The World's Greatest Cover Band

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by kjmac, Nov 19, 2019.

1. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I have been a huge Chicago (CTA) fan since I was a teenager. I've always liked the combination of rock and roll with horns and have been listening to Chicago for about 40 years now. I recently came across a Russian group that call themselves "Leonid and Friends" and their specialty is recreating the great music of Chicago. If you are familiar with Chicago, or even if you're not, you should watch and listen to this video from YouTube. I'm beginning to think they do Chicago better than Chicago (Forgive me Robert Lamm). Their guitar player is one of the few that I've heard replicate the riffs of the great Terry Kath.

ZackyDog, GlenP, Telechamp and 2 others like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    At work ( my full time job at the Utilitu Co ) I listen to a lot of " You Tube " at my desk while doing computer work . Not 10 minutes ago I was listening to this band " does anybody real know what time it is " ...great band , thanks for sharing

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    ZackyDog likes this.
  3. Jeff67

Jeff67 Gretschie

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Wow! If I had been listening to this and not watching the video, I would've thought Chicago released some remasters. Great stuff!

4. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Really well done, hadn't heard of them.

5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I saw them in 68’ at the Filmore West, the year before they shortened their name to CTA. I can hardly remember them because they were brand new and the opening act that night, but I remember they were good.

Thanks for the post, great memories.

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    They started as the Chicago Transit Authority, locally known as the CTA. The actual CTA, the gov't. entity that runs the "L" trains, sued the band for copyright infringement. The band changed their name to just Chicago and history was made. Chicago was just one of many great bands out of the Windy City---including the Blues Brothers.

As far as great cover bands go, none can compare to the legendary NRBQ.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    thunder58 likes this.
  7. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    WOW! That was indeed something.. Impressed.

8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Here's the one I spoke of earlier , outstanding

9. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    They are certainly tight and do faithful and spirited covers.

I'm actually not one who digs the more note-for-note, by the books covers. I'd rather see songs be taken somewhere else in some way--so these hold little interest for me. But I completely get the work that goes into it and understand why some people love these.

wabash slim and Henry like this.
  10. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I agree. Playing note for note turns rock into classical music. Not that that is a bad thing, but rock needs some spontaneity.

11. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    So, symphonies are really just cover bands.

Henry and Waxhead like this.
  12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Orchestras are the ultimate cover bands. They have to perform the same composition exactly the same way every time!

Waxhead likes this.
  13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I agree :)
    I had a GF once who was a classically trained pianist who had played in orchestras. Fabulous player obviously who would not lower herself to touch an electronic keyboard. Classically and rigidly trained to recreate written musical scores to perfection.

She saw me improvising blues and jazz solos and asked how I did it.
    I showed her pentatonic blues scales and explained how to play around the chord changes in 12 bar blues. She was totally lost, could not loosen up her rigid training and could not free flow into the groove.

We spent some hours together with this but she never improved and gave up on it saying if I wrote it down on a staff she could play it instantly.

14. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There are variations. Bach wrote for instruments we don't have anymore, and for specific organs. I did a series of ancient music shows, and many of the instruments they used were museum pieces. A 4/4 bass viol one guy used was the fattest, richest sounding upright I've ever heard---made in 1610. Another guy spent half of the gig showing off his antique horn collection. You are right, tho---they do tend to stick to the scores closely.

Most folks' exposure to classical music comes from Looney Toons.

15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    They are very talented and accurate to Chicago instrumentally, and sometimes, vocally. One of the singers sounds just like Peter Cetera. They would be fun to see live.

But if I want to see (and hear) the live version of say, Beginnings, I would cue up this video:

16. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    From that picture alone, it's a prime example of how NOT to mike a Leslie.

17. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    Australia's own Zep Boys play Zepplin Covers with Synhormonic Orchestra's when they tour @ home & abroad...

They're an amazing band

18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Incredibly good musicians.
    I wonder why they are not doing their own stuff.
    Doing covers at that skill-level sounds like wasting talent, imho.

19. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Electromatic

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    NRBQ......now there is some good stuff!!!!

wabash slim likes this.
  20. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    Reminds me a little of The Lexington Lab band on Ytube. Amazingly tight, talented covers of some of the iconic rock classics spanning a couple of decades.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice