Thoughts on my G5120

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Skibbers, Mar 5, 2020.

1. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Consider the string lock tying method and using Bens Nut Lube. 5120 cleaned up.jpg

Skibbers likes this.
  2. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    If you wanna keep the P90's I think you'll have to wrap some 220-grit sandpaper around a 1X1 stick of wood, after easing the edges of said stick, and make the pickguard fit. Not sure I've seen a pickguard for p90's and a 5120.
    As was said earlier, if you want 'the' Gretsch sound go with Filtertron style pups, but it's your call of course. Personally, I like the look without a pickguard. Again, that's your personal preference/playing style. Not sure I'm totally used to playing mine without one, but I'm committed at this point. I use my pinky as a 'brace', and without one I use the neck pup edge. Still feels odd, but as I said I'm committed. Can't bring myself to remove it from my Les Paul however. Sorry Slash, I'm more Jimmy Page.

3. Skibbers

Skibbers Electromatic

Feb 21, 2020
    Minneapolis
    I put the P-90’s in so I’m definitely keeping them. They’re stock size to the guitar. All of the G5120’s came with humbucker sized pickups so a pick guard that came in the bag labeled 5120 should fit. I might save the pick guard for future use and paint the back of the clear one.

4. jay_mci

jay_mci Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    indiana
    That silver pickguard looks like its for filtertrons

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice