The Ultimate 6120

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mbkri, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    BS Smoke gets my vote

upload_2020-1-12_12-54-10.png

nickurso, Merc, Echocat23 and 6 others like this.
  2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I can certainly see why. All the right specs on a modern build.

You've got a sweetheart there.

Parttime and mbkri like this.
  3. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Same here. Close second is my tone post hot rod, but the neck on the smoke is really something else. I’m in the middle of modding mine out now -- next up is push/pull pots for the individual volume controls to take them out of the circuit hot rod style.

4. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    With the Ray Butts filters. Havent heard them yet. And trestle bracing i presume? Hmmmm. Maybe the best Brian Setzer model yet.

Parttime likes this.
  5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    RB's and trestles........"That Great Gretsch Sound". Doesn't get any better IMO.

mbkri, Lockupyourfatdog and Parttime like this.
  6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I love 6120's,it's my fav Gretsch ,i have 4 at the moment,2 vintage ,a 1957 and a 65/66,and 2 Japanese ,a DSW and a 59LTV.

My dream 6120 has always been an original 1955 6120,i'd even take an early to mid 56 cause they still had all the western stuff.

But there's no way i could afford to splash that amount of cash on a vintage guitar these days,i'd have to sell a lot to get there ,and i'm just not prepared to do that,20 years ago,maybe,but not today.

A 55 VS would be lovely,or a nice 55 6120 Custom Shop ,the Custom Shop Eddie Cochran model would also be cool,but Custom Shop stuff is up there in price too!

7. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    So I’m with you @JC higgy . The 55/56 with western styling would be the dream IF it was a player in good shape.....but not affordable really, nor likely to come up.
    The 55VS is a contender though.
    The SSU Smoke gets just about everyone’s approval (no western styling and I don’t care for the dice or signed trussrod cover).
    I did enjoy the RHH I tried last summer.
    Or there’s the custom shop route.western bling, trestle bracing, TVJs or Ray Butts, Sperzel locking tuners.
    I guess it’s no secret......this isn’t an entirely theoretical question. I’m thinking of starting 2020 with a major purchase.

JC higgy, j.s.c, G5422T and 1 other person like this.
  8. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I think I’m going to get me a 55 Vintage Select.
    I just don’t think there’s a ‘this is THE one’ out there. Seems like one thing I’m missing out on is the trestle bracing, but I like the 2.75” body depth and the western styling. The Rev is probably my other best option but I do love dynasonics. Aaaargh. What’s the worst that can happen? I’m needlessly suffering FOMA big time. (Fear of missing out).
    55 Vintage Select. I think I’ve decided.

9. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
  10. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    5.30 in the morning. Hardly slept. Somethings not right.
    Im not ready.
    Changed my mind. Again. The 55 is too similar to my DS. I love the DS which is why i love the 55.
    I need to hear those Ray Butts in the Smoke and play an RHH again.
    And i need to go back to bed.

T Bone likes this.
  11. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    They’re *really* good pickups. And I hear you on the Dynasonics, I have some T-Armonds in a Jet. But after trying most of the TV Jones line, I’ve got to say the Ray Butts are hands down my favorites. They make the others sound compressed.

As for the dice and truss rod cover, it comes with the normal control knobs in the case and a new cover is maybe $4.

Edit: After re-reading this I’ve realized how GAS becomes contagious.

G5422T and mbkri like this.
  12. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Theres a 6120 on the brown truck and out for delivery today.

13. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    6120T-1959LTV-QM:
    6120-1959LTV-QM 018.JPG 6120-1959LTV-QM 040.JPG

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Penguin, new6659, JC higgy and 5 others like this.
  14. RoyClark

RoyClark Electromatic

Apr 13, 2019
    Staffordshire UK
    mine is a 6120 Eddie Cochran.

Gretsch 6120 EC.jpg

15. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I love the look of the EC model but i have Dynasonics on another 6120 and p90s on my Gibson so i have decided on something without single coils. ...... but i bet its fabulous to have p90s and dynas blended in that middle position.

16. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    audept likes this.
  17. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I’ve played a few 60’s era 6120’s and while nice guitars were less than I had imagined, or expected. I’d prefer a new build 6120 and would probably lean towards a Setzer HR.

new6659 and mbkri like this.
  18. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    My favourite has to be my 6120-DCH-LTD - I love this thing! TV Jones Ray Butts, Trestle Bracing, Rocking Bar Bridge, Paddle style Bigsby Handle and an Aluminium nut - Pretty much the specs I would have If I were to get the custom shop to build me one! So far, this is the most comfortable Gretsch I've played and I love how it sounds. Definitely glad I bought this one, even if I broke my own rules and bought brand new...

[​IMG]

moltenmagna, audept, JC higgy and 4 others like this.
  19. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

That is awesome! A beauty (and I really want to try a pair of those Ray Butts pickups).

Excited! Anxiously waiting for the reveal, I hope this one turns out to be your ultimate 6120.

mbkri likes this.
  20. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Gretschie

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Absolutely, the Ray Butts are awesome! The only thing I would chance if I were building my own is I would add the Gotoh locking tuners, swap the wiring for the tone pot and maybe a colour change... But I do like this red

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice