There's GOLD in them thar thrills!

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by sh4rkbyt3, May 13, 2019 at 2:57 PM.

1. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    The arrival of my Brick's Biggs Fix Super Squishy Spring :)

Attached Files:

mrfixitmi, section2, Ricochet and 5 others like this.
  2. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    This is for my G5420TG Electromatic. Not really crazy about the amount of pressure you have to apply to get some warbling so this should fix that quite handily and make it much more player friendly. Likely some more upgrades in the future too ;) .

section2 and hcsterg like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    don't forget to report back

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Congrats!
    I have 3 briggs squishy springs. I love what they do!

section2 and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I love them so much I bought 15 of them! One of my best decisions.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  6. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Ok here goes with some observations.

1) Do not give anyone on the verge of a nervous breakdown your Gretsch and ask them to change the strings for you, and for heaven's sake don't tell them your in a rush either.

2) String posts on your Bigsby tailpiece are not made to cut pasta, even in an emergency.

3) Read the Yogi Berra mantra over and over again at least 50 times: "Deja Vu, all over again" when the strings pop off of the tailpiece posts (Especially low E and A)!

4) Never under any circumstances ever change strings on a Gretsch guitar without pants.

5) If you have a friend who happens to also be a surgeon, ask him to align your strings for you and then sit back and watch.

6) If your playing live, always have a backup Gretsch nearby and in tune.

Other than those things the spring change went well actually. I don't feel as if I'm about to break the tailpiece or the strings to get a good octave bend out of them now. Also much less push down and pull up force to get an even better sound.

I'd absolutely recommend the Brick's Biggs Fix squishy spring over the factory OEM spring anyday! Thankfully my bridge is posted too! Tailpiece isn't, which I wasn't aware of lol.

A learning experience that paid off very well :).

mrfixitmi, section2 and Merc like this.
  7. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Just out of curiousity, does anyone else guard themselves as if their mother is about to beat them with a shoe when tuning the high E string? Me either, was just curious ;).

section2 and Henry like this.
  8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Been there a time or two. Mainly, because I still remember when one did suddenly break. :(

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  9. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

sh4rkbyt3, I'm glad you posted about your Super Squishy, because a got a few last week, myself. I put a gold one on my 534TG Pro Jet, and man what a difference!

Congrats on your SS!

sh4rkbyt3, Merc and audept like this.
  10. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Congrats on the great upgrade to squishy goodness!

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  11. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Really big difference too. I expected it to be a little easier but wow it's like ... well ... squishy now and it's a relief not feeling as if I'm gong to break something and then have agem bite the dust.

Hahahah I really like it too! I'm definitely going to get another one for my White Falcon soon too. So much better than I thought it would be. I can't remember who originally posted it but I absolutley appreciate it :)!

12. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    Wasn't a simple upgrade by any means only because I've never changed strings on a Bigsby tailpiece but I wish I'd have known about this sooner. The stiffness in the original factory spring is really strong, way too strong for my taste but this BBF spring really did the trick :)!
    A must have upgrade IMO.

section2 and thunder58 like this.
  13. Merc

Merc Synchromatic

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Every string change with a Bigsby gets easier. It beats paying someone to do such a basic thing. And I t’s really not bad at all if you pre bend the string right past the eyelet that slides onto the Bigsby.

Maybe it’s only happened to me, but if you change all strings at once, make sure the spring is seated correctly too. One time mine looked like it was but wasn’t. My first and second string were doing this vibration sound with no sustainment. At first I thought my action was off do to weather.

section2 likes this.
  14. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    I guess I must've gotten lucky then? I didn't pre-bend although I think next time I definitely will and I played it for a bit and did some medium bends both with all of the strings and then using the Bigsby and no problem. Thanks for the tip :).

section2 likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yes! I had to change strings for a job so learned after a few mishaps, to drape a towel or strap over the string when changing.

section2 likes this.
  16. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My Mom didn't use a shoe.

Used a wooden spoon instead.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Was there something wrong with the back of her hand?

I guess I shouldn’t complain. My dad used to be whipped or caned on his bare back.o_O

section2 likes this.
  18. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My parents never hit, spanked or slapped me ever. God knows I deserved it more than a few times. Punishment was only ever withdrawal of privileges. I must be a real anomaly. I used the same approach with my own children, but not with exactly the same success rate outcomes.

section2 and Ricochet like this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The spoon hurt more. Dad would use anything he could lay his hands on. Grandfather used a razor strop---which I still have. They were firm believers in the "Spare the rod" school of thought. Thankfully, it was rare.

Ricochet likes this.
  20. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes @sh4rkbyt3 !

All my Bigsby fitted guitars have now a BBF SSS and a BBF bearings front roller (on B5 and B7) and that's fine. I wouldn't go back...

Add to this a TUSQ-XL antifriction nut.

For stringing a Bigsby, here's a handy accessory that I use - not cheap, yes, but I really wouldn't part with !

http://www.stringraytool.com/

A+!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice