The Spinal Tap Thread

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, May 25, 2019.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Siskel & Ebert's original review of the movie:

Watch the guys on the Simpsons:

And talking about their drummers:

Hammerhead, TeeDub and pmac11 like this.
  2. TeeDub

TeeDub Synchromatic

Jun 21, 2011
    Colorado
    My son's first concert was Spinal Tap - he was 11 I think. Non stop hilarity right from the beginning where the band all flew in on wires and of course Nigel got stuck in the air.
    It was amazing to watch Tap pull off gag after gag in a concert setting while not missing a beat musically. Fantastic show!

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I think many of us had their Spinal Tap moments on stage...
    Extremely embarrassing when it happened, extremely funny in hindsight.

There is a TV comedian over here who happens to be a general practitioner by profession.
    He had a good saying: "Always think what could be funny in your situation if it would happen to someone else."

CaliforniaSlim and drmilktruck like this.
  4. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Charles Schulz, of Peanuts fame, said that, while the strip is actually quite dark, as long as it's happening to someone else, it's funny. The old saw "Comedy = Tragedy + Time" applies as well.

loudnlousy likes this.
  5. Beardog

Beardog Synchromatic

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    One of my favorites!

6. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  7. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I had just started dating this girl I had a crush on for the longest time and took her to Spinal Tap...she hated it.
    A few weeks later I took her up to Birmingham because she wanted to see Huey Lewis in concert. After 4 songs she wanted to go home.
    I broke up with her a few days later and told her it wasn't her, it was me ( but it was really her not liking Spinal Tap..the idiot didn't get that it was a parody, kept saying 'I've never even heard of these guys')

new6659 and drmilktruck like this.
  8. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    This thread would sound better in Dobly.

speedicut, Dave-B, reverb11 and 3 others like this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    For a parody, ST had some great tunes. The only other good parody band I can think of is The Rutles.

10. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    D minor... the saddest key. Lol.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

11. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    The Edge seems to be a big fan of Spinal Tap for the humor - both the dark (see It Might Get Loud) and the lighter side. I’m still trying to find the YouTube video where he’s showing his guitar collection and tells the interviewer not to look at one of them.

And Rod Stewart hints in his autobiography that Jeff Beck has more than a haircut in common with Nigel Tufnel.

Philtertronic likes this.
  12. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    There’s a Spinal Tap watch-along episode of the Guitar Nerds Patreon podcast I’ve been putting off listening to.

13. I saw them in the late 90’s in NYC. One of the top ten shows i have seen for sure. They were tight, the place was packed, and they pulled it off in front of a live audience at the beacon. They had fed ex deliver a mini stone henge during the song. Paul Shaffer introduced them in the beginning. Hard to explain to my kids that they were a made up band that i saw live. The only equal to this would be to have seen the monkees play live, but they wouldn’t have been as tight.

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    A lot of actors seem to be excellent musicians, and I would say that would apply to the Spinal Tap guys. The music is, obviously, over the top parody and purposely about as tasteless as is mathematically possible. But it’s executed quite well and betrays that these guys know their stuff. Christopher Guest’s A Mighty Wind showcases the whole ensemble, this time as several groups of folkies, all of whom are at least as clueless as Spinal Tap, but they also perform these parody songs with exceptional skill. Not the least of it is the writing, which is top drawer.

Steve Martin is an excellent Clawhammer Banjo player; one of the best I’ve ever heard. His first album with Edie Brickell is astounding, especially Love Has Come For You. He used the banjo as part of the act in his early days as as a stand up comic, but seemed to realize that he could finance his life much more effectively as an actor.

pmac11 and drmilktruck like this.
  15. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Big fan of Joe, Mark, Jay and Matt myself. I'll have to look for that one.

16. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
  17. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    One of Steve Martin's best friends is John McEuen from the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. They have matching hand made banjos. I got to work a Steve Martin show on his first US Tour. He's always used the banjo in his humor (You can't write a sad song on a banjo).

The Spinal Tap dead drummers thing comes from the Grateful Dead's keyboard players demises. Their Stonehenge set was likely a response to some of Pink Floyd's massive sets like the Wall.

18. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Love The Rutles!
    Another good one is a rap/hip hop parody called Fear Of A Black Hat that follows the slow downfall of Ice Cold, Tasty-Taste, and Tone Def

19. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Other "parody" groups to consider might be Hayseed Dixie, 2 Live Jews (Yiddish rappers), and the Electric Amish.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice