Thoughts on the 5620T and go....

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by SWoody, Nov 6, 2018.

1. SWoody

SWoody Electromatic

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
    I've found a couple reasonably priced 5620T's but I don't see them mentioned or anyone playing them. Thoughts pro and con??? Thanks.

2. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Gretschie

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I love mine.

It looks great, plays great & I love the way the Blacktops & centreblock work together. Only upgrade I made was swapping the bridge for a Compton.

Play one, it's perhaps not a pure "Gretsch" sound - so it really depends on what sound you're after. I use it mainly for rock/dirt stuff. It's also weighty. Playing it for an hour or so standing up is a workout.

Having said that..it's the guitar in my collection I'd find it hardest to part with.

Attached Files:

3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Pay attention to the generation, as there are 2 versions. The newer gen is lighter and has slightly better electronics. It will not say electromatic on the headstock, but on the pickguard. I personally love the super hilotron if it has one.

Merc, Mr Swisher and SWoody like this.
  4. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I love my previous gen one. Modded it up pretty well (B6 for the B7, Copper Compton, TVJ Classic+ and SuperTron, bone nut), but stock it was pretty awesome as well and really pretty versatile. I find mine post mods has a lot more of what I'd consider "classic" Gretsch sounds and some nice jazzy cleans as well, and covers everything up to doom on the dirt continuum from there.

The only downside is the weight, every one I've picked up is at least 10+ lbs. I guess one other con is the pretty bad high fret access, but that's going to be the case w/ most of the long neck joint Gretsches.
    [​IMG]
    It's probably my favorite Electromatic I've owned.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  5. SWoody

SWoody Electromatic

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
    Do you know what year the 2nd gen started or about? The one's I'm considering are around 2013-14. I played one and it didn't seem THAT heavy. Thx

6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    '13 & '14 will be the early permutation. Mine's a '15. Key identifiers for the current ones will be the narrower headstock w/o the Electromatic text on it (they moved it to the pickguard). It wears the weight pretty well and doesn't seem to produce any acute points of discomfort, but playing it w/ the band for a couple hours was every bit as fatiguing as my heaviest Les Pauls.

I think I recall seeing my first of the reworked 562x ones in late 2017 so probably the 2018 model year???

7. radd

radd Gretschie

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Fantastic guitar. Fit and finish rivals my Gretsch Pro Tennessee Rose.

Mods: locking tuners, Bigsby Fix, cream pick guard, ABM 2400 roller bridge and Dunlop strap locks.

6FCB7F8D-7D22-40C6-BD17-CFD330B33903.jpeg

SWoody likes this.
  8. I have a first gen 5620. I’ve modded it quite a bit (ABM roller bridge, TVJ Classic+ and TVJ Supertron, treble bleed on MV, new pots for MV and tone, strap locks). You might think that the stock guitar wasn’t that good. But just the opposite. I wouldn’t do these mods if I didn’t think the stock guitar was good. I just made it better, at least for me. I mod most of my guitars.

SWoody likes this.
  9. Merc

Merc Electromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I had no idea they made them a little lighter/without the Electro headstock because I’ve never seen one without it. Thanks for posting.

Always yearned for a cat eyes Gretsch. Wish they'd do a pro-line with them again so one wouldn’t have to mod so much