The Vox VX50 series

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Winterwind, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    I only just stumbled across a link for these the other night. There are three in the series, Bass, Acoustic and Keyboard.

https://www.voxamps.com/VX50Series

Has anyone tried them? When I amp my acoustic it's with one of the Dean Markley pickups that pops into the sound hole but I've never really liked my acoustic through my AC30. The AG model also has an xlr input for a mic too so... thinking it might be good to have.

2. The sound samples didn’t sound all that different from what i hear combing out of most acoustic amps. To me is sounds colored. Like they are adding an additional flavor of what an acoustic should sound like. Some folks like that sound, and its popular. However, I had a hard time getting a acoustic amp that sounded natural. I eventually went with a company called schertler. I don’t know what the new vox sells for, but its probably a bit less than schertler. It’s one of the few amp lines that I didn’t sell a few months after getting it, plus i got a few bigger versions for larger gigs. The pickups used on acoustic are debatable. The eq can be tweaked to get a more natural sound, but once plugged in, they rarely sound like a loud acoustic. Schertler to me comes close, but its still an amplified sound that gets a little processing. Mikes are the best for naturalsound but are a pain to deal with, they keep you frozen in front of them, and if the house sound doesn’t know how to work them your dead in the water.

Regardless, go give them a try, they do seem fairly simple to use, and to me simple is great.

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    If you want an "acoustic amp"---a true contradiction in terms---just use a powered PA bin, or go directly to the board. Powered bins come in myriad power ranges and sizes and all have a flat response.

TSims1 and pmac11 like this.
  4. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Agreed.

I run my acoustics these days into a Trace Elliot Transit A(preamp with goodies). It sounds phenomenal. Then straight to the PA. Easy and terrific tone.

5. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    What Wabash said. Try a Mackie Thump active cab, 12 or 15 inch main driver, but 12 is probably better. Go through a small mixer or something like a Fishman eq/pre box if you wish.

wabash slim likes this.
  6. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    All true but a $230 amp seems more economical and more easily portable than mixers and PAs.

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My keyboard rig is a pair of Mackie TH-15 (Thump) bins and a 10 channel board. The TH-15 is about $300 each, and is capable of being used on it's own. There are many sizes (and prices) of powered bins. It's the most versatile piece sound gear you can get.

8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Fishman Loudbox is basically a mini-PA in a format convenient for an acoustic guitar and mic. They sound decent, loud, have useful effects and are very light.

9. Seamus

Seamus Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2011
    New England
    Back when I was gigging regularly in the Gypsy jazz genre, most of those (acoustic) players had Schertlers or AERs. Both very nice amps, if expensive. They didn't seem to color the sound or do that horrible plasticky-sounding thing so many versions of acoustic pickup and amplification do (at least to my ears), and were plenty loud for gigging without mics on amps. Kind of a toss-up between the two.

I needed cheaper, so I got a scratch-and-dent Ashdown Acoustic Radiator (no longer made). I've had exceptionally good luck with it -- no plasticky tones, great EQ, and very useful notch filter for cutting feedback. Hard to hear much difference between it and a Schertler. If you're looking for inexpensive, you might find one used for a song. That said, I love the look of those Vox amps. But then I'm a sucker for Vox.

10. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    I had a small PA that I played through but always had feedback issues. I picked up the Vox and it sounded great to my ears. No feedback, very light and really simple to use. I am not gigging but for around the house or if I jammed with someone it would be perfect. Somehow I have evolved in to a Vox fan.

11. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    You might want to consider a Fishman Loudbox Mini. Lightwaight chasis about 10 lbs. 60 watts. Very affordable. Excellent acoustic amp. Perfect for practice or small venues. You can run it direct through a PA for larger gigs.
    This weekend I threw my back out picking up my Crate Acoustic 60 watt amp about 50 lbs. Suffering now. The other guitarist in my outfit has the Loud Box Mini. Awesome sound ,safe on the body.

12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
  13. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Waxhead likes this.
  14. Winterwind

Winterwind Gretschie

Dec 17, 2018
    London, Ontario
    Oooh I do like the looks of that.

15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I just wanted to chime in about the PA solution. If you are playing anything bigger than a two-hole outhouse, you need a PA of some sort, so why not just use a channel on the PA itself? The Trace Elliot Transit A is a great way to go if you want footpedal control.

The only acoustic guitar I own is a Godin, Nylon Duet. It has an onboard preamp which can be battery powered or powered by the 48v source on the PA (or recording interface). It’s a perfect solution.

wabash slim likes this.
  16. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes agree if you have PA available.
    Some people just need an acoustic amp though and Rosette is best one I ever seen :)

TSims1 likes this.
  17. chicago slim

chicago slim Gretschie

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    I have had a Vox VXII for some time. It's the 30 watt version, and I don't see much difference between it and the VX50. Both use an 8", 4 ohm speaker. I really liked it for bedroom use. But when I compare it to my Fender Acoustasonic 40 with a Zoom G2 MFX pedal, it falls short.

I think that Vox is trying to compete with the Boss Katana's. I also own a Katana 50, and it is better sounding and more versatile for both electric and acoustic guitars. Many steel guitar players are switching to the Katana 100, in place of Twin Reverbs and Peavey Nashville solid states. But, no XLR input.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  18. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Waxhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice