The Rat Rod is here!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by 5120mantis, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Sorry about the job, gives you more time to play the Rat Rod between job searches though.
    Nice demo also.

rockymtnguitar, 5120mantis and Merc like this.
  2. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
  3. SAguitar

SAguitar Electromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    Beautiful Rat Rod! Good luck on your job search, may it be short and fruitful.

Merc and 5120mantis like this.
  4. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Stunning guitar, dripping with cool! Congrats, and enjoy. Hope the jobs front is remedied easily.

5120mantis and Merc like this.
  5. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Very cool man. Congrats!

5120mantis likes this.
  6. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    I'm going to bring this to help one of my bands fine tune their set for their next show i'm curious to hear these pickups at stage volumes.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    T Bone likes this.
  7. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Well i got say at a higher volume the blacktops were pretty nice i'm still considering swapping them, i did notice that they're quick connect and that would mean needing a new harness also...so im undecided on the swap 20200308_140548.jpg

Ballnchain, DennisC and Merc like this.
  8. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Whether or not you dig them tonally is up to you, but where I do NOT like the look of them on my white one.........they REALLY work visually on your guitar. You did a great job customizing.

Merc likes this.
  9. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Thanks, eager to see yours when your mods are finished, the red/black works well together, with the white, i see where it might not work for everyone.

TSims1 likes this.
  10. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Yeah, still waiting on a just a few final bits. Hopefully by the end of the week she'll be all put together.....

5120mantis likes this.
  11. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Great mods and good to her your loving it.
    Nice Orange, wouldn't mind trying out a rockverb or a rocker.

5120mantis likes this.
  12. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    These Rat Rods have got me reassessing my future Gretsch guitar buys. Being able to personalize is something I find very attractive and these just seem ideal for modding. A white one just went on my list (and the Setzer "smoke" has at least temporarily been removed).

Merc, Stefan87 and 5120mantis like this.
  13. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    I've practiced at that studio for a long time, and the owner/staff try to reserve the rockerverb 50 for me as much as possible, i LOVE that thing, and that studio!

Stefan87 likes this.
  14. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Blacktops are great pickups!

The connectors ... I failed in finding out who makes these, and as I had planned to convert all my instruments with quick connectors - 2...5 pole, depends ... I bought a box of 2, 3, 4, 5 pole conncetors, male and female, and got my former BIL on board so we use the same and then can exchange pickups between us two and don't need to change anything about them - just off and in, done.

If I wouldn't have only one hollowbody Gretsch, I might have kept my Blacktops, but as I only have one, and won't be able to buy another one that soon (maybe later this year, maybe next, who knows...), I had to install the Magnatrons. Which are fantastic pickups - a lot of single coil pickups sound darker, muddier, less focussed than those pieces of art and reason ... I, kinda, love them!

I could look up which they were, got them from amazon. But I haven't installed any yet, they arrived after swapping the pickups.

The dice knobs look right on those, even more than on the Setzer Hot Rod models, and if any hollowbody Gretsch is meant to have some pictures of Lily on'em, it's those ones! She looks cool!

5120mantis likes this.
  15. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Thanks, at home at lower volume i wasnt feeling the black tops i really love the guitar though plays great!

DennisC likes this.
  16. Ballnchain

Ballnchain Newbie

Apr 3, 2020
    Phoenix
    Is that a Black Kat customs sticker? Great stuff!

17. Ballnchain

Ballnchain Newbie

Apr 3, 2020
    Phoenix
    Hi all, new here and got the white Rat Rod about a month ago. My first hollow body and I love it. Did a couple small mods. See the pics. Hope all are well!
    88472931-B0F9-429C-BE64-E33278EC6119.jpeg 1B0E9C13-875C-407B-A88B-5A0E14958C89.jpeg 0E8F3DA9-C740-4AF7-AE0D-0CFE82E6D089.jpeg

mrcoffee23 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice