Join Gretsch-Talk Today

The Moody Blues in Toronto

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Gretschtim1, Dec 6, 2017 at 10:01 AM.

1. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Just saw The Moody Blues show they did this year in Toronto doing their 50 year celebration of the album Days Of Future Past.
    They used a full orchestra and they performed the whole album.
    What a great show it was.
    I've seen the Moodies & Justin Hayward live a bunch of times going back to 1978 and they always sound great.
    They are such underrated players.
    Justin is a fabulous guitar player and John Lodge is an awesome bass player.
    It's a crime they never are mentioned in Guitar Player magazine or other guitar/bass magazines.
    They've played some really good guitar/bass work over they past 50 years.
    They are broadcasting the show in the US on PBS.

benjwri, ZackyDog and Telechamp like this.
  2. gimmodog

gimmodog Electromatic

Nov 1, 2017
    Kentucky
    would love to see this --do you possibly know when?

3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Friend of Fred

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    My first concert was the Moody Blues in 1977, on the Octave tour.

It opened with this one:

4. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Just saw it this past weekend.
    PBS usually show these kinds of shows in repeats for a month or so.
    I would just keep an eye out and check your local PBS channel listings - it's likely to be played again.

5. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    I agree, they are very deserving of recognition for some great playing. I've loved them from the time they first hit the charts. Saw them live once in Baton Rouge in the early 80s, and loved it.

6. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Justin Hayward is just plain underrated. Fantastic player, song writer and singer in my mind. I can't get over how tall he seems when I see him on stage.

7. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    Sometimes the Moodies are dull. I miss Ray and Mike. Without them it's the Blue Jays plus Graham who barely drums.Yet their 2001 show at the Tabernacle in Atlanta was my favorite concert experience. Everything clicked. It was a transcendent. Everyone transcended something. The funny part was the old hippie smoking a joint by the bar. Can his heart take the tachycardia? Should I warn him?

8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Friend of Fred

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I love the Moodies, although not as much now as when I was a teen. A lot of the songs haven’t aged well, especially the “deep,” trippy album tracks and the ones where Graeme Edge recites the lyrics in a super serious tone. But their best stuff isn’t far behind the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Or Who. They had a particular niche and they filled it well and moved in the early 80s to a more commercial direction. Long Distance Voyager was the last album I bought.

9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    None of the shows I saw were ever boring but like you I do miss Mike & Ray.
    They both added a mysterious touch to the show.
    They are all old now and I understand that Graham just can't do all he use to do when he was younger but I'm glad he's still there.
    He played some awesome drum parts on those albums and some of the drums like on Story In Your Eyes & Question are very fast - maybe a little too much for him these days.
    I got to meet them once back in the 90s and they were all very nice to me.
    I loved the Blue Jays album so for me it's not a bad thing to sound like that.
    I also loved the Justin Hayward solo stuff.
    I saw him a few years ago in Delaware doing his solo show and he was great.
    His voice was in top shape and the backup guys & gal were really good too.
    I'm glad they are still playing.
    There's not anything like it being done these days and that's a shame.

10. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Oh wow for me the deep trippy stuff is the best...:D.

11. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I was a big Moody fan as well...
    The middle part of The Question is one of may all time favorite pieces of music

12. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I like the Mersey beat era (1964-1966) of The Moody Blues. But when they reformed in late 1966, the addition of Justin and John brought them greater success and something special to the group.

I love this clip; they sound just like the record. Mike Pinder's mellotron and John Lodge's melodic and pumping bass, really stand out nicely.

13. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Not a big fan but they did have several great tunes. Just MO.

14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    The Days of Future Past was one of the first concerts I remember seeing. They were fabulous. About 15 years ago I got to meet them in New York. I was doing a gig in a studio in the Rockefeller Center and as I was leaving they were setting up in the studio beside me. I introduced myself and they did too. Very nice people, at least to me.

15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Those guys are still alive - amazing :)