There's GOLD in them thar thrills!

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by sh4rkbyt3, May 13, 2019.

1. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Yep, survived a few razor strops here as well......and I thought I was such a good little boy(mother begged to differ apparently).

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  2. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I think I'd rather be hit with a shoe than do a full string change on a Bigsby-equipped guitar without locking tuners. :D

Honestly, it does get easier with practice, even without locking tuners. Pre-bending the strings is key. Other things that help: slide a rubber eraser or a foam makeup wedge under the string post to hold the ball end on while you string up. Then pull the string tight, and use a capo to hold the string in place before you insert the end into the tuning post. Enjoy!

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  3. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Great tips here.
    It was just frustrating losing the ends mostly but your capo idea definitely sounds do-able and a good fix. I was taught early on about a) stretchign strings first and b) wash your hands before you play always.

4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    You oughta try bringing a mandolin up to pitch:eek:

5. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Pahahaha no thank you. Sounds like walking through the minefield all over again.

6. macatt

macatt Gretschie

Mar 18, 2011
    Silverdale WA
    What a bunch of weenies :)
    Try changing a 12 string set on a Rickenbacker with an "R" tailpiece.
    No rubber eraser or special tool will help you then.

S Mac

Gretschtim1 and Lionpotato like this.
  7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    When I first got a Gretsch back in 2010 I discovered some unexpected idiosyncrasies about them:
    Floating bridge: I didn't know about this, bought a used 6120 pre-FMIC from Japan on Ebay. Decided to put new strings on, cut the old ones off and the bridge promptly fell on the floor ! OK, learnt about that, got some cello rosin, did the intonation by ear, then sent it to my luthier anyway.
    Next: Bigsby. I thought re-stringing might be a nightmare, but it was so easy , no tools, I just used my fingers to bend a shape that would sit on the pins nicely without falling off.
    Last: I learned how properly cut nuts are so important for stable tuning after seeing the before-and-after adjustments made by my luthier.

Changing strings on a Bigsby-equipped Gretsch turned out to be the easiest task of all!

macatt, sh4rkbyt3 and Lionpotato like this.
  8. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Just got the chance to actually watch the video, perfect tool!!! That'll definitely be on order very soon and kept in one of my cases. Much thanks for that tip hc :)!

9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah not fun to do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice