The new Setzer Hotrod at NAMM in the hands of Anthony Bambino

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by TV the Wired Turtle, Jan 22, 2020.

1. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    This NAMM show I Got to hang out w a friend & killer gretsch player from the east coast; Anthony Bambino. In the Gretsch room at NAMM he kept gravitating toward this magenta hotrod, and now I want one too. The thinner body w the setzer signature pickups is sweet even just straight to a 64 reissue Deluxe. take a watchsee here >

phil66, Echocat23, Trash Kidd and 7 others like this.
  2. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    actually sounds more jazzy than rockabilly, but great playing and beautiful guitar m

3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ve dug the Magenta from the start. I think the colors going to grow on people. But there will always be the haters camp for sure.

Zeek, larryb and RG7X like this.
  4. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    They're very versatile guitars and cover a lot of styles really well. After all, he was playing in the neck position on a pretty nice sounding clean amp.

southpaw185 and Merc like this.
  5. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Fantastic color......Setzer models rule.

6. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Me and you both!:cool:;)

7. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Its sleepwalk :) It was a 50's instro ballad from the 50's therefore qualifies in the neo rockabilly world. Setzer made it famous again. That is certainly a much more scooped mids sounding
    amp than a blonde bassman, not to mention the absence of the space echo preamp pushing the filtertrons. ...just dotting the I's and crossing the T's here, are you sure your levi's are cuffed the proper four inches and your pomade is royal crown? :) :)

Trash Kidd, 5120mantis and Merc like this.
  8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Nice :)

upload_2020-1-23_1-44-40.png

Does anyone know if he's using the latest '64 hand-wired Fender Princeton Reverb ($2,499 [ouch!]), or the '65 reissue ($999)?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  9. Zeek

Zeek Synchromatic

May 29, 2016
    Illinos USA
    One of the most beautiful ballads ever, IMO

I also, Beautiful.

Kool video Tavo

TV the Wired Turtle and Merc like this.
  10. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Nice video!

I didn't know the new HRs had rosewood fret boards..

11. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    Really nice playing

12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Great playing. Thank you for sharing.
    But the colour reminds me too much of that cruel 80ies neon coloured shredder axes to dig it.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  13. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Its got a pearl in the candy finish, and yes the vibe is 80s. There were soooo many headless guitars and pointy guitars at NAMM this year and
    guess who had them all in hand? Millennials, everybody else is old ballz now and Gretsch knows it. :) I'm gonna guess Setzer didnt choose this
    color, as his is Tahaitian Red not magenta :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I saw a YouTube clip with him playing the Magenta during the Stray Cats tour. So I’m guessing it’s all Brian. I remember that old Tahitian Red photo. For some reason My mind thinks he was wearing something from Gene Vincent in it. It may have been Gene’s belt.

15. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Thanks for sharing. Your friend does some really tasteful pickin'.

Shows all of us one thing. Play more, might be surprised at what happens on any color Gretsch! Lol

TV the Wired Turtle and Merc like this.
  16. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    get a good look... that guitar is magenta metal flake bitchen( and yes diff than the tahait one he used at Viva Las Vegas! The gretsch consumer model is just magenta candy sadly BUT.. the fretwork is stellar, or at least the one at NAMM show was done better than anything else we've seen!

5120mantis and Merc like this.
  17. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    It was clearly marked 64', and $2500 is a great price for a handwired amp. that one was beautiful sounding.. a real real amp. Doesnt mean its affordable but ya.. :)

ZackyDog likes this.
  18. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It does appear to have more flake to it. Sort of like the first generation of antifreeze Hot Rod compared to his stage one. Flake likely costs more so they go with the straight Candy. It’s still sweet non the less.

Echocat23 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice