Join Gretsch-Talk Today

The Shadows - The High and The Mighty Cover

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by MrAstro, Aug 10, 2017.

1. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW

Playing a Strat on this one because that's what Hank Marvin played for this particular tune.

Normally I like thumbpicking a Chet Atkins or Jerry Reed number but since variety is the spice of life I thought I'd play an instrumental from the other side of the Atlantic this time and with a flatpick no less - I almost forgot how! haha :) Hope you enjoy it!

The rest of this blurb is technical stuff for those that are interested:

The High and Mighty was released by the Shadows in 1964 on the Album "Dance with the Shadows". It was written by Dimitri Tiomkin and was the sound track to the film "The High and the Mighty (1954)" Starring John Wayne.

On this cover I am using a Fender Deluxe Stratocaster. A Maton EM325C Acoustic, and a modified Squier J Bass with DIMarzio pickups. I am using a Vox AC30 emulation and a Fender DRRI emulation panned hard left and right respectively for the stratocaster. I have also programmed a multi-tap delay in Logic pro to emulate the vintage delay specifications and echo rate of the Meazzi Echomatic 2 and I have applied a tape echo emulation over the top of that to simulate Wow, Flutter and tape distortion (clipping).

2. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    If it was recorded in '64, he was probably playing a Burns on it, but hey, we're just splitting hairs. Nice job.

MrAstro likes this.
  3. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    I think you are probably right it was recorded in Feb 64.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. somebodyelseuk

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Well, if they'd had a guitar tech who knew how to set the trems up, they'd have still been using Fenders.
    Like I say, it's just splitting hairs, isn't it? Sorry, my Dad's a Shadows nut and I got brought up on it, first tune he taught me was Apache. When I got my home recording setup... er... set up, a few years back, we did a few tunes together - a bit rough, but I'd like to redo them at some point. Not my usual 'style' but I really enjoyed... the differentness.

MrAstro likes this.
  6. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    You know in all the years I've owned a strat I've never really used the whammy bar in anger. So this was a first for me. Probably should have practiced it a bit more. Hopefully I faked it 'till I make'd it :)

The other funny insight I had doing this tune is Bruce Welch had a harder job than Hank Marvin imo :) I think I worked out the lead solo in about an hour but Bruce Welch's bit was a little harder to remember and more random.

I'm not a hardcore Shadows fan but I've always enjoyed their music. A friend of mine on Facebook sent me a video of it and it gave me an ear worm :)

I also enjoyed researching the echo units for this tune. Fascinating.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Roger49 likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Great job MrAstro , enjoyed the video too . Thanks for sharing

MrAstro likes this.
  8. somebodyelseuk

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Bruce Welsh is a seriously under-rated rhythm guitarist. When I first started playing, I was interested in getting to grips with all the parts - the melody, because it was generally easy and it taught me a lot about scales, the rhythm, because it allowed me to jam with my Dad, and more importantly, the music I was into required the ability to play a rhythm guitar. The bass... well, it wasn't the usual root note plodding that was around in the late 70s. The rhythm guitar parts of any Shadows tune are by far the hardest parts to get to grips with.
    I'm a punk at heart who grew through folk-rock, classic rock and country music. I love all sorts, but I learned a great deal about how to make it all fit together from the Shadows.
    I'm a guitarist, primarily, but it's probably more accurate to call me a sound engineer who plays guitar and a bit of bass.

JC higgy and MrAstro like this.
  9. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

You are quite talented MrAstro. I really like the music of the Shadows, and have Apache on my list of songs I want to learn. Thanks for posting that "The High and Mighty" video. I enjoyed watching it with my granchildren. :)

MrAstro likes this.
  10. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    Thanks mate! I hope the kids enjoyed it - I remember the shadows when I was a kid - the ads for them in Australia had kids jumping around in the bedroom playing cricket bats as guitars doing all the shadows dance moves :) I must see if that ad is on youtube for you!

Found it - wow - this virtually inspired me to play guitar!!! Excuse the Aussie accent lol :)

11. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Cool! It was fun seeing an Aussie ad. I got the chance to briefly explain the difference between baseball and cricket (with the little that I know about cricket). I told my grandaughter that they were playing the song I wanted to learn and she said, "Apache?" I was surprised that she remembered the name of the song.

MrAstro likes this.
  12. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    When I was starting out it seemed as if it was mandatory to learn "Apache" and "House of the Rising Sun".

Ha, found a really crappy recording I did about ten years ago. No idea why I saved it.
    https://soundcloud.com/emanthehorse/apache

LivingMyDream and Sonny Strimple like this.
  13. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    englishman likes this.
  14. englishman

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    My elite drumming skills are for sure on display there :rolleyes:
    Recorded it with my 79 Gibson.

MrAstro likes this.
  15. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Very nicely done MrAstro.

I think it is generally accepted that "The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt" was the first Shadows song recorded with the Burns guitars so since that song wasn't released until May 1964 I think it's quite possible that "The High And The Mighty" was recorded with "the" Strat.
    Just splitting hairs again but- still well played and, yes Bruce did have the more difficult of the parts to play which happened more often than many would believe!

MrAstro likes this.
  16. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    UK supermarket chain Morrisons came up with this TV advertisment based on Apache with schoolboys all pretending to be Hank Marvin using the cockney rhyming slang of "You must be Hank Marvin?" meaning starving.
    Complete with the choreographed "Shadows" walk which I was never able to do while playing guitar at the same time LOL!
    And the dog at the end is just sublime.
    Apologies for the deviation from the OP.

17. englishman

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    That was great, never saw it before.

"Yeah, I need 150 red Strats for an advert...."

MrAstro and Roger49 like this.
  18. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Sounds great as usual MrAstro, you managed that pick well :)
    Thanks!

MrAstro likes this.
  19. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Lovely piece again sir ,i particularly enjoyed the rhythm too,Bruce is one of the greatest rhythm players.

MrAstro likes this.
  20. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    Haha that is brilliant!!!