Things inside my guitar case (other than the guitar)

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Cassotto, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Cassotto

Cassotto Electromatic

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    I was wondering whether this belonged in the Gretsch forum, in the technical forum... I haven't seen any forum called 'Gretsch for Dummies', so I've decided to post it here, where I hope it will be inconspicuous enough not to make me the laughing stock of the forums, but conspicuous enough to get some answer.

I've just bought a guitar with a case, and in the compartment it has inside there is a key (so far, so good), a bag with, I think, some desiccant inside (should I leave it there, or throw it away?), and something that looks like a tool with a very long handle to screw and unscrew something (what on earth is that for?).

And, lastly, only with lots of effort can I put the guitar cable inside this compartment, by taking everything else out. Should it go there, or can it be outside, below the headstock? I'm afraid it might harm the finish of the guitar.

Thanks!

2. CaliforniaSlim

CaliforniaSlim Gretschie

Jul 21, 2016
    I usually have a few picks in there too. The tool is likely an allen wrench to adjust the truss rod (Under the little cover on the headstock) That adjustment allows you (or a qualified luthier) to adjust the bend of the neck slightly. Unless you know your case is just going to sit on the floor, I wouldn't keep the guitar cable in their unless it fits in the compartment.
    Just my thoughts- others will be along shortly.
    You may find that you play the Gretsch so much it doesn't make it back into the case.

section2 and Cassotto like this.
  3. Cassotto

Cassotto Electromatic

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    Thanks! It's probably that, as the 'screw' end looks like that for an allen wrench. I don't think I'll ever use it (I'm the cautious type), so I'll put away somewhere else. I would have never guessed what it was used for hadn't it been for your help.

It's a pity the compartment isn't a bit bigger, since, as I said, it's only with difficulty that I've managed to fit the cable inside. I thought it was common to carry the cable there (I think mine is 3 metres long, which is not too much, is it?). The picks won't be a problem, but I'd also like to put a tuning fork inside (I'm the classical type, too).

T Bone likes this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    In one of my cases I recently found a setlist from 1983, confetti from a confetti-cannon that we usually used at our shows back then, a pack of condoms, some Spanish coins and an empty little hash plastic bag:confused:.

ZackyDog, gtttrrr, Flouswa and 2 others like this.
  5. Stencil

Stencil Gretschie

Oct 19, 2009
    Gif-sur-Yvette, or the AF lounge
    Are we to assume that you've been gigging since at least 1983? :D

Cheers,

loudnlousy likes this.
  6. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    you may want to check the expiration date on them condoms before use, :D

7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Don’t fit the cable in the compartment. That’s reserved for small items like keys to the case, the key to adjust the neck, plectrums, a slide, strings, maybe a hygrometer, strap, and miscellaneous items like a tuner or fork...

Don’t wind the cable to tight, thin copper braids don’t bend forever. Generous loops, fold the plugs under the cable so they don’t hit the headstock or use a canvas pouch/bag that can fit under the headstock.

Cassotto likes this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I keep capo , picks kept in a 35mm film canister , clip on tuner and the pack of strings that are on the guitar ( I write the date that I change strings on the pack of strings )
    Guitar strap stays where the headstock is

ZackyDog, T Bone and Cassotto like this.
  9. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Get yourself some kind of shoulder bag or briefcase to carry cords and stuff. The longer you play, the more junk you lug around. Tuners, pedals, adapters, mics, tools, setlists, gaffer tape - you name it, you'll carry it!

benjwri, new6659 and Cassotto like this.
  10. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    I carry the usual suspects
    Picks,fresh set of strings,truss rod tool
    Tuner cloth and because I do most of the vocals I keep a handful of Halls eucalyptus cough drops oh and my little jar of Gorilla Snot

Cassotto likes this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    35mm film canister? You're old!
    I still have metal ones.

I have a small case where all of the cables go, along with other sundry gear like spare strings, string winder, tuner and such. Not gigging anymore, but still, cables have a bin, AC has it's own, picks are in a decorative gazinta, and mikes in their own carrier.

Cassotto and thunder58 like this.
  12. Wjensen

Wjensen Electromatic

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    I carry two sets of strings, picks, guitar strap,tuner and extra batteries, and of course the guitar. Other things in the compartment include the truss rod wrench and the keys. The guitar only goes in the case when I take it out somewhere, usually to lessons. Otherwise, it sits on a guitar stand in my "music room," where it is available to play at a moments notice. Getting plenty of practice is key to getting better as a guitarist.

Wade

Cassotto likes this.
  13. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    All of my 'long' cables have a braided covering and I put them in the case behind the head stock all the time - BUT I put the plug ends in the storage compartment.

Cassotto likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I know exactly what a " gazinta " is .... LOL !
    I remember those ... seen them but never had

wabash slim likes this.
  15. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    I had them, back in the film was not inside, thankfully, I finally grew out of that part of my life

gtttrrr and thunder58 like this.
  16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    For each of my guitars, in her own case :

- her special parts (allen keys, vibrato handle...)
    - her dedicated leather strap
    - her pure cotton cloth for cleaning
    - her original tags and labels (if existing)

The rest being in a separate common briefcase.

A+!

Cassotto likes this.
  17. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Picks, tuner, slide in some like my resonator case. Everything else goes in my gig bag (i.e. reusable grocery bag).

Cassotto likes this.
  18. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    The case compartment is the perfect size for miniature liquor bottles.... Just saying...:D

JC higgy and giffenf like this.
  19. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I got tired of forgetting at least one critical accessory at gigs, and after doing that at two consecutive gigs, I got serious and created the Gigmeister, a large Pelican case in which I put everything I've ever forgotten to bring to a gig, or got to a gig and needed.
    [​IMG]
    Power strip, Hum-X, beverage holder, guitar stand, cables aplenty (guitar, speaker, mic, RCA patch for playing music into the mixer, pedal power, etc.) in-ear monitors, iPad holder, small mixer, acoustic DI boxes, music-stand/set-list light, IEC power cord, string cleaner, and the flamey zippered bags (my wife made those for me): one contains a mic, mic cable, and stand clip, the other has extra strings, tools, capos, and picks. The two red boxes contain smaller stuff:
    [​IMG]
    Batteries (AA, AAA, 2032 (for tuners and acoustic pickups), and 9-volt), cable couplers, phone charger cable, pencil, and of course, more picks.

So what gets the most use? Batteries I give to bandmates when they need them, and of course the beverage holder. The biggest benefit is the huge case, which sits on a dolly and I can pile my amp head, speaker cab, and pedalboard on top, strap it together, and roll it in and out of the venue in one go.

new6659, thunder58, Cassotto and 2 others like this.
  20. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Very nice... The only things missing are a soldering iron and an emergency roll of toilet paper.

Cassotto, JC higgy and giffenf like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice