The wait is over - Bonus NAD & NGD

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by 6124Bassman, Apr 23, 2019.

1. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well I’m finally getting around to starting my NAD thread, and since receiving the amp in the mail I have also gotten another new (to me) amp and guitar... so this thread is a sort of bonus NAD/NGD thread :p First I’d just like to say thanks to everyone on this wonderful forum that listens to me rant about guitars and amps - my fiancé already gets enough as it is.

So I guess I ought to start with the amp I mentioned a while back, and never actually posted when I it got delivered. This is the ‘62 Brownface Pro that I bought on reverb about two weeks ago. I’ve had it for a week now, and I must say it is probably my favorite amp I’ve ever had. It has quite a nice bit of headroom, but gives the goods around 5-6 on the volume. I like a nice edge of breakup tone and this one gives just that. The harmonic tremolo dishes out the crazy univibe type swirling sound that is unique to these Brownface amps. The replacement Weber California speaker is very nice, surprisingly bright and clear for a big ol’ 15” speaker. I found a 1962 JBL D130F (a factory option for the Pro) that I might purchase soon just to get the amp back to as close to original as possible. Overall I’m extremely happy with this amp, and this one will be staying with me (I tend to move through gear quickly) because I know I will regret trading/selling this one.

4BD4B735-4320-44FC-9893-19B5F7C86D29.jpeg

ED5BCD20-7695-4F7E-81F5-542BF0665B50.jpeg

4F84AFBC-4C99-4227-9126-0C1FEAF97599.jpeg

If we’re going in chronological order that brings us to the guitar now. I’ve been into Dire Straits, Robin Trower, and Hendrix pretty heavily lately, and what do they all have in common? I was in need of a nice Stratocaster. I was at a buddy’s house taking a few recordings of the Pro amp, and we were talking about how if I could find a ‘57 Reissue strat that would be ideal. A shop near me had a wonderful ‘57 Reissue with a neck that was perfect for me, but it was candy apple red which I’m not a fan of. Well, the very next morning, another friend of mine posted a translucent blonde ‘57 Reissue for sale, so it was meant to be. This one has a perfect neck for me also, nice thick V shape, super glossy, vintage radius and fret size. Also I’m a sucker for translucent blonde finishes. Needless to say, this strat paired with the univibe-like tremolo on the Pro gets me that Hendrix/Trower tone pretty spot on!

So finally, I had stopped by my local shop yesterday and took in a few lower end pieces and traded for this ‘73 Silverface Champ. A few weeks ago I did a cap job on this amp for the owner, and it sounded terrific. It’s the perfect amp to kick around the house or take to a friend’s when you just don’t feel like firing the big boys up. It’s completely original (minus the caps), and sounds nice and clean up until about 6 and then gives you the typical small fender amp breakup that won’t make the neighbors mad. I haven’t owned a Silverface amp in quite a while. They don’t have quite the reputation that the Tweed/Brownface/Blackface amps have but this amp is not lacking. Does it compete with the new Pro? Well no, but I wasn’t expecting it to given the size difference, etc... Let’s just say it’s always nice to have options :D

Here’s a group photo below, I haven’t gotten around to taking individual shots of the champ or strat yet.

65C30E8A-0A22-4486-873B-8F30A20D5F5B.jpeg

Telechamp, 63tweed, Wozob and 14 others like this.
  2. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
  3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Awesome looking scores, Congrats!

6124Bassman likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congratulations, nice score(s)!

6124Bassman likes this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Fine ! Good Old Goldies...

A+!

6124Bassman likes this.
  6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Congrats on receiving your Brownface, 6124Bassman, and congrats on finding a fine Strat (it's beautiful), and a Champ. It's nice to have a smaller amp that keeps a smile on the face of the wife, and neighbors. :)

7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    A dream rig! Congrats.

6124Bassman likes this.
  8. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Very very nice, congrats!

6124Bassman likes this.
  9. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Thanks everyone! You guys wouldn’t believe how much I’ve been smiling in the past few days :D

I just got done playing the champ and the pro, switching back and forth between the two. You wouldn’t believe that the champ sounds almost as good as the pro at lower volumes (5 on the champ, 2.5-3 on the pro). The champ will definitely keep the neighbors happy. Luckily my fiancé (wife in December) does not mind me playing loud ;)

LivingMyDream and blueruins like this.
  10. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Thanks! It is definitely a dream rig for me, so when I saw the Brownface Pro I quickly sold my two amps at the time so I could buy this one before it sold! Sold the other two amps at lower costs than I would have it I wasn’t trying to sell fast. No regrets anyways!

11. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Gorgeous. Gorgeous. Gorgeous!

Did I mention it was gorgeous?

6124Bassman likes this.
  12. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    So perfect! One of the most enjoyable amps I’ve played was a Fender Concert of this era. Yours looks in much better shape.
    I’m going to strongly advise you to put the 8” Celestion speaker in that Champ. It took mine from a great practice amp to a great amp.
    Man that’s a fantastic looking group photo!

6124Bassman likes this.
  13. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    There is a shop about 30 minutes from my house that has a '61 Concert that is also a great sounding amp, but it is beat to hell and back. It's funny you mention that this Pro is in good shape, because at one point it was painted completely black (grill cloth, tolex, and all!). The previous owner removed most of the black paint and I finished up the job and removed the rest of the paint. It is still the original grill cloth and tolex, so it means a lot when you say it looks good!

I'll look into an 8" Celestion for the champ, as others have recommended it to me as well.

blueruins likes this.
  14. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    If memory serves the Celestion is under $40. Complete steal and if you don’t love it for everyday use it would be nice just to have as an option at that price. I can’t praise it enough.
    Backyard is looking on point as well :). Love the seafoam on the French doors.
    I’m gonna join Tavo and tick the jelly box.

15. 6124Bassman

6124Bassman Gretschie

May 20, 2018
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well I must admit that the shots of the Pro are in my parents’ backyard. But the seafoam French doors are all mine! :D

For a Celestion at that price point, it’s a definitely worth it to give it a shot. I’ll go ahead and get my hands on one for the Champ.

blueruins likes this.
  16. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Ah, yes. I should have gone back and reread your post. If she doesn't mind you playing loud, I'm guessing December can't come fast enough. :)

6124Bassman likes this.
  17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Congrats, well done!

6124Bassman likes this.
  18. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Cool story and enjoy your purchases.

6124Bassman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice