theNocturneBrain.. Rooster? Guitars? ..yep

Discussion in 'Commercial Sellers, Dealers and Manufacturers' started by TV the Wired Turtle, Jun 21, 2019.

1. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    IMG_3864.JPG IMG_3875.JPG IMG_3874.JPG IMG_3887.JPG IMG_3886.JPG IMG_3885.JPG IMG_3888.JPG IMG_3918.JPG IMG_4767.JPG IMG_4768.JPG A year and a half ago I began a convo w Guitar builder, Barry of Grez Guitars.. It happened organically because Tommy Harkenrider was using my pedals and amp, along w a custom semi hollow Grez guitar that carried an undeniably rich sound albeit squarely in the gibson genre. I got to talking to Barry about making a fretless bass neck for a rutters 51' p-bass I had that my son wouldnt play because he doesnt like fretted electric bass necks. So I took measurements from my son's King double bass and Barry recreated a workable fretless neck that feels closer to an upright neck than a pbass. Being so impressed by his attention to detail and more so to acoustic presence in electric instruments I asked if we might be able to move forward working together to create the ultimate "Nocturne Guitar for my pedals and amps".. My desire was to borrow from both the vintage gretsch, and vintage paul bigsby world, hoping to meld both a longer scale duojet vibe mashed up w the super thin flat top style of the Jack Parson model bigsby guitar. I've always been in love w my Gretsch spectrasonic( a tv jones creation) but wanted a longer fender scale and a much more resonant almost acoustic guitar response while not losing the twang and snarl of gretsch guitar. I headed up to Mendocino county to Grez's shop and we began discussion of mixing ancient sinker redwood tops and honduran mahogany bodies w macassar ebony fretboards.. Soon after that ideas and designs began to turn into tangible reality.. a production model Nocturne Rooster guitar. Progress is moving along

2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Oww a Nocturne Les Paul... :p

...or maybe not, but I can tell it's gonna be good!

3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
  4. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    That’s great. The future belongs to unique custom made guitars. Really curious! I hope this beauty gets a floating Bigsby ;)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  5. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    That bandsaw is awesome! Maybe I can send you some zebrawood to resaw for me :) My old 12" Craftsman bandsaw is too underpowered for good resaw cuts...:(

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Looks great! I'll be watching this build with interest. What hardware/pickups/etc. are you planning on using?

7. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Very cool. Congratulations!

8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Love the wood! ("Heh heh. He said wood...") I'd be interested.

9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Looking good.

P.S. unless he moved shop, Barry is in Petaluma, Sonoma County, a neighbor of mine.

10. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    Looks like it is going to be a very pretty instrument.

11. JHall55

JHall55 Country Gent

Dec 18, 2012
    Ontario
  12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Luckily it isn’t as that would bring the Gibs after him.

I’m still on the fence about hiding that top. But I do get the kids these days want black. I really like the star design on the headstock and I’m looking forward to seeing the final product. Hoping this Rooster rocks!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  13. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    oh it hurt REAL REAL bad to cover up what... hundreds of yrs old reclaimed sinker redwood pulled up from the bottom of a water way w that amazing black mineral vein in the grain that only comes from being underwater. BUT.. the guitar with or without stain still has ancient California redwood in it :) I did allow a tiny peekaboo of the cherry in the center of the top but was careful to give zero nods to dad guitars w sunburst. Plus if you want to enjoy seeing wood, there's the ebony fretboard and the entire back of the guitars cherry translucent stain on the honduran hog wood. :) Still gonna offer straight up ambered clear nitro if somebody wants it but that ol'man furniture look that some of us still love (ahem..) is not a focus. :)

Aristophon and Merc like this.
  14. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I would think going into production with a different top may lower cost a hair, especially if hidden anyway. Any thoughts to another species for the top?

15. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    sperzel locking tuners, tusk nut, usa milled ABR-1 style bridge, bigsby B3 vibrato. Custom TV Jones pickup offerings, all in DeArmond mount w parchment bobbin tops: rooster'tron based on the raybutts pickup but w a classic brass filtertron bottom plate. As well as T-90s in DeArmond mount and T-armonds in classic DeArmond mount. CTS pots, PIO cap w a push pull phase switch.

16. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Lookin great!!! Yeah, I woulda had a hard time coverin that wood up..... gonna be a beaut

Bertotti and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  17. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    The cost is about the same on the tops, both front and back are very thin with thick routed sides.. and the instrument must be handled as one handles a robust acoustic. The goal is to get the fullness of say an ES-335 instrument from a jet sized guitar. The fun part of a california designed and built guitar is the california ancient reclaimed redwood but... I know at some point I'll want myrtle from the pacific northwest/oregon involved to keep north america part of it.

Aristophon and Merc like this.
  18. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    What are we looking at weight wise? This looks very interesting indeed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice