Thoughts on wound G string

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mandobandit, May 14, 2019.

1. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I prefer wound Gs but i now use TI jazz 11s, and the wound G is too hard to bend as much as I need so I replace it with an unwound string of the same gauge, P19.

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    They chafe a bit but you get used to it.

wabash slim, Trash Kidd and audept like this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    :eek::eek:

wildeman likes this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I was using these until I went to the .012 set of NYXL with the wound G but now use TI 12s, a couple with the jazz swing and a couple with jazz bebops. I never ever broke an NYXL string though to me they did sound more twangy than the regular DA, as long as I am able I will continue to use the TI strings.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 7:13 AM
    thunder58 likes this.
  5. unbridled

unbridled Synchromatic

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    I do need to point out that, although I use the wound G live, if I was to do studio work, I'd have to switch to an unwound G or swap my bridge back to the factory unit, because my Compton is for an unwound G. There isn't a huge disparity in intonation, but it is there.

6. Grand Marquis GT

Grand Marquis GT Electromatic

Mar 2, 2017
    Abilene, TX
    I rock the same strings in flatwound. 10-48!

7. ramjac

ramjac Electromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I was getting some annoying wolf tones from behind the bridge on my 5122. Switching to a wound G took care of it. Switching back to an unwound G took care of the tendinitis in my ring finger.

8. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm a rhythm player, so, I'm more about a fatter tone than bending strings. Wound G works well for me.

9. macatt

macatt Gretschie

Mar 18, 2011
    Silverdale WA
    Not for me.
    It's a very common move to bend the unwound b and g strings together simultaneously.
    The pitch naturally raises 1/2 step on the b and 1 whole step on the g string.
    In a pentatonic type scale position that gives you a 7th and a 5th interval when bent. Sounds great and I use it often in different situations.
    BUT you can't do this with a wound g.

S Mac

audept likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice