theNocturneBrain.. Rooster? Guitars? ..yep

Discussion in 'Commercial Sellers, Dealers and Manufacturers' started by TV the Wired Turtle, Jun 21, 2019.

1. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I knew I needed to have Barry build me a guitar when I played a bunch of his back in January at that little get-together in Santa Ana, my difficulty was deciding what direction to go in for the basic design. I love the sound of his redwood semihollow but wasn't sure it would be all-purpose enough for my needs. You may have done the hard part for me with this design. I would love to make arrangements to play yours to see if it floats my proverbial boat as much as I suspect it will. I'd love to be one of the first to order one. But, fair warning, we won't be covering up that wood.

Merc likes this.
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I hear ya—have to see it in person, trying a few designs to get the feel. Frustrating when you look at it another way, straight on, and it don’t look right. From what I see, it looks good, and the thin top is right up my alley. I’m glad you covered up that ‘awful’ wood grain. It’s an electric guitar not a dinner table :)

larryb and Stefan like this.
  3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I like painted tops and I love beautiful wood grain. Maybe it’s because I’ve worked with wood in the past, but I don’t believe in using a beautiful special wood to be covered up. It’s more appropriate to use an equal but plain piece to get painted. Although I bet Nocturne had no idea initially he was going to have it painted and it might’ve even been the builders idea. I can imagine his thoughts when he was asked to paint it.

I wonder what it would look with a transparent black top. It might be a good in between that could satisfy both top lovers.

I’m sure I’m one of many excited for Nocturne and hope it takes off. I like what I see so far.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  4. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Grez has lots of transparent tops. Pretty sure the finish is chosen by Tavo, not Barry/Grez. They are choosing specific tone wood for the tone, rather than appearance, I believe, and would have readily used it if it had been more plain. Barry has used redwood quite a bit; its inevitable that some will be covered up.

Stefan likes this.
  5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I get that it’s selected for tone. But painting over a figured redwood top that’s been likely sunk for 100+ years (plus the fact it was likely hundreds if not 1,000 year old tree) just feels like a shame. Surely there is another similar tone option.

Although an acoustic, the below is a guitar online with similar sinker redwood. It looks delish to me all natural.

53EA3AAA-C996-4A11-990A-B99F571B1972.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Barry Grzebik makes great guitars. I had been considering getting one of his instruments, but the terrible exchange rate between the AUS & US dollar made me put that on hold until finances recover. The idea of a Grez/Nocturne collaboration guitar is exciting to say the least!

drmilktruck and Merc like this.
  7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I looked up the price of his for sale now, high end price for sure but looks like great work. Here’s some of his stuff as a blacktop. Which I guess would be as close looking to a finished Rooster that we can see for now. At least the black top sort of fits with the name Nocturne.

0EE5A4B7-505F-4421-A195-BE76B322E73B.jpeg
    BF083C09-C9B5-4325-BBBD-664CE55D18E9.jpeg

8. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    ^ That looks great! I guess it's a good decision from Tavo goin' with that black top ...as long as it's nitro :cool:

9. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    ..so will this have a Floyd Rose and EMG's then?:D

I am really curious to see the finished product!

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  10. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    FWIWI... I'm the designer from start to finish, Barry is only the builder following my direction. I mean, dont want to say it "hes only the builder" because his craftmanship is stellar.. but in the same sentence.. This is my concept, my design and I've put Barry through the wringer w my hairbrain directions. Everything is intentional here. I had first decided I really wanted to show off the chocolate meets orange hues w the offset of black in the grain pattern but ultimately it was the tone and the concept of a california guitar using a california wood and moving towards a younger mindset while embracing the mash up of past instruments (see guitar inspirations below). You cannot cut down redwood trees, you can only use fallen lumber. In this situation one step further by using carefully chosen pieces pulled from a river. This is conjuction w a thin back honduran mahogany body is everything.. I guarantee the majority of millennial buyers find a great value in the reclaimed, california specific tonewood but dont want a guitar that looks like furniture. In fact they are digging paint over sunburst, unsealed grain painted over as well. I welcome this to a point and for me, while the top bears concealment of the treasure beneath,there is still most of the guitar's wood exposed in transparent cherry finish (yes nitro lacquer). ps. Stefan, the guitar is weighing in at 6.4 lbs with everything.

These three instruments are "instrumental in the design mashup":
    The 55' Gretsch Roundup;
    [​IMG]

The george van eps 7 string gretsch;
    [​IMG]

and more importantly the Paul Bigsby built, Kay made for Merle Travis which later was known as the Jack Parson's Bigsby
    [​IMG]

rob batz, RomanS, Echocat23 and 5 others like this.
  11. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Ha, good to know I was close with my weight guessing :)

TV the Wired Turtle and Merc like this.
  12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Cool to see the inspiration. It’ll be interesting to see which direction you went with the inlays.

Maybe I missed it, but what’s the body depth?

I think I recall you saying a longer scale length. If so, is it an in between 25” or a 25 1/2” length? Or am I totally wrong and it’s a Gretschy length?

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm not 100 percent serious about covering the top up--it is pretty to look at. I work with wood as well, and I appreciate matched grain. That's the cool thing about Tavo's guitar, it gets 'it' in the right places--and I don't see this working as a whole with a natural finish. The back being natural, well yeah, that's gotta happen (why I love 50s sparkle Jets). That's how I'd buy it (if I could)--sparkle or metallic painted top :)

Merc likes this.
  14. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If you've got a waiting list, please put me on it.

Merc and drmilktruck like this.
  15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I dont have a waiting list but I'll give you a sales pitch in a few weeks if you want :) We've set out to do a batch of 10 on this first run of fun.

BorderRadio and Merc like this.
  16. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I guess we’ll get more specs at that time. I hope it leads to a quick sold out.

You’ve been very busy working lately. I’ve seen the future products on your Instagram and Facebook. Is that Seltzerado a prototype for a Seltzerado 2.0?

17. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Electromatic

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Sign me up, too. I'd love to get in on that first run if it's not already spoken for.

Merc likes this.
  18. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Pitch away, sir.

19. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I could be convinced too.

Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice