They're charging tax now ..... party's over

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Mar 11, 2019.

1. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    It's all good . I think Connecticut also has no sales tax but definitely New Jersey as no sales tax as I'm 1 mile from the border but thats only on clothes . PM me if you want the real low down on NY taxes

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Once Amazon kills off enough brick and mortar stores, then they'll start charging for shipping. It wouldn't surprise me if they bought FedEx and UPS, and forced the USPS to shut down.

3. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    My take on it is that they should not be collecting sales tax on used items, including autos, because the sales tax was collected when the item was first purchased.
    Here in Washington State sales tax is @ 10%.
    Here's a hypothetical example. A guitar gets sold for $4000 retail, sold again for $3500, and resold for $3000. The state would expect to see $400+$350+$300=$1050.
    I just bought an old Music Man amp on ebay, charged sales tax on the (price+shipping).

4. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Electromatic

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Someone mentioned earlier this had been passed a while ago which is true. I've been waiting for the hammer to fall and as best as I can tell through some of my ebay purchases it started in December of 2018. Will it help or hurt mom & pop stores or brick and mortar? Probably not IMO. In fact I don't think it'll change much if at all to be honest. There may be some early resistance to it here and there but eventually we all become acclimated to it. The online stores still have the advantage of warehousing their goods without the limitations of space as you would likely find in a mom & pop, so in that sense I don't see a decline in online retail sales because of right to your door delivery.
    If I had to predict, I would say you're going to continue to see a lot more malls and brick and mortar storefronts continuing to disappear. Not completley vanishing but the landscape is definitely going to continue to change.

5. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Prime has already gotten not so good in Alaska. The drugs are always free till you get hooked, then it gets expensive.

Alberta_Slim, Crowbar and blueruins like this.
  6. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Oh yeah...Bezos has the drug lord stratagem pinned down. Give 'em a free taste until they can't say no.

wabash slim likes this.
  7. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I guess you beat me to that Setzerhotrod...what he said:)

8. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    L.A.
    Several states implemented new laws for online retailers to start charging sales tax as of 2019. Sweetwater was still safe for me as of last week. Enjoy what's left of it.

9. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Surprising as Indiana has a hefty sales tax. It's worse in Indy where there's another nickel added on so Jim Irsay can have a free stadium for the Colts.

At least the US hasn't gone to VAT---yet.

10. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Drugs aren't free---especially if you get them from Big Pharma. It just gets MORE expensive.

new6659 and blueruins like this.
  11. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
  12. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    California has always been pretty aggressive so I'm used to paying our sales tax of 8.125% on many online orders.

14. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    That's good to know although Murphy's Law as I ordered already ...lol... day late and a dollar short as they say , especially in Thunder's world :)

Alberta_Slim and blueruins like this.
  15. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I bet it's fun to figure out how much you have to split up and send to 50 states at the end of the fiscal year.

Alberta_Slim and blueruins like this.
  16. dswo

dswo Electromatic

Apr 8, 2017
    East Carolina
    I want to keep living in a place with a fire department, police department, school teachers, paved streets, building codes, clean water, clean air, safe food, traffic lights, and public libraries.

Likeabrave, new6659 and thunder58 like this.
  17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Scandinavia?

new6659, blueruins and Lionpotato like this.
  18. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Charging sales tax on USED items, PERSONALLY sold, is tyranny. What's next, Craigslist? Facebook? (there are local "gear for sale" pages all over FB). And are they going to start charging sales tax on DONATED goods next? Why not, since anytime someone gives you money (whether a gift or inheritance for example, over a certain amount, YOU get taxed on it as income. What a crock of S...)

new6659, Alberta_Slim and blueruins like this.
  19. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Yep, you pay tax when you earn the money, you pay tax on the taxed income to buy things! Oh well, the only thing for sure is Death and Taxes!

Henry, Alberta_Slim and johnny g like this.
  20. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    So the British copied the idea of taxing from China. Now we know who to blame.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice