular cleans for. They don’t stay clean long, and if you put anything in front of them boost-wise or other as Srellim has said they break up that much quicker. Vox is THE amp however(imo) for ever so slightly dirty tones. Which is where MY clean tone starts. Lol

rockinforJesus and gtttrrr like this.
  14. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Yeah, I don't gig, so the weight is not an issue, the occasional jam outside of my mancave is handled with the small, lightweight boogie. It does pristine cleans, so I could use that, but I do like the "dirty cleans" of the vox at times as well .... I think it's settled, 2 AC15's, and 1 AC10,alongside the Mesa Subway,, with custom switching setup should bout get me where I need to be,,,,, gofund me link to follow....

15. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Yeah, the reverb could definitely be more usable, i fin it nice between 0 and 0.75,,,that's bout it for most playing,,,, anybody try the replacement?

16. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    The best reverb pedal that I’ve ever had was a Van Amps Sole Mate which employs a Mod 3 spring tank. The springs in it are shorter than the amp tank version. I regret selling it, but it wasn’t practical on a board (space wise). People swear by the Mod tank upgrade. If the Sole Mate is an indication as to the quality, I can see why.

zebulon likes this.
  17. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Gretschie

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I have a hall of fame reverb that I use,,, it's decent, more usable than onboard the AC15. Anyone that has swapped the AC15 tank , please chime in...

18. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Does your AC - 10 still have its original speaker?

TSims1 likes this.
  19. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Yep.

MTurner likes this.