This Movie.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by wildeman, Jun 10, 2019.

1. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’m a big Lynch fan, but I totally understand people’s distaste for the new Twin Peaks. I enjoyed it, but unlike the original series, I’ve only watched it once through. However, it should be noted that Mark Frost did indeed co-write the new series as well. Also, with the exception of the original pilot, the handful of episodes of the original series that Lynch directed personally were always very very “Lynchian” with that extreme heightened sense of reality. As if the show was someone’s bizarre dream of what a dramatic tv show is.

I am a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The Hobbit, not so much. They stretched that story out to make more movies to make more money.

NJDevil likes this.
  2. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I was a big Lynch fan before Twin Peaks even came out, "Blue Velvet" heightened it and "Twin Peaks" sealed the deal. My favorite of his movies? That's tough but "Mulholland Drive" probably just edges "Lost Highway" for me.

The pilot and Episode 1 of Season 2 in Twin Peaks really had a great balance of the "Lynchian" magic and focused story telling.

As viewers, we want it all and Twin Peaks did that for me....or at least up to 2 or 3 episodes after Leland was identified as Laura's killer. Season 3 actually had heightened magic...Episode 8 is one of my favorite episodes in the series. My gripe is that while I watched it with no expectations, there were continuity issues (ie. The Hawk and Margaret conversations really had little impact) with that original "mystery of those woods" with Dougie Jones (I know the importance of it), and circling back to investigating the complexity of the whole that makes Cooper (he's not just all about damn good coffee). But......

The birth of the story came from Mark Frost from his grandmothers nighttime stories about the real Hazel Drew murder in NY State in 1908. Mark Frost created around 75% of the characters. Mix this with Lynch and we got Twin Peaks. Frost though is more of a linear story teller though and Season 3 turned less into a story and more of an illustration of Lynch's concept that with the good and sweet, we have to have the bad and sour.

Times change and I knew we couldn't get the campy part of the original run.....That's cool and times change. BUT..... the original mood that really defined the original run and endeared so many fans was missing for many of us in Season 3. I watched most of S3 episodes twice but I find myself going back and re-watching the original run.

BorderRadio and calebaaron666 like this.
  3. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest remains one of my favorite movies. I re-watch it about every other year.....

wildeman likes this.
  4. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Thanks for the heads up, Rich. You're the second person I know who had the same reaction..... It's now off my list.

thunder58 likes this.
  5. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I can agree to pretty much all of that. My favorite original series episodes are the first two of season 2 and the final episode. I guess that says where my head is at! :)
    In Season 3 I was most moved by the episode showing the birth of BOB. I don’t remember the ep number, but what an amazing event that was! I kind wanna just watch that again!

I remember being so excited for Lost Highway, and loving it right up until Marilyn Manson appears as himself at the end. Talk about taking you out of the story! Even if I didn’t kinda hate him already, it was too “of the time”. Also, Lynch’s use of Rammstein or what ever they’re called... lame. These were things I just couldn’t overlook, and haven’t been able to since. It’s like he painted this amazing beautiful dark picture and then tainted it.

Mulholland Drive is his masterstroke. Even Lynch-hater Roger Ebert fell head over heels for that one. I saw it twice opening weekend. My gal got me the fancy criterion blu ray a couple years ago. I’m due to watch that again.

But my favorite is still Eraserhead. It’s one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. It definitely has gotten scarier the older I get. It’s definitely how I Imagine being a parent is really like.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 9:13 PM
  6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Damn man, i ain't seen Eraser Head in 30 years.......now I'm scared

7. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    You already have a happy family so the horror of parenthood might not affect you as much as it does me.
    You gotta see it in HD. The blu ray is amazing!
    Or in a theater of course.

8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It ain't so bad;)

calebaaron666 likes this.
  9. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Nothing scares me more than that!

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    TMC just ran "Eraserhead" last Sunday PM/Monday AM.
    Weird as all getout.

Lynch did "Dune" as well.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  11. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    No way?! Eraserhead on cable?! That’s awesome!

Yes, after directing Dune, he learned to always have the authority over final cut added to his contracts.
    Some people hate that movie. I really enjoy it. The extra long extended version can be hard to watch. That was cobbled together by the studio for TV I think.

12. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It was on at 3AM. Ya gotta check the TB Glide listings.

"Dune" was originally four hours, so, they kept cutting it back. They also listed Alan Smithee as the famous nonexistent director for quite awhile as Lynch didn't want to be held responsible for a long time. Jadorowsky's Dune would've been interesting. I'm looking forward to the new version. I saw the original in the theater. You know it'll be involved when they give you a guidebook to read before the film. "Dune" got me an A in a uni Sci-Fi course. The prof was friends with Herbert. That book was half of the class. As to the movie, you know it was an odd one when the last line in it was, "For he truly is the Quizats Hadderach!"

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 3:06 AM
  13. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Jadorosky’s Dune would’ve been amazing. David Carradine as Paul, and Orson Wells as Baron Harkonnen!!

BorderRadio likes this.
  14. RoyClark

RoyClark Electromatic

Apr 13, 2019
    Stafford UK
    I've never watched it, The title puts me off.

15. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You should watch it. Great story, great cast.

5120mantis likes this.
  16. afire

afire Country Gent

I saw Dune in the theater. I was eight years old and got pretty much nothing from it. But I'm a Lynch fan now and have been meaning to give it a shot.

17. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Read the book first. Seriously. The movie "deviates" from the story. The book is ten times more involved and gives the depth and subtle nuances that the film never could. The movie has visual images that reinforce what the book had, but, it also has many incongruencies that are not in the book.

18. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Seriously. I watched this with a bunch of friends in high school, and we had to pause the movie constantly because no one knew what the heck was going on, as the only one to have read the book, I had to explain everything. The movie is really confusing unless you've read the book imo. Sting was also awesome.

wabash slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice