The NEW DeArmond Dynasonics *NPD*

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by BorderRadio, Sep 11, 2019.

1. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    The Chinese are selling these direct for $64.95 on line. They appear the same. One wonders if they come from the same plant or not?
    https://www.mrotin.com/sale/single-coil-neck-guitar-gold-electric-gretsch-dynasonic-pickup

2. Markkkky

Markkkky Electromatic

Aug 26, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Very cool. Any idea on cost?

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I highly doubt they are the same pickup. First, the site used stock photos, who knows what you end up getting from this fishy website. The photo shows a milled cover, not a stamped one, and the black bobbin has the tooling marks that are characteristic of a modern Gretsch Dynasonic. The DA 2000s and these new DAs both seem to have injection molded bobbins--the tops show warping, unlike T-A, vintage, or G-Dyna. If they are in fact dead on copies of modern Gretsch Dynas, then the backside will have the tall magnet slugs and the brass/steel screw elevator mechanism. Funny enough, they don't provide any further pics or information. Also, the new DA Dynas are MIK, not MIC.

Listed on fleabay at $89.99 per pickup.

Groutsch and swivel like this.
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, verdict is in for me.

These are every bit as good as the modern MIA DeArmond 2000s. I actually think they improved those pickups because the bridge is a little hotter, not over the top, but just enough. Bright, but nothing I might call shrill, but note I like Jazzmaster pickups with 1meg pots :)

The bass response is not extreme like a neck mounted Gretsch Dyna, it’s more balanced. Actually, there is very little difference between my T-A neck pickup and these new DeArmonds. I’m so happy with it, guess what I’m selling now? Yeah, T-A is up for sale.

The bridge is my kind of sound, meaning wiry and twangy. A little bit of mids apparent, but I set the pickup super close, like Telecaster bridge pickup close, and dropped the slugs into the bobbin. Next string change I think I’ll remove a spacer so I can bring the poles out a little, as I’ve done on the neck pickup.

The bassy meat of the Gretsch Dyna is reduced—low cholesterol, but the highs are there, maybe not so edgy, more calm like the T-A. I miss the microphonics of a vintage pickup, but on the up side, I could not get these pickups to squeal, even with stacked fuzzes. I’m comparing to numerous sets of T-As I’ve played and own, the two DA 2000s guitars I owned, my vintage DeArmond 2000T, and those vintage Martin DeArmonds I got to test out.

If I find some time, maybe I’ll get something on SoundCloud, but until then you’ll have to take my word for it :)

calebaaron666, swivel and CousinWarsh like this.
  5. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    this just may settle it for me? If I can find them affordably...

6. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Looks like a winner... but can only be used where original D-Armonds have been mounted, right? Not readily useable in other mount configurations?

Tone-wise, essentially very close to T-Armonds, but at a much lower price?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, only where DeArmond 2000 types were originally installed, in new builds, or archtops with about 1 inch+ of bridge height/string clearance, with DIY adapter plates. Installation and basic ballpark height adjustment is a labor of love.

Tone wise, the neck pickups are very similar. The bridge pickups differ, T-A bridge pickups are more middy/dark to me, while the new bridge pickup has more twang with just enough beef to my ears, but it’s all subtle. The price/tone factor makes them winners for fans of this type, IMHO.

The magnets are shorter than what’s in a T-A, and the ol’ ‘raise the poles’ trick won’t work in the extreme with these pickups, since there is only so much you can raise the poles and still keep them within the coil. This is how I have mine set now, much like how my gold sparkle G5128T was set up.

C0343FE6-103A-4DF1-82A1-734325C907E7.jpeg

Ricochet, Chmason85 and DHart like this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    What does your instinct tell you?
    Mine tells me, counterfeit, Ali Baba rip off, chibson crap.
    How about the pair of "15 powered pa cabs with stands and cords for 69 bux?:D

10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    [QUOTE="TV the Wired Turtle, post: 1203179, member: 1594"(dont yell at me for cross posting, Doc Milktruck does it all the time)[/QUOTE]

I used to cross post a lot but now I don’t say much on the other Gretsch site. Gretsch Talk is a much friendlier and active forum these days than the GDP.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have lived in SEA for the last 8 years. A no name PA set for 69 bucks does not totally sound beyond the realms of possibilities...:)

The best argument I can think of is that most VMs seem to be made in Indonesia.

12. Geordie99

Geordie99 Electromatic

Feb 22, 2017
    Canada
    Hey Everyone,

Just found where you can buy these new DeArmond Dynasonics, if you are looking for them. I know that the Ebay store has been the only place that anyone has found so far, but I just contacted Cordoba Music, and was directed to the Guild Website. There, I found this:

https://shop.guildguitars.com/product-category/parts/pickups-parts/page/2/?v=3e8d115eb4b3

This is brilliant news for those of you in the USA who are looking for them, but again, we Canadians have to bend over and take it.........no shipping to Canada from here. I will try to hunt down a Canadian Guild Dealer, and see if I can get availability and pricing through them, but in this day and age, how sad that our neighbouring countries can't, or won't, freely trade between each other............free trade agreement indeed............lol

Mild rant aside, I just wanted to share this source with my brethren to the South, and hope that it is useful to some of you. What a great price for these!! Pics below are of the ones that I need, but they do come in other colours - Nickel/black, Nickel/White, and Gold/Black.

Cheers,

Steve

dearmonddyna.jpg

dyna2.jpg Dyna3.jpg

Merc and BorderRadio like this.
  13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for the heads up @Geordie99, I was scanning the site a few days ago for these pickups.

CMB copy:

cordobaCopy.JPG

Not a faithful reproduction of the original design, but nice try! :)

Don't really see these as hotter than some vintage examples, but of course it depends on what's being compared.

More than happy with my set, they're not going anywhere..

Geordie99 likes this.
  14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I used to cross post a lot but now I don’t say much on the other Gretsch site. Gretsch Talk is a much friendlier and active forum these days than the GDP.[/QUOTE]
    I concur :)

15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Wellllll.... I am glad you are diggin em. I totally hate Gretsch's stock Dynasonic pickups ( I use custom T-armonds as they sound like 60 yr old vintage DeArmonds), and these cordoba pickups so econo w their magnets and metals.
    yet..They must sound good. I spent a lot of money on custom Florance jag pickups to replace my Dipinto Galaxy IV stock pickups, but the stock ones sound best on a Dipinto. Sooooo cheepie but so right, wouldnt want that high end vintage fender jag thing in this Los Straitjacket's model Dipinto. I get what you are saying.

larryb, BorderRadio and Chmason85 like this.
  16. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    My FIRST thought is that the truly smart move for these D'Armond-style pickup makers would be to offer them, at the very least, in a format with a MUCH larger user-base market: Filter'Tron form factor, or Mini-Humbucker form factor, or even, good Lord, PAF humbuckers form factor?

WOOOOW! Someone very smart would definitely go down this road... like, someone with the initials TVJ? (Yes, at a price!)

What percentage of total guitar players, or perhaps just what percentage of only Gretsch guitar owners have an instrument with the ability to readily accept a classic-format DeArmond pickup... and are actually interested in BUYING new ones to replace the originals that they have?

I don't know, perhaps the very tiny market for these is all that the makers aspire to. And if they are content with that... I am no-one to suggest otherwise.

It seems that the classic format form-factor of these pickups is a HUGE stumbling block to larger commercial success? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I used to cross post a lot but now I don’t say much on the other Gretsch site. Gretsch Talk is a much friendlier and active forum these days than the GDP.[/QUOTE]
    yes

18. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    That's cool re: your 90s pickups; they look like they are vintage spec ohms.

I'm not sure about the shell measurements on the newest ones but, BorderRadio said:

19. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    Well, Gabojo Lab and Mojo UK both offer Dynasonics in a regular HB and a P90 form factor, and I think you can also order HB-sized ones from the Seymour Duncan custom shop. TV Jones offers T-Armonds that can fit regular HB routes.
    So, these are out there, just not as inexpensive as regular HBs...

BorderRadio likes this.
  20. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Yes. As I mentioned TVJ, I know of them, and acknowledged the $$$ difference.

I haven't heard great things about Duncan's version, but perhaps it's a good one? What do you think?

Have never heard of Gabojo or Mojo UK... are they considered excellent sounding replicas?

It seems the primary claim to fame for this version is the wonderful pricing. Are the versions you mentioned priced as nicely? Available in the US?

I'm very new to D-Armond type pickups, so perhaps my comment about wishing that this supplier offered form factor options more useful to those who don't have D'Armond-ready guitars (or aren't readily prepared for adapting a guitar to the format) is completely off-base.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice