theNocturneBrain.. Rooster? Guitars? ..yep

Discussion in 'Commercial Sellers, Dealers and Manufacturers' started by TV the Wired Turtle, Jun 21, 2019.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Tavo - you could put a mini Brain inside as an opti0n.

2. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Crap. I want one.

3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Get one and I'll buy it from you when you flip it after a few days! :p

4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I thought about it for a minute :) then it passed like a kidney stone.

drmilktruck, ruger9 and audept like this.
  5. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    ok so.. 2" thick body, plan is for all models to be 25" although the proto is 25 1/2" because of the redwood top. The inlays are super minimal and I used steel dual dots.
    Regarding the black stain.. take a look at these two pics of test board cut from the same blank. One is with direct light on it(bottom pic), the other is not direct light (top pic). The point is to show that its not completely opaque stain, rather it bears some translucence. I should have pointed that out earlier. Also worth noting, this is stain only w a quick sealer, not a finished sample. All to say, its not necessarily a "black guitar" although a black analine dye was my choice for this unique finish yielding coffee and carmel vibes that tie well to the cherry on the back and sides w cream binding and pickup tops.
    black rooster dark.jpg black stain rooster.jpg

6. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    25" scale seems like an odd choice, it's hardly any different from 24.6" Gretsch scale.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I kinda like the "Solomon Scale". 25.5 can get uncomfortable for me, especially playing rhythm

Merc likes this.
  8. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Had that bottom picture posted earlier it likely would’ve saved me a whole bunch of typing and everyone some reading. So I’ll shut up now that I can see some grain, even if it’s up close and certain angles.

I dig the 25” length, great choice that should accommodate more players rather than doing two different scale lengths.

It will influence the sound and feel even if minor. If you buy into the below article it should add a little more chime and tighter low E. 25 1/2” bothers me slightly at times but I’m good with the 25.125” (638mm) of my Vox.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/.amp/miscellaneous/5-things-about-scale-length

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    audept likes this.
  9. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Interesting article on scale length, thanks for posting Merc!

Merc likes this.
  10. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    yep thanks for posting that article. you all know I build for myself first and if it tickles me silly on stage and works well with my band, its worth sharing w my friends. That said I move between three different scale instruments on a regular basis for my weekend job. 25.5" with a tele and 25.25 w my YM68 ovation, my gretschs are 24.6" and my gibson is 24.75". So by going with a 25" scale it ends up being an instrument that allows gibson and fender players to find a comfortable medium without losing some of that low wound string definition.

11. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    do you like PRS? They use a 25" on some of my favorites. I still miss my CE-22 w its 25" scale it was almost strat like but still refined on the top end like a gibson but more defined on the low end, unlike an LP. It had a 10" radius that was fast and silky. On my Rooster its 9.5" radius w nice bulbous but low 6105 stainless steel frets on ebony fitted w coated 10gauge strings.

Echocat23 likes this.
  12. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have never played a PRS, but I have both 24.6" & 25.5" scale guitars and I have no problem switching between them. I was just interested as to why a scale that was halfway between the 2 would be more desirable than either of the Gretsch scales. :cool:

Merc likes this.
  13. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I'm sure that was Paul's reason (PRS)

Ha! Great minds!

I had a PRS for a couple years. I had 11's on it, just like I do on my Gretsch. On the tele I use 10-52... if I gigged alot, I could probably maintain the finger strength to use 11's on it too, but...

Personally, I prefer Fender's 25.5..... I like the extra punch it provides. And I have no problem moving between 24.6 and 25.5... but given a choice, I prefer 25.5

As I look at new hollowbodies (339, WildKat, Johnny A, etc)... I'm also looking for 25.5
    It wouldn't be a deal-breaker either way, I'm just a tad more comfy there, since my #1 for 16 years has been a tele.

14. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Smart move. 25” really is the magic number. Getting more excited.......

TV the Wired Turtle and Merc like this.
  15. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Well if you put it THAT way, OK, now I get it. I could likely be very happy with the stock finish. Thanks for the pictures. I'd probably be OK with the old-man furniture look, too, since I'm an old man, and spend a lot of time sitting on furniture.

16. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    do you ever set on furniture?

17. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I think with what seems to be dubbed furniture guitars is that some people appreciate the natural beauty and unique grain of different wood species. While others like the simpleness of one color. No right or wrong really, just that some view it a shame to hide what they deem as beauty in the wood.

I’m satisfied that I can slightly see the grain. I’m going to guess this guitar might be mid $2k to $3k-ish. Honestly, the price range will likely be to high for many millennials because of the burden of school debt. So the old men who buy furniture guitars are likely to be the main buyers in that range as they’re more financially settled later in life. But I believe this is being built out of love and an idea, not solely to make hords of money... though that would be a bonus.

Honestly, it could be cheaper plywood that gets the job done and the average non musician wouldn't likely be able to tell the tonal difference. Just as when some say two different guitars sound exactly the same. I know, I’ve asked people as many of you likely have at one time.

Rest assured, if Nocturne builds it, they will come.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    new6659, blueruins and drmilktruck like this.
  18. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    If Tavo is out to simply make hordes of money his business model sucks:)

I hope it comes in all good time though.

Merc likes this.
  19. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    PRS would agree with you.

Merc likes this.
  20. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    could you make me a business model to make hordes of money. So far I'm able to keep a starbucks apron off or an uber sign off my car. The two jobs most gigging musicians rock on the side.

larryb, ruger9 and Merc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice