The Ventures’ songs are so intoxicating

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by radd, Apr 12, 2019.

1. manunk

manunk Electromatic

Man that Creeper tune has everything! 1971, I had just learned barre chords. Buddy Pete played drums and said "You HAVE to learn Wipeout, Walk Don't Run, and some Sandy Nelson tunes. So I did to the best of my ability. Still love my surf. Carry on Los Twang, the Surf Coasters, etc etc

RG7X, MentalTossFlycoon and radd like this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I read that they were inspired by the Chet Atkins version of Walk Don't Run:

3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    And Chet was inspired by Johnny Smith’s version.

4. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Love me some Ventures

5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The Shadows and The Ventures were the main reasons that I wanted to play guitar.

MentalTossFlycoon likes this.
  6. LarryL

LarryL Electromatic

Mar 1, 2011
    Oklahoma
    tismith, we are the same age with similar background on guitar...funny story about Walk, Dont Run...my guitar teacher taught me that song as an ear study, no tab, no music...i went home and practiced it hard all week...returned, played it for him, and I had it all backwards...i then went out and bought the album and of course he straightened me out on it...after that i bought every Ventures record i could find...one of my favorite songs was "Yellow Jacket"...i played drop the needle on their records and learned many of them that way..this was also in 1963..their music was appealing to many guitarist because it sounded great and was relatively easy to learn. thats 2 criterea i still look for...sounds good and easy to play...hopefully my definition of "easy" has progressed over the 56 years of playing...haha

manunk likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice