Things to stop saying in 2019

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Alberta_Slim, Feb 5, 2019.

1. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ( as the title of the thread states ) Things to stop saying in 2019 ............. gee , I wonder if @TSims1 is going to get a new guitar .... :p

2. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    When that guitar finally arrives, please Lord in perfect condition, I for one will give mad props.

Not sure I know that last one… the second offspring of Azathoth maybe?

3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Things-to-stop-saying-in-2019 :

1 - "I'll stop to buy or build guitars."
    2 - "I'll stop to buy or build amps."
    3 - "I'll stop to buy or build pedals."
    4 - "I'll stop to play in a band".

But it's me, OK ? :D

4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Any politician that replies to an interviewer with "now look....". Into the sea with them!

5. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    " No offence but....."and all the offensive stuff that follows these words.

6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    "I'm sorry if anyone was offended." - a weaselly non-apology. It means, "I'm not sorry I said or did it, I'm sorry somebody got upset," which blames the other person. Either truly apologize or stand by what you said and take the heat.

7. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I have a few that bug me, but I'm willing to let them all go as long as people just say whatever they like in a normal, indoor voice. Please, just stop yelling all the time! Excited or nervous yelling is just as loud as upset/angry yelling. I'm part man and part twitchy dog so loud noises upset and terrify me.

Inside voices only in 2019 please.

8. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Or replies 'and I clearly stated...' then proceeds to deliver a muddy unclear reply.

9. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Can we stop saying 'mid century' when referring to the 1950s. I fear it's snobbish and pseudo intellectual. Instead of saying 'fifties' which may imply that you sit around watching Happy Days and drive a pink Cadillac.

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Pet peeve---a podium is something you stand ON, not behind. That's called a lectern. They're not interchangeable. Every newscaster wrong.

You is not an acceptable replacement for your or you're. People need to learn the proper versions of there/their/they're; and your/you're/yore; to/too/two etc.

I've seen did'nt too often as well. I can accept these errors from someone who isn't fluent in English, but, for a native English speaker, it's unacceptable.

Debacle is supposed to rhyme with spectacle, monocle, pinnacle, oracle, and barnacle. Show me one word that rhymes with Dee-BOCK-ul.

Why is the abbreviation for number No.? There's no O in number unless you're speaking Spanish. It should be Nr., the same as it is in German.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  11. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    I have to say that two that really bug me from the US side of the pond that are over this side more and more are Nucular for Nuclear and Axe for Ask.

12. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Dee-FLOCK-ul Seaguls

13. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Pet peeve ---- lets go back to the 80's . They were called Pagers , not beepers . Somebody beep him ... ah no , somebody page him . The pagers sound was beep beep beep

14. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    recently i have seen comments on youtube like - bwaa waa wom bwaa waa wom Mwaaahmmmppmmm- and - THICC and THOT and i have to say it made me quite angry! what does this even mean? like i said before positivity breeds positivity, but it's hard to stay positive when we live in a world full of abbreviating twats! i am guilty of a few lol's in my time but it's time to stop! how old are we!? i am sick of the dumb asses of this age and i will not be sucked into this mentality! the youth of today have reverted back to mummy suckle teet goo goo ga ga times! lol

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  15. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Boss got us all pagers in the '80s. He expected me to call him long distance while I was on the road, on my dime, whenever he called. I told him if he needed to talk to me that bad he could get me a cell phone---on his dime.

16. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Thankfully, those mispronunciations aren't all that pervasive.
    Cellphone shorthand! Far too common, innit?

17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm going to stop saying "sorry" when I'm not.

18. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    “Anyways.” Ugh...how many different kinds of anyway are there?

It’s true we’re in a period of time where offending someone verbally is considered high crime, even when (especially when) the claimed offense is based on an ever-shifting catalog of pathetic petty grievances used as a smokescreen for a kind of not-too-subtle amateur mass behavior modification. I know, politics, but damn, what a really unwholesome situation. :mad:

You should hear me when one of those thieving bastids with “0% interest credit” or a warrant for my arrest for tax evasion calls. The offensiveness gets pretty creative. :D

19. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Near'a'nothing. used like one word (southern slang for meaning not much) Example: Son your as nearanothing I have ever seen.

20. Joe90

Joe90 Synchromatic

Jul 6, 2014
    Canada
    I'm impatient with folk who use the word "unpack" when they're referring to examining ideas, or concepts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice