This Movie.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by wildeman, Jun 10, 2019.

1. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal

I love it.

section2, BorderRadio, swivel and 8 others like this.
  2. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Great movie

My favorite scenes were the boat outing and when McMurphy shuffled in like he was lobotomized and freaked out the other patients ( with a wink to Chief).

A great cast too, besides the obvious Nicholson, there was the mentioned DevIto, Scatman Crothers, Louise Fletcher, Angelica Huston, Christopher LLoyd...

And the director Milos Forman made another one of my favorites, Amadeus.
    I worked in the movie theater when that came out and I had it dialed in on the surround sound system we had back then.

section2 and thunder58 like this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Definitely a top notch movie, for a lot of reasons, not the least of which were the great performances.

section2 likes this.
  4. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Great movie from start to finish and for many so many reasons.

Brad Dourif as Billy was really an fresh gem on the acting seen earning a Golden Globe and an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting actor. He could've easily rode that into mainstream fame but he paved a different path that, upon hearing him interviewed, provided the most rewarding path for his career.

He's done a ton of voice work....horror flicks (voice of Chucky is one example of many), small/odd side roles like his part in David Lynch's "Blue Velvet" and "Dune", tons of TV work like "Murder She Wrote", Babylon 5, and a regular on the cable series "Deadwood" while still showing his face in big budget movies like his deputy role opposite Gene Hackman in "Mississippi Burning" which really proved this guy can play anything.

section2, wildeman and calebaaron666 like this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’m a big Dourif fan. The man can deliver an amazing monologue.
    His long monologue in the attic in The Graveyard Shift is the best scene of that movie. His scenes in William Peter Blatty’s Exorcist III chilled me to the bone when I was a kid.
    Let’s not forget about his contributions to The lord of The Rings trilogy as well!

NJDevil likes this.
  6. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Great points that really expand Brad's talent even further! He just seems to have the gift to deliver exactly what is need without stealing the scene but instead help make the best out of what the scene could be.

He really creates the character....and it seems he certainly can play whatever he wants perfectly!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    calebaaron666 likes this.
  7. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Great movie with so many great actors

8. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Excellent movie . A lot better that what I saw over the weekend ...( " Rocketman " , don't waist your time or money , 2 hrs of my life I'll never get back )

9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    That's what my wife said after she saw it.

10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    double post

thunder58 likes this.
  11. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    The best part of Cuckoo's nest the first time you watch it is when Mc Murphy finds out they are all there voluntarily.
    Best picture oscar for that year. Beating my favorite movie, Jaws.

wildeman and calebaaron666 like this.
  12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I Was on a bike run with my buddy and we stopped in Clearlake Ca. to get something to eat and take a break, he goes into the restraunt and comes out all excited......." dude, you'll never guess who's in there"? He starts tryin to describe and finally says " the bald biker from Weird Science" i say "Micheal Berryman" right as he opens the door and walks over to check out our bikes! He said "thats me" and came over and talked to us for 10 or 15 minutes! Such a cool guy..... Screenshot_2019-06-11-17-02-19-1.png

5120mantis and calebaaron666 like this.
  13. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Awesome story!!
    He’s in one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time!
    0F1BC1C1-7071-4EA3-A527-AF5ACEDD6302.jpeg
    It’s where I’ve gotten all of my fashion ideas!

5120mantis, wildeman and BorderRadio like this.
  14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    One of those cases where the movie just about equals the book. Anybody seen Magic Trip? Been on my watch list..

15. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    And it’s been said that Ken Kesey detested the film. I guess it’s his work, so that’s allowed, but it really is just as great as the novel.

MotorCentaur and BorderRadio like this.
  16. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    And very much different than the original authors' of books that Stanley Kubrick turned into movies.......from Arthur C Clarke's "2001: A Space Odyssey" to Stephen King's disapproval of his film vision of "The Shining".

17. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    As a lifelong lover of Horror, I’ve made fellow monster-kids very upset when I’ve mentioned just how much I dislike Kubrick’s The Shining. I think Kubrick was a genius, and I love his Clockwork Orange (which was very very different than the novel), but his interpretation of The Shining just misses King’s mark by acres. I could bore you with a list of why I think it’s lame, but you can just refer to Kings reasons why he didn’t like it. I share his viewpoint.

18. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Robert Heinlein would roll in his grave over "Starship Troopers". Clive Cussler wasn't too happy with the film versions of "Raise the Titanic" and "Sahara". The "Lord of the Rings" got chopped up and important characters and parts were missing, and "The Hobbit" was massively expanded, adding characters not in the book. Clarke's "2001" was put together from a half dozen short stories, and then they added parts to tie them together. Hollywood's always played fast and loose with their source material. Sometimes it's necessary.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  19. I remember seeing One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest in high school when it first came out. Made an impression at an impressionable age.

One thought that comes to my mind often when I see and hear someone saying something ridiculous or vile is, “Where’s Chief and his pillow?” Like his humane tactic could put this idiot out of his/her misery and save the world from this unnecessary stupidity.

Every organization could have a Chief and a couple closets of pillows... to be activated onkyvat the precise and necessary moments.

In truth, I’m not really advocation smothering a jerk. But we can entertain fantasies.

It’s an obscure reference with more and more folks around who haven’t seen the film....
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

new6659 likes this.
  20. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Agree Wabash and after having read all 3 books in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy many times thru the years, I know how much was changed. I thought the changes/omissions were well executed and the cast was top notch so I didn't gripe too much but I like the vision of the story in my mind and not even watching the movies changed it.

Kubrick made movies not so much to tell a story but via a model of visual opus as more art over linear plot. Clarke had a definitive point and King just wasn't ready to have his story shaped into something different than what his book constructed.

This is my problem with David Lynch. Not that he changed scripts or books but to his own admission, he visually created via his direction what his own imagination conjured. For the recent Showtime 18 episode of a 3rd season of Twin Peaks, many people were disappointed for this. In turn it caused "Lynch fans" from defending to the death what was aired that summer of '17 vs. Twin Peaks fans who wanted more story telling......the same story that Lynch fans hate to admit and that was Twin Peaks was really the creation of co-creator Mark Frost.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice