They Really Don’t Make Music Like They Used To

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 10, 2019 at 5:31 PM.

1. MartyT

MartyT Gretschie

Apr 8, 2010
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    That's the way of the world now, unfortunately. The industry standard is to master everything hot. I think that too much compression kills any nuance a recording might have. It bludgeons the ear.

2. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    They'd be too busy playing live music to real audiences to sing karaoke on TV.

All those shows, the few times I've seen them, have people with incredible ranges, but just as generic as a brown paper bag. You don't "discover" your voice, you develop your voice. You don't have something to say because you've been singing in your parents basement, you have something to say because you've been playing the clubs, making sacrifices, working hard. You've gotten screwed by musicians, club owners, agents and everyone else and you found a way to keep moving forward. THAT'S what makes someone worth listening to.

These formulaic shows have it exactly backwards. And frankly, the fact that very few of them have ever had real success backs up my point.

3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    When I got my first cd-player I was completely disappointed of the sound of my vavorite old records.
    A superhot (and loudly cut vinyl) Van Halen I record sounded so lame on cd before they where remastered to the new digital media.

4. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    As a fan of garage and psychedelic rock, most of the good stuff was over and done with by the time I plopped out (1970), but there are still a few folks still flying the flag. May I introduce my latest find, Moonrite, a French duo:

Not a Gretsch in sight, but at least they are partying like it's 1969! And only available on vinyl.

Howard hughes and Alberta_Slim like this.
  5. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Puddle of Mudd. System of a Down.

Jesus wept. Which come to think of it wouldn't be a bad name for a band, now more than ever.

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Awkwafina, Pitbull, Timbaland, Childish Gambino, Ye, Bieber, Justin Timberlake, Lil Bow Wow (Lil anything, for that matter), Sia, etc., ad infinitum...

Almost all of the urban yodelers have idiotic names.

7. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Gretschie

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    'Urban Yodellers' I like that but I don't think it's accurate as yodelling, love it or hate it, requires the actual ability to sing quite well.

8. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Hoobastank. So stupid-sounding it makes my skin crawl.

JHowdy likes this.
  9. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Are we really that old, gang? Criticising today's kids and their stupid, soulless, lifeless music?

Because I'm perfectly fine with that. :)

10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I conceived the thread not to trash modern music but to focus on the different production techniques which have led to WORSE SOUNDING music, not necessarily WORSE music, although the two are not mutually exclusive. ;)

One song I thought of that fits here is Since U Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson. The chorus in particular is a compressed Wall of Fecal Material. Her voice is buried in the guitars, which blend into one loud homogenous bland oatmeal with the bass, drums and background vocals. Double tracking makes it all the more horrifying. The only way Clarkson's voice can stand out at all is to screech, which lends a distinct shrillness that allows you make out what she's singing. The song is actually perfectly fine. It's just destroyed by horrible production.

Compare that recording to the song of a similar title by Rainbow. from 1979. In the chorus Graham Bonnet's voice is louder and stands out from the backing instruments. Those in turn occupy separate sonic spaces, so you can hear them all clearly. Crisp drums, two clearly distinct guitar parts, keyboards, bass.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 5:42 PM
    Alberta_Slim likes this.
  11. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    @Winterwind and @drmilktruck, you both made me laugh out loud just now - thank you! :D

Thought: maybe modern producers are just as badly hearing damaged as so many live sound engineers.

12. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Unless I'm grousing about bad service or asking opinions about different gear most of my posts are designed to be comedic in flavour. ;)

Alberta_Slim and drmilktruck like this.
  13. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    yeah man that is a great track! never heard it before. psychedelia is what i am all about, love that era of music. how about these tracks, like em?

wildeman, Yukimajo and new6659 like this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Stupid names go hand in hand with bad music.

15. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    Thanks @Howard hughes I really enjoyed that. I am always on the look out for something new (well to me anyway!). I'm glad that there's another psychedelia fan here, we seem to be too few and far between these days :(

I had totally forgotten that Demis was with Aphrodite's Child before going solo. I wasn't quite so keen on the Left Banke just a bit too Beatlesy for my tastes. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily, it's just if I want the Beatles sound, I'll listen to John, Paul, George and Ringo!

Howard hughes likes this.
  16. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    I'd have to disagree with that I'm afraid. The case for the defence:
    Lynyrd Skynrd (pre crash obviously!)
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    The Doors (I know this is a literary reference, but still)

Howard hughes likes this.
  17. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Its all gone down hill since Benny Goodman died!

18. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    A year or so ago I read a book about the history of recording which held some fascinating revelations.

Vinyl has typically a dynamic range of around 60-65dB. When the CD arrived on the scene we were looking at a dynamic range of around 90dB which is really great if you like music from a symphony orchestra which typically has a range of 110dB, loudest to quietest passages. Of course that’s difficult to exploit to the full at home because if you can still hear the quietest passages then the loudest will lift the roof, send the neighbours running for their lawyers and probably destroy amplifier, speakers or both!

One Red Hot Chilli Peppers CD had a dynamic range of just 6dB.

Why?

Well apparently it’s largely down to US radio stations. Driving in a car it seems that, as a rule, people tune in to the station that comes across as the loudest assuming, incorrectly it may well be, that it is the station with the highest signal strength for the location you happen to be driving through and will therefore remain within reception range the longest.

This may or may not be the whole story but the reasoning is understandable but – 6dB? Included in the section on signal compression was a sample waveform from said Peppers CD and it was almost solid black rammed right up to the top of the waveform bandwidth at nearly 90dB, compressed to as good as zero dynamic range, effectively noise.
    Some mischievous tongues may maintain that that band's music is just noise but I couldn't possibly comment.

19. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Make that Bob Wills and we're on the same page.

20. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    you should check out the rubble collection, it's a huge box set of psychedelic bands with a few volumes as well. i think most if not all of it is on youtube and spotify i think? my older brother got me into psychedelia, a lot of it quite underground stuff i can't find anywhere, i just have this old cassette tape. we are a rare breed indeed sir, it's an honer to converse with a another fan! i remember being about seven and my brother playing me this song, really weird song but the guitar man! sounds like thunder claps, this made me want to play guitar along with hendrix and back to the future. search for the rubble collection!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 9:49 AM
    Yukimajo likes this.