Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Thumbpickers club: post your own experience

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by emicad, Dec 27, 2016.

1. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    Yes, I find myself using my middle and ring finger for double stops even if I use a thumbpick. You can do both with a thumbpick, but you can't with a flatpick.
    I find thumbpicks very useful also for strumming at fast tempos (swing, gypsy jazz or high speed power chords). They're stable an my right hand is way more relaxed.

2. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    I really like the Fred Kelly thumbpicks myself. I've been using some that a buddy gave me, but they were the thin ones. Just got these in today. I grabbed a couple of mediums and heavy's to see how they do. I needed something a little bit stronger when transitioning to speed picking. Can't wait to give them a go.

fredkellythumbpicks.jpg

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's hard to lose that one, too---and it's always at hand.

Random1643 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I guess, I'm a hybrid picker, which seems too fancy for me as I simply have never managed to use a thumbpick.

You guys are brothers? ;)

Random1643 and MBERTHOLD like this.
  6. Sonny Strimple

Sonny Strimple Synchromatic

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    Hmmm, now you've got me wondering, I did also grow up in the Midwest.

Random1643, MBERTHOLD and Henry like this.
  7. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    I like the bog standard Dunlop Tortoise Shell ones. I used to boil them a bit to loosen them up but I'm used to them now without doing that.

After a few sessions they loosen up (a bit) naturally and eventually after some months they snap because the plastic bend in them gets fatigued. I only go through half a dozen a year probably though.

8. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    Slick Picks are very good as swiss knife for everything, but I prefer the sound of a sharper point for Travis picking bass lines. The attack is brighter, more defined, and it makes the slapback delay sound more rich.
    I started using a Fred Kelly Speed Pick and for now I'm loving it, but it's not very comfortable for single lines.
    [​IMG]

DonnyDorsal likes this.
  9. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

I try to use em but it feels so weird, I tried hybrid pickin, holding a pick n using the rest of the fingers, worked "better"(hardly haha)for me. However it would be a dream learning to use one, I believe its all about that pattern ones gotta learn, separate the thumb movement from the rest of the fingers. I use all my five fingers when I play, its pretty weird but its hard to learn or practice a new style of playing. FEELS like it would take the rest of my time learrning to use a thumb pick but its may e worth giving it more TIME;) maybe if one could find a good instruction video (and go "Clockwork orange style") and motivation first...that would be something

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Roger49 and emicad like this.
  10. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    It's easier than you think, believe me. It took me a couple of weeks to separate the thumb from the rest of my fingers and play very simple/basic patterns. Advanced patterns are harder to play efficiently, but the basic stuff wasn't hard for me. You can do it with your fingers, a thumbpick, or a flatpick.
    I started with this book:
    [​IMG]

MBERTHOLD and Sonny Strimple like this.
  11. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

Thanks! Great advice.

12. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    I use hybrid picking pretty much on everything. I need to go back and clean up my Travis picking. I got it "close enough" to be able to pull off some of the Setzer/Gatton/Scotty Moore stuff, but I'd really like to clean it up. I also need to work on using a thumbpick. It didn't bother me too bad, but it was uncomfortable on my thumb. Maybe I should boil it to reshape. I've used the Kelly slick picks. For flat picks, I use the Dunlop Tortex jazz shape that's .88 MM I believe-the slime green ones.

MBERTHOLD likes this.
  13. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My problem is just the darn thumbpick - never found a comfy one that stays put and I also use a tiny pick point and most of them feel like I'm trying to play with an oar.

Roger49 likes this.
  14. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    @Henry, I have the SAME problem, and it's ultimately that that makes using a thumbpick an occasional thing with me. I had one that I was attempting to cut/shave, but it was a failed experiment. I may get one of my others and file it to approximate the pick area I have with a flat pick. If I could get that right, I'd be much more apt to using one.

Henry likes this.
  15. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Another thumbpicker user here. I started from scratch by just buying a pick 5 years ago and never looked back. I don't think I even remember how it was to use a pick..:D I was simply tired of my Townshend style (and to have always bloody or broken nails.. I was a very violent strummer..) and wanted do try something different. It hasn't been easy though, I've never been a skilled left hand player even when I use mixed techniques a-la-Setzer.. At the very beginning I developed a sort of transitional playing by grabbing the thumbpick with my finger and using it as a pick (I always used very thick picks anyway), now I'm all fingers and thumbpick. I prefere to use my nails even if they broke or worn out, I love that bassy pick you obtaint picking with some nail and the top of your fingers. Also, this technique is great for the delta style I'm learning now.
    I always used Medium National picks, I'm used to cut them myself on the shape I love (short, but not very short).
    Still diggin' those power chords and windmills though..:D A windmill _ broken string and some finger blood it's still a good showstopper..;)

16. Random1643

Random1643 Synchromatic

May 10, 2015
    Upper Midwest, USA
    And I grew up in Philly and then moved to the Midwest. Coincidence or happenstance, you be the judge.

Henry likes this.
  17. Sonny Strimple

Sonny Strimple Synchromatic

May 8, 2011
    Western Maryland
    I lived in Burbank, Illinois, southwest side of Chicago. Nice little area. Fun growing up there in the 50's !

Random1643 likes this.
  18. MBERTHOLD

MBERTHOLD Country Gent

Got me thinking, is there any good site or book were you could find chord shapes thatll fit in thumb picking. Ive found for example that a B7th chord can be moved down to the 7th fret making E(leaving the bottom e string open) chord for example, those kind of things..if that makes any sence. I dont know hlw to read music but If I sit down n practice those kind of chords/tricks are really cool, fun and usefull. I dont really like single note playing, more chord based playing.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  19. Dead Roman

Dead Roman Country Gent

Dec 22, 2015
    Texas
    Sorry, forgot to post pics.

I am going to give the speed picks a try as well. I have a large bag of slicks picks(24 I think) if anybody wants one I will send em out to folks until I run out.

Attached Files:

20. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I'm a hybrid picker AKA "Nashville Claw".. same sound, same response and no effin thing to get caught on the string in an upstroke.
    I keep a bag of National white mediums but even w some heating and filing the damn things always get caught on the string sooner than later. So hybrid w 1mm flat picks are the go to.

21. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    could you repost with the full size picture option so I dont have to open ANOTHER WINDOW to see them..
    thanks so much..
    sincerely, lazymofo