This guy LOVES this Eastman Les Paul style guitar

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Jun 23, 2019.

1. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    This. There are a lot of factors that go into selecting a guitar (color being the most important per a thread here I recall from last month ...). If resale is one of yours (it’s definitely one of mine) then I can see having doubts about pulling the trigger on one of these. Buying a Gibson or a Fender (or, I”ll say it: even a Gretsch) is like buying a truck with four wheel drive or a house in the suburbs with a huge kitchen and 4.5 bathrooms.

blueruins likes this.
  2. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Gibson actually stole the open book headstock too. It existed long before. Fast forward to 11 minutes and you’ll see a mandolin from 1880 with it. I do agree that a more unique headstock would’ve been better to identify it as a different brand from a far.

Henry likes this.
  3. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I found that video both interesting and annoying. Annoying in that the guy should have just skipped the butchered intellectual property rant and just focused on the interesting find of the 1880s mandolin. We don’t know the full history of that mandolin, but legal issues aside, it does seem hard to reconcile its existence with a video diatribe appealing to the masses to play “original”.

Merc likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The Eastman seems different enough to me.
    But in general. It seems a rite of passage thing. Make (close enough) copies first, get people to take notice, then hit the market with their own stuff.

Henry and Merc like this.
  5. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    I play an Eastman LP style guitar when I take lessons. Its solid.

6. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, contrary to some complaints here, neither the body nor headstock on the guitar in the video are exactly like that of a Gibson Les Paul, but for those upset that Eastman's designs may too closely evoke instruments purveyed by other, more established brands, do not feast your eyes on this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    https://www.eastmanguitars.com/t58_v

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  7. tdtom

tdtom Gretschie

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    thank you for the Eastwood correction. Just saw Eastwood Backlund guitar on the NZ version of ebay.... it was $2700. New Zealand dollars...

8. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I can't put classical instruments such as violins & cellos or for that matter drum sets in the same category as electric guitars. It you very the shape or size too much the sound will change. Electric instruments are different - many more parts that will affect the way the instrument sounds. 335, Les Paul, Telly, Strat, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, etc. are all very different. Not only in the way they look but the way they sound and feel.
    These knock offs try their best to copy the sound and feel of the guitars they are copying.
    My Carvin DC 127 is a variation of the Strat design but the headstock and body shape is very different. The wood they use (Koa) the pickup configuration (Humbucker) the bridge design, tension, neck through body and access to the highest fret is totally different than a Strat. I own a Fender Strat and it's a totally different guitar than my Carvin.
    That's a much different thing than Eastman or Ibanez or who ever copying the body shape including the wood selection, the head stock, pickup configuration, bridge, tail piece. They even copied the look of the plastic keys for God sake. I mean really it's nothing original about that and after a while it just gets boring.

9. afire

afire Country Gent

IMO, it's the inlays that cross the line from LP inspired to LP knockoff.

That's actually kind of backwards. They started as a bowed instrument company then branched into acoustic flat tops and acoustic/electric archtops, some leaning traditional, some decidedly modern/original. It's only more recently that they've added 175ish and 335ish models (like nearly every other guitar company since the early '60s.) and only very recently an LPish model (like most guitar companies since the late '60s).

Knock them all you want for this current foray into knockoff territory, but the criticism that they haven't "come up with their own designs" just isn't accurate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Well there are electric violins as well as upright basses. And there has been a few attempts throughout the years. But not what the paying public by large in part want. They want tradition.

A9D330AB-C8F2-481E-B41D-6B5F054B70C7.jpeg F7DC92E5-F298-479D-B760-94843288C18C.jpeg 7E79154C-0628-4BB2-A2FD-13F8548600D5.jpeg 436A0CAE-1035-4CDC-8BEE-AA598B3AD28C.jpeg 84EBE787-2874-4FB5-B312-433626A4986E.jpeg

It wasn’t made to be original. That’s why it’s called a 59. I know I could never afford an original and real 1959 Gibson. Even though it still is not cheap, it is cheaper. The Eastman is meant to bring that dream to others if they want it. It’s not what I’m interested in at the moment. But it’s there if I did.

Attached Files:

11. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Originality may not be their goal with this model (it is with several other models though) or what buyers of this model are looking for. If you're looking for originality there are plenty of other choices (also within the Eastman brand). Or be original yourself and buy a Fender Strat.

new6659 likes this.
  12. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I guess if they went backwards it must be because they are not selling enough of their own design and have to fall back on Gibson styles to make money.
    Oh well that's nothing new these days.
    After looking at the guitars above I understand why. They look like they were made by American Motors - the Rambler of guitars...:D.

13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The strat was original. Buying one now is not. ;)

14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Too late I've already bought a few.

toddfan and Merc like this.
  15. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    I've never played an Eastman but in the past year and a half I have seen a fellow, Reg Schwager, play his three times here in Ontario backing touring jazz acts. I think the one he uses is this:

[​IMG]I can't imagine how it could have sounded any better for the intended purpose. I have an ES-165 (Herb Ellis) and an ES-175 which were probably twice as expensive or more than this guitar but it was certainly their equal or more in the hands of Schwager.

Merc and Henry like this.
  16. afire

afire Country Gent

That's kind of guitar 101. If it's derivative, it's stealing. If it's original, it's stupid. I feel for guitar designers. There's practically no place to succeed.

RomanS and blueruins like this.
  17. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’d be happy to take a AMC Rambler or even an AMX off your hands if you had one.

EFC8DD20-D2E9-4507-BB7A-A134594C98CB.jpeg
    90D0C09D-D8C4-4232-BA95-D9261CB9619A.jpeg

RomanS and new6659 like this.
  18. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    @giffenf didnt you buy one of these and couldnt get it to stay in tune no matter what you did? I was sure it was a gretsh eastman style?

19. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    My buddy has an AMX. It certainly isn't a Rambler. I had a 1984 American Motors Jeep. It was a piece of crap.
    There are lots of cars I'd rather have from that era. American Motors didn't make any of them...:).

20. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Funny how Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Guild, etc. were always coming up with new guitar designs. Even companies like Vox in the 60s had some very original designs.
    I think it's just that a lot of designers these days take the easy way out - or maybe they just lack imagination.
    It kind of reminds me of what's happening in Hollywood these days with movies and all the rehash.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice