These threads got me thinking....?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by larryb, Dec 4, 2019.

1. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Between the "TV Jones Guitars" and the "Defunct Guitar Brands" threads...I was thinking about the (not-so-common) guitars we own or may have owned that are truly remarkable

Tell us about your "sleepers"

Mine would be my current, mid 90's MIJ Yamaha AES1500...
    This thing is a beast...fully hollow..but with a nice chunk of wood under the bridge and tail that really keeps this big 17" bout monster from uncontrollable squealing. Fueled by 2 coil tapped mini Dimarzios...This guitar is capable of ANYTHING!! Being a hollowbody, of course it does luscious cleans, but where this guitar comes alive is when you add drive and dirt...Loads of punch and sustain...while maintaining clarity.

The Duesy trem works like a charm and the guitar stays in tune wonderfully...even with dive bombs!:cool:...With that said... I prefer the look of just the stop tail and may convert it back to stock.

Now tell us about your amazing-uncommon guitar experiences...

yaj1.jpg yaj2.jpg

2. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    my es 335 copy which is actually very good i'm just not sure about humbuckers anymore? not after hearing the amazing sound of my gretsch and telecaster with lipstick tube, buckers sound muddy to me now but i guess they are not the best quality (dog on my shoulder hahaha) AFFDC2BC-F9C6-48D5-A7B0-344212227977.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  3. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    upload_2019-12-5_1-49-38.png

An all original (except for the tuners which were originally Imperials) BC Rich Eagle from 1978, made in the original BC Rich shop. Neck through body, very early Dimarzio Dual Sound pickups, coil splitting, phase shifting, two on board amps, made to do it all!

mrfixitmi, loudnlousy, Jeff67 and 8 others like this.
  4. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    That's got to be a Jack Russell?

GOOBALL JEFF and audept like this.
  5. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    nah it's a whippet who happens to hate my playing haha

new6659 likes this.
  6. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    IMG_2060.jpg
    I built this one in the mid 90's over the course of a couple of years. The top is a paisley blouse I found in a second hand store and glued to the top with spray glue then covered with about 25 coats of sanding sealer before shooting with nitro (it still has the texture in some places) . I had one of those wet transfer decals on the headstock but it was rated R and had to come off when the kiddos came along. It sounds and plays great and has survived many a late night gig in some sketchy dives and may or may not have had to "Keef" an unruly drunk with it at some point.
    It doesn't leave the house these days, so I stole the straplocks for another guitar. An ugly guitar that kinda does it all except bigsby stuff. I might have a bender put in it at some point if I live long enough.
    Not a production guitar, but as close as I can get - hope its ok to post.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I don’t know about “truly remarkable” but I build this concept guitar about 30 years ago. To this day the weirdest thing in my collection.

[​IMG]

Headless nylon string with tremolo, piezo, and position dot Leds.

8. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    That is very nice work

Ricochet likes this.
  9. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    yes! That is cool!

Ricochet likes this.
  10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, in my personal case, there would be several... :confused:

OK : I'll restrict to the two most notable (that you already saw here and there in the forum, by the way :rolleyes:) : my Fake-Improbable-Lefty-Danelectro projects :

-------------------- The Minerva Verde ------------------------ The Orange Blossom Special ---------------

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A+!

DennisC, mrfixitmi, Jeff67 and 10 others like this.
  11. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Got two, the Schecter Ultra III in Vintage Blue and an Airline Map Guitar in Seafoam Green.

The Schecter has 3 Duncan Designed humbucking pickups, 3 individual 3 way slider switches for on/off/coil split, for a staggering array of tonal options. It is a bit heavy, made of solid Mahogany and a Mahogany set neck. Nice raised center body and edge contours. Licensed Bigsby and Graph Tech nut, Grover tuners and a tune-o-matic roller bridge.

Thing has a great vintage vibe, looks straight out of the 60s/70s, yet was a fresh design of their own. Always refreshing when I pull it out of the well fitted case (sold separately). Got a great deal on it when I bought it maybe 8 years ago?

Next, the Airline Map Guitar (by Eastwood). Obviously inspired by the National Newport (from 1962). Instead of Resoglass, these are made of chambered Mahogany. Body is bound, has a licensed Bigsby and a pair of humbucking pickups. Has an adjustable roller bridge. It was my first Bigsby equipped guitar, bought maybe 8 or 9 years ago. Again, got a great deal at the time. Again, case sold separately (it is a giant hard shell case, looks like they are now selling some type of gig Bag instead?). When I pick this one up, I just can't not play Pipline or other surf music!

20170721_170938.jpg 20180723_122343.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  12. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Love the Schecter!

My old Italia would have fit in well with that bunch...also a great guitar!
    grt.jpg

13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Guys ! I dig your guitars ! :cool::cool::cool:

@T Bone : I don't know if your Schecter Ultra III is (or was) available in LH, but it's really my taste... ;)

A+!

mrfixitmi, T Bone and larryb like this.
  14. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    I've had this one since the early 80's and it's one of my most treasured guitars.

83 Ibanez Artist AM205
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mrfixitmi, TSims1, wildeman and 7 others like this.
  15. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Oh yeah!!! My very first "good" guitar was a mid 80's Solid Body Artist....Amazing guitars!!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  16. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    :)

larryb likes this.
  17. afire

afire Country Gent

Early '60s Hofner Club 60:
    [​IMG]
    I had one for a while and found it to be a surprisingly remarkable guitar. Honestly, I bought it because they're so cool looking, but ended up loving the tone. There's something really wooly and rootsy about how it sounded. Like a zillion other guitars, I probably should have kept it.

18. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    The old Carvin DC 100 from 83’. Still gets it done for just about any application.
    B386C722-EB40-41D3-A53E-F0B6E11043A1.jpeg

19. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I'm not sure how we're classifying a sleeper, but I'll share these ones as examples of cool, different/funky ones I've wound up w/:
    Italia Modena:
    [​IMG]
    This is a surprisingly (to me anyway) nice playing guitar & just too cool in general to not have snagged it.

Dipinto Mach IV:
    [​IMG]Dipinto Galaxie:
    [​IMG] Both of these are really great guitars too, I play the Mach IV more than the Galaxie as it covers more ground for me, but the sounds & feel of the Galaxie w/ flats is something special for surfy/pasketti kinda stuff for me.

Peerless Retromatic:
    [​IMG]
    I grabbed this one on blow out at Sam Ash & was super impressed w/ it bone stock. I was wanting to try Surf 90s in it (which turned out amazing to my ears) & added the Stetsbar since I'd yet to try one & the vibrato equipped trim levels of these came w/ them. It'll likely wind up w/ a Deusy Tremola or another set of tailpiece bushings mounting a Les Trem II further back from the bridge & a Towner bar at some point as it's too cool of a guitar for me to let my less than stellar experience of the Stetsbar on it discourage me from playing it.

On the more mainstream but still funky end of things:
    '96 Ibanez Talman:
    [​IMG]
    It's been a heck of a guitar w/ zero deficiencies for me & I thought they did a great job amalgamating features/cues from other guitar styles & winding up w/ something uniquely cool IMO.

'70s Guild B-301:
    [​IMG]
    I thought it deserved another post just based it being one heck of a bass & its awesome shape that manages to be super ergonomic for me while never failing to illicit thoughts of an exotic medieval infantry weapon of some sort.

'03 Fender Cyclone:
    [​IMG]
    Started out as a great in house Fender amalgamation w/ Mustang style body, Strat bridge, 24.75" scale, & HBs & customized a fair bit by me, it's one of my favorite & most versatile guitars.

Fender Super Sonic:
    [​IMG]
    Another weirdly great MiM Fender w/ fairly extensive customization by me. Going by internet lore, the initial design inspiration for the original Japanese Squier version of these was a pic of Jimi playing a RH Jazzmaster. It's been a great little short scale for me & surprisingly comfortable.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    gtttrrr, mrfixitmi, T Bone and 3 others like this.
  20. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Excellent @Sid Nitzerglobin :cool::cool::cool: ! I'll start by taking the 3 firsts... :rolleyes: Ah, RH : well, too bad... :(;)

A+!

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice