They're charging tax now ..... party's over

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Mar 11, 2019.

1. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    So just a heads up ..... Last night I ordered a few small things from Musicians Friend . When I was almost done I noticed that tax was being added . Not much at $5.75 but it struck me odd as I've ordered in the past from them , especially my G5422-12G-FSR a few months back . Well I just called and the sales rep stated to me that " due to new Government Legislation ( U.S. ) " we're " all doing it " . Oh well , I guess the party's over .
    So tell me . Do you think it's going to hurt the online guys ?

MotorCentaur likes this.
  2. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    It is the British. They started this old tax thing.

Alberta_Slim, Jena, Pop1655 and 5 others like this.
  3. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    Yes we did, but please don't start throwing your guitars into Boston harbour in protest.

Alberta_Slim, Jena, Flouswa and 12 others like this.
  4. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Now that they’ve already killed brick and mortar retail they start this? I’m no fan of taxes but it’s at least 5 years overdue IMO.

5. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Yeah, it was sure to come. I still think that online retail will be ok because of the variety of things you can get, and have it delivered. At least it gives the mom and pop shops a better chance to compete.

6. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I know they’ve been talking about doing it but had’t heard of a Bill passing. I wonder if it did and what percentage. Unless something passed for certain states.

Between online and Walmart, a lot of mom and pop type shops for various things have already closed doors and likely aren’t coming back. It’s sad really. But is what it is.

I would like to believe that but taxes go back much farther. There’s various answers online. This was one of them...

According to "A World History of Tax Rebellions," the earliest tax was the corvee in 594 B.C. China. It required peasants to pay overlords for the land they farmed in labor when they couldn't pay land tax with money. Taxing the land led to taxing what the land produced. Egyptian art suggests the pharaohs taxed grain around 2390 B.C., while written records indicate China taxed it in 408 B.C. By the 14th Century, when the word "tax" entered the English lexicon, England taxed property based on a person's ability to pay.

So without turning political and knowing for certain because Egyptian art suggests... it was China.

Alberta_Slim and thunder58 like this.
  7. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    This bill passed quite some time ago but it has taken some time to implement.

8. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Is sales tax deductible in NY?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  9. Scooter127

Scooter127 Electromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Online shippers have been supposed to be charging local-to-you sales tax all along.

As far as it hurting them, I don't think that's likely since they'll be charging the aame as brick and mortar, or perhaps less. Here in Georgia I actually know of a brick and mortar store that frequently sells for a bit less than Internet pricing.

Flouswa and thunder58 like this.
  10. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I was going to post a thread soon on this. Ebay is charging tax now too. Even with sellers that say in their title "No tax" Many sellers don't even realize Ebay is doing it because Ebay collects it on the sale and files it themselves. The party is over for sure. I used to buy a lot of stuff on Ebay, strings etc too. Now I look around on line.
    (BTW, I think the current usa federal tax change now disallows deducting your state sales tax...?)
    No longer buying big stuff on Ebay for sure. The $800 guitar I just bought I bought elsewhere, although it was listed on Ebay. Saved $70.
    Yes, the party is over. What they are charging is sales tax IF your state has it.

thunder58 likes this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Now that I think about it , the sales rep did ask what State I live in

12. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    LOL !!

13. Scooter127

Scooter127 Electromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I don't think they ever allowed deductions for sales tax paid on musical instruments. Motor vehicles, boats, airplanes, homes, but I don't know any past those items.

14. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    We fought a war over taxation without representation.

Taxation WITH representation isn't any better.

15. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Yes, they do (did?) allow one. If you live in a Sales Tax state you got a deduction, I think it's just a standard deduction % unless you want to itemize a ton of stuff. Maybe the theory is they shouldn't charge you income tax on sales tax or something. IIRC my tax accountant warned me they were doing away with the deduction.
    What irks me about Sales Tax is how it adds up. They tax the same item over and over... In WA State the tax is roughly 8.2%:
    -You by a new car for $35000. You pay $2870 in sales tax.
    -You sell that car after 3 years for say $25000. The new buyer pays another $2050 in sales tax.
    -He sells the car after 3 years for $15000. The third owner pays $1230 in tax.
    So far the State has taken $6150 in tax and taxed the same item 3 times... you get the picture...

Alberta_Slim likes this.
  16. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    I remember going on MF periodically and always seeing a big banner head saying: "No Tax In New York." A few weeks ago I went online there and noticed the banner was gone... so then was my interest in shopping there.

Flouswa likes this.
  17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Collecting tax on internet retailers is long overdue. It put brick and mortar stores at a disadvantage, as automatically their items were 7% more expensive in Minnesota. If it had been implemented earlier, maybe internet sales would have grown more slowly, but physical stores might have survived better.

18. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Gretschie

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, after some more research that was a silly question. Oregon has no sales tax, so I'm pretty ignorant about what happens elsewhere. :rolleyes:

thunder58 likes this.
  19. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Alaska has no state tax and Anchorage no sales tax. Heck, they even have to pay us to stay, haha. Every year we get a “PFD” (Permanent Fund Dividend) from the oil pipeline and the taxes the oil companies have to pay the state for doing business here. Goes up or down depending on oil prices and how well they invest that money.... we get a share of what is made in interest.
    The state politicians have been trying to get their hands on that money for years!- no end to the good you can do with someone else’s money!

Alberta_Slim and MotorCentaur like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice