The TV CASTER!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Stefan, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I‘m really really happy with the tone. The combination of light (trebly) woods, fat neck, (warm) semihollow-like chambering and the 50’s-type pickups generates a lively vintage Tellytone with a touch of archtop „woodiness“ on top. A lil’ bit Gretschy- Telecaster meets Dyna-Jet, so to say. Meanwhile I‘ve played the guitar a lot with different amp settings and I‘m truly in love. I couldn’t ask for more and again-
    I highly recommend the work of David Barfuss- a good guy and he knows Pickups!

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  2. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    What a disappointment:

• Bought the „Lifton reissue case“ above;
    • Shop says „Made in canada“;
    • Shop says „Made by TKL“;
    • TKL says „ all our cases are nitro-safe“
    Super! Case arrived and the TVcaster fits perfectly. But wait...there‘s a stinging smell. Hmmm, 2nd look, there‘s a small tag:

8A744AE4-79A4-4465-9B84-BFBB0636C9A2.jpeg
    Without words!

3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    That sucks on the case. Is it TKL branded anywhere in the case? Never seen one of their hardcases that wasn't made in Canada, gig bags/softshell cases yes, but not hardshell...

Stefan likes this.
  4. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Concerning the case: It is an obvious fraud to advertise it as Canada-made.
    Faber is the main import company for Chinese made Tokais. They relable them for sale in Europe.
    So it would be logical to me when they manufacture their cases in China as well.
    I doubt that the chemical fumes will not react with the laquer. At least I would not take the risk.
    Return it on their cost without hesitating.
    You can get cheap Chinese cases similar to that one for half the price. (I once bought a Strat-case for as low as EUR 29,- brand new.) But you would not buy them if you are seeking quality.

Stefan likes this.
  5. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    that guitar is so sexy... yes, there is tele love.

Stefan likes this.
  6. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    That case is everything but made by TKL...

7. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    9B978290-C6B4-453B-A77C-568CFE01D9A1.jpeg
    Put on the new bracket. Replaced the original screw with a fat slotted screw, I like the industrial style a lot more.

0757D431-7B46-48B9-8CB4-33CD9B2AB146.jpeg

And I‘d like to stay with the chet arm but I don‘t seem to find a case...The bigsby bracket is 42 mms high (7/8 spring+washer), the guitar body is also 42 mms thick. So I need a case that‘s roughly 85 mms deep: Help me :eek:

new6659 likes this.
  8. johsonrod

johsonrod Country Gent

Apr 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Why don’t you just get a Mono M80 case or something similar? Is a hardshell really necessary?

9. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Gigbag is last option :confused:

10. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Gretschie

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Just WOW! I want one!!! Amazing really amazing, I love everything about it...would a sound clip be asking too much (haven't read the whole thread, maybe one exists already!)?

11. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    I simply prefer the classic look and to me a vintage style guitar should rest in a matching case.

12. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Check my quote above and thanks. I‘m happy to built you another one, it‘s only 8k :p

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  13. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Wow that's light! Any neck dive?

14. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Ok, time to send the kid to do some field labor :eek: At least I can dream about it!:)

15. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Not a bit, the B16 is about 300 gramms and keeps the guitar perfectly balanced.

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  16. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I know what you mean. But! I recently had my tele wired in the old Broadcaster method and now I always seem to play in the 1st position with the blend knob set somewhere between the bridge and the neck pickup, rolling up to 100% bridge only for solos. However, I think this wiring set up may work best with a hotter bridge pickup that is on the dark side, lest things get too bright, having no tone knob and all.

17. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    That B16 is one of the coolest bridge/vibrato contraptions ever devised by mankind too...just lovely.

Also how did you get away from a shim? Did you carve the neck pocket to give more neck angle?

18. RocknRollShakeUp

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    I agree the aesthetic impact of this guitar is stunning. She's a stunner.

I have to say that if I ever get a guitar with a maple neck, it will be roasted maple I think. I usually like dark fretboards, but that roasted maple is very pleasing to the eye, not to mention the more practical benefits.

19. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Thanks for your kind words!
    This project took nearly two years and is made with blood, sweat and tears :rolleyes:, but it was worth it! I agree, the B16 is a piece of art and unbelievable kool but on the other hand it‘s a beast when it comes to assembling...

But to answer your question:
    The neck pocket is angled in a similar degree like the original Bigsby shim, so no need for the latter! Maybe it‘s voodoo but I believe there‘s nuthin‘ better than a direct wood-to-wood contact (combined with a perfect routed neck pocket, a thick neckplate and strong screws). It’s the birthplace of the sustain!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019 at 1:17 PM
    RocknRollShakeUp and new6659 like this.