They Really Don’t Make Music Like They Used To

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 10, 2019.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    It's true, there are significant differences in how current music sounds compared to past recordings. It's all about compression now. It's TOO DAMN LOUD!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

This video assesses the same argument with examples:

Maybe for old sound engineers only.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Doc, I recently bought a new turntable after getting some more vinyl albums from my brother. I had read some articles that claimed that there is no difference between analog vinyl and digital media. The claim was that at digital sampling rates, and the compromises required by way analog vinyl is cut, the human ear could not tell the difference. The problem is that I could definitely hear a difference. I read another article about modern day compression, and the difference I was hearing suddenly made sense. The video you posted explains it very well.

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Music was better when they let ugly people make it.

You don't need dancers to make music. Music makes dancers.

The best music was made when we were teens.

4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    An inconvenient truth as Al would say! The compression controls should be re-labelled as the "bland and lifeless" controls!

5. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I Like the old music myself

6. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Digital compression ruins music. I remember hearing tracks pre digital that were very dynamic. Digital also has a harshness that analog doesn’t have.

7. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

As we are some of the older member of the forum, I tend to agree with you. At the same time, when we talk about music back in our day, we probably need to end it with, "Now get off my lawn!" :D

8. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    .....and I like the OLDER music as I'm 16 years older than you. Of course there's always some exceptions but a lot of the "modern music", to me at least, is modern noise. I'm not a big fan of most of the "RAP" music for example. Not meaning to offend anyone, as it's just my taste. When someone asks the question "how are you today?"I often reply, "I'm good but that's just one man's opinion". So my response to this thread is the same....it's just one man's opinion.

9. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Yup , modern noise , and that's comping from someone 16 years younger then you ....lol. ;) Actually I'm a big fan of the big band stuff too . I'm born in 1958 so I grew up listening to the music of the 60's and 70's and even the shadows of the 50's . The 80's got a little wierd musically for me . So give me the old stuff any day

10. Jockabilly

Jockabilly Synchromatic

Sep 15, 2018
    Argyll
    Music recorded since 1990 makes up less than about 2% of all the music I ever listen to. It's not a conscious choice it's just that, apart from a very few heavy metal/rock groups and modern rockabilly groups (and even most of them were recording before 1990) has actually ever 'reached out and grabbed me'. I have never gotten RAP music or Dance/House or whatever you want to call it or even much of Pop at all. It all seems so lame, simplistic and synthetic.

11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    A lot of the modern stuff is based entirely upon formulas. There’s no real creativity, just an attempt to make lightning strike, using the same gimmicks that have made it strike in the past.

Compression has been with us a long time, but the newer digital methods seem to strangle music entirely.

12. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Have to agree the sound is different. I have a turntable as well. Had it for years after inheriting some old jazz and other albums. My kids bought me some new albums as well - "remastered" in some cases. Dismissing some inevitable hiss and pops from 60+ yr old albums as well as the different genres the "depth" of the music seems better in the old stuff. Some of that older swing/Dixie (sorry I don't know what else to call it) does rival modern music for number of instruments, speed, and general diversity of sound in a given track, but sounds to me like I can actually hear the instruments better.
    That video goes a long way to explaining why that could be, thanks for posting it doc!

Howard hughes and Alberta_Slim like this.
  13. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    "Music was better when they let ugly people make it" hahaha

14. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  15. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    D'ya think Johnny cash or Roy Orbison would even get a chance to appear on The Voice today? They didn't even have back up dancers.

16. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Bob Dylan and Neil Young would definitely be Auto Tuned.

Waxhead, Nooby, Howard hughes and 6 others like this.
  17. Howard hughes

Howard hughes Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2018
    London
    it's so true, and don't forget the ridiculous names like engelbert humperdinck!

18. new6659

new6659 Gretschie

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    Your post cuts me to the heart. So true!

wabash slim and Alberta_Slim like this.
  19. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    Most of the music I listen to on a regular basis now was made before I was even born. I've reached a point in my life where I simply can't waste my limited time on stuff that I regard as stupid noise tailor-made for people who don't mind being told what to like. What I crave - and I do mean literally crave, the way my brain craves oxygen - is music as free of artifice as possible, and as you progress through the history of music in the western world, that becomes harder and harder to find in recorded form. And please, no lectures about how all recorded music is a form of artifice; you're not talking to a 6-year old for cryin' out loud! :p

This dynamics-free, wall of sound crap has been going on for a long time now. For me that means almost instantaneous listener's fatigue. As for rap, don't get me started. I absolutely don't care if this offends anyone, but it's all garbage. There was some very cool funky stuff being made for the first several years after it arrived on the scene, some of it for fun and dancing and much of it with really valuable messages in the lyrics, but that's ancient history now, and most hip-hop fans (which now apparently comprises almost everyone from elementary school age up to and including folks in middle age) aren't even aware it ever existed. What we have now is a seriously toxic culture of strutting malevolent male-violent nastiness that would have shocked my father the ex-navy and army man. Or if the "artist" is female, how great she is in the sack, period. Great message to pass on to the little girls in these enlightened times, eh?

What, we're supposed to give this idiotic retrograde crap a pass because it's made by African-Americans? Give me a break! African-Americans have a long and glorious history of making some of the most creative, extraordinary, beautiful music in the history of the human species, but again, just as with white folks, creativity and originality in music has gone right down the toilet.

This is my manifesto and my challenge: take music away from the executives and producers (who are all, to a man and woman, alien invaders trying to sap our will to resist by forcing a lifeless robotic arts culture on us) and return it to the people! :cool:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  20. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Names have gotten far more ridiculous since then. Just look at who got nominated for Grammys.

Howard hughes and Alberta_Slim like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice