Things guitarists do that bug me

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Ian Jordan, Jul 7, 2017.

1. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    I'd be quite pleased if you never showed up at any of my gigs, in fact, I'd be happy if you put me on your ignore list if what I say bothers you so much. I'm certainly doing the same right now. You have a real attitude, don't you? Have fun playing in your bedroom, Eric.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    hogrider16 likes this.
  2. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    Even the almighty Brian Setzer had a roadie pull out a music stand (with I'm assuming the chord charts) when the BSO played Nutcracker Suite. But it was just for the one song and watching his left hand he was playing a LOT of different chord inversions.

That said, I think most bar bands playing covers can get away with lyric sheets as long as they're discreet about it. It's just a bar gig, after all. No one thinks you actually are the artist you're covering and as long as it sounds good, the crowd will forgive you. And there are cover bands that have a huge repertoire and accept requests. But if you need lyric sheets for your own tunes that's kinda lame. You're better off just fumbling the words or repeating a verse (I fumbled a lot of lyrics in my day and most of the time, people didn't have a clue).

NY Chief and dlew919 like this.
  3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I thought the sheet music was a gag; I've seen him play that twice and I think he knows it. One of my favorite parts, as I love the Nutcracker songs

4. Hydroman

Hydroman Gretschie

Feb 29, 2016
    FUNtucky, Ca.
    Guitar players that turn their backs to the audience (facing the drummer) for extremely long periods of time....and guys that stick lit cigarettes on their strings at the headstock as if it was an ash tray,nasty.

benjwri likes this.
  5. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    I'm in the 'no Ipad/sheet music' school, unless you're playing an instrument/genre that requires it or hides it. I find it distracts both the performer and the audience....I personally rather to make up lyrics on the spot or get them close enough. Most of my dislike comes from one cover band I played in where the singer just stared at her ipad the whole night. I swear she was facebooking mid song.....Give the audience your all, if sheet music/notes/a device adds to that - ok. If it distracts, then boo!

But if you do use them , I only dislike the device - not you. Peace out.

dlew919 likes this.
  6. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Definitely not... I have received multiple PMs just this week.

7. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Pot meet kettle? With all due respect, you seem to have the shortest fuse here on G-T. You need to lighten up before it gives you a heart attack. And I'm not the only person here you've went 'round with over the years.... the only common denominator in your "rubs" with other posters is YOU. You take offense when none is given. Chill out. We're all just talking guitars here.

stevemorrison likes this.
  8. NY Chief

NY Chief Electromatic

Apr 16, 2015
    california
    Paper sheet music? A helper! iPad sheet music? Airturn foot switch

9. NY Chief

NY Chief Electromatic

Apr 16, 2015
    california
    I was in one band where the back up singer read lyrics off her cell phone held up directly in front of her face throughout the night!!! And she wasn't even very good (drummers girlfriend.....)

10. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't mind ipads done a bit discreetly. I'd rather a performance where everyone knows where they are rather than stumbling round. But holding the phone? Nope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Friend of mine gigs the "cover circuit".
    She carries 3x 2" thick ring binders filled with what's got to be more than a 1000 songs...
    You pick any tune from those binders, and she sings it, but yeah, on occasion she will whip out her cell phone for the lyrics.:)

12. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    My drummer is says it bugs him the most when guiyar players show up late with his pizza delivery. :rolleyes:

benjwri and Kitvin713 like this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Paige Turner---the lady that turns the pages of sheet music for pianists. At least that's her "backstage" name. She has to be able to sight read herself. Most jazz bands, pit orchestras, and classical groups of all sizes use music stands. Most musicians turn the pages themselves.

14. guitarmike

guitarmike Gretschie

Oct 13, 2015
    Montreal
    Most musicians are concerned about the look of their guitar or else.....they want to play with a nice looking guitar. I understand that.
    So.....performing with an I Pad or sheet music does not look good. No excuses.

15. svenslim

svenslim Gretschie

Jul 28, 2009
    Göteborg, Sweden
    How about guitarists &/or bass guitarists who turn it up so loud they drown out the rest of the band. You ask them to lower their output and they fiddle about a bit with their volume controls, it sounds ok, and then by the next song or so they are even louder than before. And I can´t even hear my own voice singing. It´s a losing battle. Unless you have access to a good sound guy.

benjwri likes this.
  16. guitarmike

guitarmike Gretschie

Oct 13, 2015
    Montreal
    Evert band needs a band leader.

17. DrThunder

DrThunder Electromatic

Aug 4, 2015
    nebraska
    In college I was a bassist who didn't sing in bands that usually played 30 minute sets with other bands and the bands at those gigs that had music stands I ridiculed relentlessly. Then later I got a job and became a guitarist AND singer in bar bands that played for several hours, and quickly put aside that prejudice lol. If I could still be a college kid or play for a living and just play all day, my brain could memorize the chords, licks, AND lyrics, but with the time I got there ain't no way...especially in a band with a guy who wants to change setlists and add songs every show haha...3 ring binder worked well for me...Now I just play rockabilly and Roger Clyne songs by myself in my basement and no one can judge me but my wife upstairs lol

I don't get the hate for the headstock tuner, mine folds up behind the headstock and all you see is the one side of the clip...Always found it handy and out of the way (but didn't ever lose it) and figured maybe 3 people in the crowd actually notice it at all lol...and I always kill my volume all the way down so no one hears me tune (that IS a pet peeve)

My biggest pet peeve when I'm in the band is people who play between the songs, especially if its like the hook or riff from the next song...just drives me crazy. Also was in a band with a guy who was a damn good guitarist, but insisted on having his treble just at eardrum splitting levels, the sound guy (when we had em) or other guitarist would mix him right and he would always go start gradually cranking up the treble until it just sounded like crap. The other guitarist in the band had a Peavey XXX amp and refused to sell it to this guy because he knew it was too much treble for him and would kill the rest of our ears lmfao. Ah the good ol days :)

thought of another, when I was in college bands the scream-o pre-emo crap was getting popular and there were several bands around where the lead singer was literally just a guy who would scream badly and flail his body around on the ground and at one gig (which was outside in a park) a lead "singer" literally ran off into the little grassy area and was just jumping onto the ground and flopping around while the band played...it was assaulting to my ears, eyes, and was so awkward it made me emberassed and i wasnt even in the damn band lol.

18. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I was in a band with a guy who'd stick a lit cigarette on one of the string ends. Getting poked was bad enough without getting burnt.

Guitarists who think my Hammond is a great place to put their beer are my bane.

pmac11 likes this.
  19. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    That one made me laugh!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice