Things guitarists do that bug me

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Ian Jordan, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Ian Jordan

Ian Jordan Gretschie

Oct 14, 2012
    Coggeshall England
    I thought I would add a little spice to a conversation I was having with a guitarist friend of mine the other day. The one thing that really bugs me when I go to see other guitarists play, is when there is about 6 or 7 inches of loose guitar string hanging off the end of the tuners flapping around while they are playing. For gods sake trim the strings.

What are the things that guitarists do that bug other people on here?

string-electric-guitar.w1456.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  2. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    Showboating ìe playing the guitar behind their head. I moan every time I see this.

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Shoe gazers. Paying more attention to twisting knobs than playing guitar. Overly theatric movements and attitudes. Overuse of FX---it may sound good in your bedroom, but in a bar or a studio, it all turns to mush.
    "More ME in the monitors!!!"

4. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Playing to backing tacks.. ... Play a solo set or get a band. :eek:

mrfixitmi, Axeman, rich724 and 2 others like this.
  5. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Nope
    I play beside that guy. One time at practice I put a pair of safety goggles on and ribbed him about taking someones eye out. ;).

6. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Guys that leave the clip on tuner on the headstock on stage. :mad:

7. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    Yeah, that bugs me too, and defaces their guitar. I think whoever had my GA before me did that, because there are all kind of micro scratches on the headstock.

Armygirl likes this.
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Guitarists using instrument-cables as speaker-cables.

9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Throwing the guitar in the air and catching it. Somehow it never looks elegant.

Same for spinning the guitar around your neck. Forget it, the only one who can can pull that off without making him look like a maroon is Yngwie.

:)

mrfixitmi, MKunie, nickosonic and 3 others like this.
  10. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    Something that bugs me is seeing guitar players with their right hand ** constantly ** going between the strings and the volume/tone controls. I can see occasional adjustments for effect during a song. But it's like they just turned the volume control to 8, then two notes later to 7, then two notes later back to 8 then... Just leave it! :confused:

mrfixitmi, MKunie, rob batz and 4 others like this.
  11. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    Oh boy, I have several of these.

1. Someone who plays small clubs but insists on bringing a 100+ full stack.
    2 Someone who thinks they are the star and wants to stand out.
    3 Those that play a lick and give a glance to the crowd as if they are saying "c'mon that was awesome...you should all be cheering for me!"
    4 Those that learn songs note for note, but don't change something here or there to make it their own. Along those lines, if they mess up during that solo, they are completely lost.
    5 Sometimes, bands mess up. During a solo, a drummer may do a roll signalling the band to get back to the song a few bars early, or a singer starts the next verse/chorus a few bars early. Be a good bandmate and adjust with the band. Don't be such a "me" guy that come hell or high water, you're going to finish your solo, even if it tramples over everyone else.
    6 I understand the need to bring 2-3 guitars to a gig-for different sounds or a backup. But don't bring two Hercules 5-guitar racks, fill those up, and have a single stand or two with a guitar on it too.
    7 Those that always think of their playing in terms of "I'm better than so and so," and get mad when someone is "better" than them. Guitar ain't a competition, and nobody's awarding medals or trophies to anyone for doing it. (Annual guitar mag best players awards notwithstanding)
    8 Someone who constantly slows a gig's flow by constantly tuning or twiddling knobs on an amp. That stuff should be taken care of on your own, and you should at the very least have a guitar that stays in tune.
    9 Constant Floyd Rose divebombs or pinch harmonics. It's like garlic: a little goes a long way.
    10 Rack effects setup in a small club. C'mon man, it's not the 80s anymore.
    11 Too much chorus, flange, or phaser that is left constantly on. Those are like garlic too.
    12 Tuners on headstocks like englishman said.
    13 Guitarists, or anyone for that matter, but it's most often a singer or guitarist, who shows up late, barely helps set up the PA if at all, then after a gig, goes to talk to people and doesn't help breakdown.
    14 Guitarist who dump on other guitarists' equipment.
    15 Fizzy distortion lovers
    16 Guitar Center chuggers, fizzers, Metallica riffers, shredders, or sweep pickers, who all play way too loud and with too much distortion in a store setting.
    17 Players that look at me like I'm stupid or nuts because while they are doing #16, I may be playing at a polite level, through a clean Vox or Fender, with a Gretsch, and playing country, rockabilly, or some other form of music they hate.
    18 Wah Addicts

mrfixitmi, MKunie, rob batz and 8 others like this.
  12. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Players who don't understand that there are plenty of times when it's absolutely in the song's best interest for them to SHUT UP.

13. Dave-B

Dave-B Country Gent

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Grumpy Cat wishes to join in.

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 17.20.22.png

arty, MKunie, rob batz and 6 others like this.
  14. JLD4133

JLD4133 Country Gent

May 10, 2011
    Mequon, WI
    Yeah, this has been a visual nightmare of mine for many years...... I think it's an absolute abomination. It serves absolutely no purpose; it scratches the headstock face; it's sloppy and makes it appear you don't care; it is potentially a hazard to others who get too close. I rank it right up there with attaching your strap to the guitar with duct tape.

15. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    ... And in any occasion.

A+!

mrfixitmi and MKunie like this.
  16. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Ugh! The duct tape thing.
    I remember selling a BEAUTIFUL '66 green Guild Starfire in my friends store to a guy and when i went to see his band play, friggin duct tape strap locks......i was pretty mad to say the least.

Emmett and MotorCentaur like this.
  17. Salsg

Salsg Gretschie

Nov 9, 2016
    Southern California
    Reading the title of this thread the first thing that came to mind was the excess strings, and i was glad to see the original post comment on that.

MKunie and Ian Jordan like this.
  18. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Guitarists (and vocalists) who think the band should adapt everything to the way they like to do the song.

MKunie, TW4990 and Telechamp like this.
  19. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    I play with a buddy who constantly blasts out bits between songs. Usually he's checking his volume/tone/distortion whatever, but good grief, he does it a lot. I feel sorry for anyone listening to us. It's so unprofessional (not saying I'm anywhere close to a pro). I haven't figured out a way yet to politely ask him to stop.

20. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Ohhh right with you there

Emmett likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice