Things to stop saying in 2019

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Alberta_Slim, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    “You crushed/smashed it!” Replace with “You succeeded beyond expectations.” Same applies to “You knocked it out of the park.” Only applies to baseball.

“It’s not in my wheelhouse.” Replace with “It’s not something I’m used to doing.”

“Off the chain.” Replace with “extraordinary.”

Any Internet chat-based acronyms invented years ago by lazy adolescents: LOL, LMAO, ROFL, YOLO (which is really a warning that somebody is about to do something spectacularly stupid that will probably result in injury), etc. I even spell out “Your mileage may vary,” but should probably just stop using it altogether and replace it with “Your experience might differ from mine.”

Mama didn’t waste her money sending her boy to grammar school. :p

NJDevil, shrews824, Donaldo and 9 others like this.
  2. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Let's stop saying "roundabout" for a rotary / traffic circle. Instead, let's start calling it a "spinnersection".

Junior94, NJDevil, Aaron1061 and 12 others like this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Classic!

Oh, wait. I should have said, "That was a particularly good word exchange." :)

4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    There are so many bull****-words in German language today. I always have to smile bitterly when my boss uses them.

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
  7. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

IDK

8. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    The sports-related cliches don't usually bug me that much. Although "crushing it" is pretty annoying. But I have my own crotchety old man ax to grind....The language has been corrupted and bastardized across the board. The written language has become a perverse form of shorthand.
    And the spoken language....You just can't say what you mean anymore. You have to cloak it in some sort of innocuous double-speak. There's a PC term for everything. Prostitutes are now "sex workers", for crying out loud.
    I can't bear to watch interviews with professional athletes. Every sentence begins with the phrase, "I mean", which is then liberally sprinkled throughout their riveting dissertations. It drives me crazy.
    There are too many of these little quirks to mention. The dumbing down of America. It's here folks!
    Sorry for the rant. This is a sore spot with me....

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    IMHO, YOLO, so YMMV, and GLWT, Kthxbai.

10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Double down, unless you're playing poker.
    At the end of the day, unless it is in fact the end of the day.
    It is what it is, even if you're the master of redundant meaningless phrases.
    If I'm not mistaken ... (Which pretty much applies to anything one might say, "If I'm not mistaken, the moon is made of green cheese. ")

11. P2gee

P2gee Electromatic

Dec 19, 2018
    Texas
    I have a better word for them..."absurd"

12. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    In New England we call it a Rotary.

MotorCentaur, stevo and Alberta_Slim like this.
  13. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
  14. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    “Back in the day...”

I didn’t even like that when it first appeared.

And “Think outside the box”. If you are still using that you definitely are not thinking outside the box.

15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Anything that tells people how to write, speak or act.

16. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Oh man, you just reminded me of an old friend (now an ex-friend for reasons I won’t go into here) who in any discussion you could eventually count on to say, “The thing is…“ before launching off on a dissertation as to why the thing was. Shorthand meaning, “you’re about to get the Received Wisdom on this matter, which you have no choice but to agree with.”

Hopefully gives you some small idea of why he’s not a friend anymore, but there’s way worse.

17. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    In my town it’s called “where seniors go to completely bugger traffic up by stopping ,, circles”

18. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    My son once said to me " back in the day " .... I told him " you haven't had a day yet "

MartyT, LivingMyDream, larryb and 9 others like this.
  19. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Back in the day, I used colloquial language 24/7. I've chilled out on that particular tip somewhat but the deal is it's really right in my wheelhouse and provides mad epic opportunities for expressing myself on the reals :p

In summation, grammar nazis can **** and get bent ;)

MotorCentaur, Henry and Alberta_Slim like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice