This guy LOVES this Eastman Les Paul style guitar

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Look close at the veneer and the finish on the headstock.

$2500(converted) is the price I saw at TFOA, a Dutch dealer.

2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    The finish imperfections were intentional, that is their vintage line. It has a slightly worn very thin finish and aged nickel hardware. My Eastman is not vintage and is flawless in regards to finish, like my proline Gretsch.

sh4rkbyt3 and Merc like this.
  3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    The finish isn’t sprayed on and is done entirely by hand like old violins. I’m not sure if the black on the top is veneer or paint. There’s supposed to be no veneer on this guitar.

On a different note, I wonder where the wood is sourced from to be entirely one piece on the back. That’s a big chunk of mahogany for today. I’m surprised it’s as light as it is and wonder which species of mahogany too. Anyone know?

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    You could be right. To be clear I’m not talking about the worn spots on the back.
    It’s is a coarse “bubbly” looking effect which you get when brushing on a varnish and not sanding it perfectly smooth. It’s actually thicker not thinner as it likes to build up particularly around edges(You can see the finish getting darker). I’m not entirely convinced that was intentional but who knows.

Merc likes this.
  5. NJDevil

NJDevil Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I've played it and like but after playing, and loving the thin-line Eastmans, I wish the '59 neck was wider at the nut. Top quality too but I do like my '14 LP Traditional better.

Merc likes this.
  6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think that price somewhat factors the Chinese origin, but I am sure actual sales prices are lower. I've heard many reviewers rave about the value of Eastman guitars and I can say that they mid level ($500-700 list) acoustics are better built than anything else I tried in that price range new, and better material as well.

Made in China is a double edged sword, it makes it less desirable, but for players that means you get a lot of guitar for a fair price. And you can get a lot of features, like all solid wood and ebony boards, that no one else offers.

7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yep. China is following the same path as Japan and South Korea, and indeed all countries in many industries. You start on the cheap stuff and as you develop expertise and efficiency, move up the value chain. I would say Japan is the premier mass producer of guitars now, S. Korea second.

Merc likes this.
  8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Funny that you say that as so many people come here posting questions to and asking for opinins from mostly random and anonymous internet mostly dudes. It seems that seeking opinns from random dudes on the internet is pretty common.

9. I have had a few eastmans. Currently a ar610 archtop. You cant find a domestic hand built version anywhere near the price i paid. They do pay attention to details.

Merc likes this.
  10. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Yeah I get that too. My point is that he seems to have quite a following fr no other reason than he is really good at coming up with clickbait video titles.
    I've watched quite a few and I just don't regard this guy as exceptionally knowledgable.
    If Tavo or Tsims (for example) had a video channel I'd be willing to take them with more than a grain of salt because I know they are both experts in their field...this guy has never impressed me with his depth of anything but production value.

Henry likes this.
  11. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    As far as Eastman goes...they look alright but I think you'd be crazy to spend that much personally. I love my Squiers and some of them may play better than a given Fender. Wood was a living thing and is as infinite in variety as a fingerprint. I would not be willing to spend $800 on a Squier guitar.
    Why wouldn't you just look for a great deal on a Les Paul at that price?...it's not unheard of.
    I don't know, to each his own but this Gibson thing is blown way out of proportion in my opinion. Those Eastman's don't make any kind of sense to my pocketbook.

englishman and Gretschtim1 like this.
  12. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    How does one know if a guitar is actually "totally hand made"?
    Are there any videos of the Eastman factory showing them making a guitar?
    I haven't played one so I can't say how they are but while watching that video to my eyes at least the finish looked awful to me. It actually looked handed painted by me...:eek:.

englishman likes this.
  13. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Okay Question - There are so many good guitar makers out there with great skills. From what some are saying Eastman makes good guitars.
    Why in the hell after all these years can't these guys come up with their own designs?
    Until they do they are just copiers and are making money by ripping off someone else's design. I have a problem with that.
    If they were making cars all their products would probably look like a 70 Chevelle, a 65 Mustang, etc....:D.

Henry likes this.
  14. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have a spruce top, cutaway, nylon string, acoustic-electric Eastman & it's a fabulous guitar. But you won't ever find one. Mine was a prototype, designed by Schertler as a test bed for a pickup system, & hand made by Eastman. Beautiful instrument. As far as my guitar dealer knows, this is the only one.

blueruins likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Flip that around, though, why go to that effort to buy something just cuz it says Gibson on it? Makes sense if you want a "Les Paul", but if you just want a Les Paul sound, there are many other options that are better quality for less money. And that's not a criticism of Gibson QC really, its true of all "name" brands.

RomanS, blueruins and Merc like this.
  16. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Let me ask you this, how many different drums, violins, cellos, and upright bass designs are out there by different builders? Not many that I have seen except for maybe the upright bass.

Most musicians tend to be traditionalist. So it becomes a very difficult industry to be innovative and actually survive long term at the same time. Although a few brands and models have been successful pulling it off. I view the basic Les Paul, Stratocaster, and Tele design in the same manner as a violin. They are winning formulas and people want to buy and play them. That’s why even the original companies don’t deviate often.

Look at Leo Fender’s last company G&L. He still tried to be innovative with designs on pickups, bridges, etc until his death. And they moved nowhere near the product quantity as Fender. I’m a bit surprised but glad they are still around. It’s likely due to the overseas assembled Tribute line sales numbers. Would you buy or play a TV Jones pickup? His company would likely not exist today if he didn’t replicate the original Filter’Tron in the beginning. He even went so far in copying the original design that he even had the magnet properties analyzed. Many players are happy playing his classic Filter’Trons that in a way are just as fake as Les Paul copies.

I’m a gear head. They don’t build cars like a 70 Chevelle or 65 Mustang for other reasons. Even the original companies are unable to build those exact cars today for reasons such as safety regulations.

RomanS likes this.
  17. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Since you asked: El Rey.

Scott Fraser likes this.
  18. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    If you are really only buyng it for the quality then I've got no good answer. I just think it's a really risky investment to sink that much into a guitar that may not hold it's value.
    I've played some Epiphone that have been better than most Les Pauls I've handled. But I would never expect it to hold value if I paid $1200+ for one.
    Guitar players are fickle and brands come in and out of fashion. I'm sure you could find an Eastman that's every bit as fantastic as it's Gibson archetype; I just question whether it will hold it's value like an original brand?
    It might be fine, I'm just projecting from past performance.

Henry likes this.
  19. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I was actually really disappointed that Eastman copied the headstock. I think that is really lame and would prevent me from buying one. Other than that though, the Les Paul shape was not original nor unique, it was just a smaller version of a single cut guitar.

20. afire

afire Country Gent

Not that I'm an Eastman superfan, but they certainly are not a slavish knockoff farm by any stretch of the imagination. My only real experience with Eastmans was better than a decade ago when they were still a novelty for making legitimate archtop acoustics at a reasonable price. They're just now making something kind of Les Paulish (and probably should have been more creative). And like every other guitar maker of the last 60 years, they do make a 335ish model. To me, they're notable for their archtops, and they have some pretty original designs. It's probably almost impossible to not be derivative of something, but at least some of their archtops avoid copying the usual suspects.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice