The Magic 85 Orchestra

Discussion in 'Songs in the key of Gretsch' started by hcsterg, Jul 7, 2018.

1. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Hello All,

I quite often mention my band and sometimes post pics about her here and there...

I take the occasion of the Jazz festival of Vienne (France) "Jazz à Vienne" to present more completely the Magic 85 Orchestra, our "big music machine", with pictures and an acceptably recorded soundtrack of our concert there, that occured on last Friday, July 6, 2018.

Enjoy !

A paper about us in "Jazz-Rhône-Alpes" - sorry, it's in French :oops: - but you should be able to read in the text the titles of the tunes we played :
    [​IMG]

General view - oh, I'm lonely Lefty Guy with a hat and a guitar at the Left... I say lonely because our kind keyboardist Myriam standing beside me could'nt be there :( - Hey ! Note my GRETSCH T-Shirt ! :D :rolleyes: :
    [​IMG]

The big wind section :
    [​IMG]

The big wind section - continued :
    [​IMG]

We're always joking... Sergio on bass, Judy on percs', Fabien and JC on baryton saxes :
    [​IMG]

Our Conductors and multi-instrumentists, Seb' and François :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Our Singers, Julien - the Voice of Soul, and Valentine - isn't she cute ? Like her voice too :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drums and percussions by Kevin and Mag' :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://soundcloud.com/tubelectron/magic85orchestra06072018/s-IsK6f

A+!

2. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Nice T shirt ..... swing baby ..swing

Stencil likes this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Great pics! I would love to have been there in person!

Stencil likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    HUGE! Massive sounding group! Lots of energy! Sounds like a good time!

Stencil likes this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thank you Guys !

Yes, we had lot of fun, and the public was enthusiastic. :cool::)

We only suffered from heat : my bassist pal Sergio and I had our hands very "sticky" on the neck and fretboard, making our chorusing more difficult to manage... :confused:

I don't know if you suffer that kind of issue when the ambient temperature rises, but it's painful !

A+!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Stencil likes this.
  6. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Great pics, and I enjoyed the sound file of the performance, as well. Great energy to start you off, and a good sense of fun going on. Not to mention the technical expertise necessary to keep everyone together so well. I wish I could have been there, too!

Stencil likes this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks !

Yes, that's true : keeping the big wind section playing "well tuned and well controlled, all together like one" is a difficult target, and the result is often... Mixed ! Why?

The number of player in that wind section is variable, from 15 to 30. Some are hard at rehearsals and therefore well trained, others come as tourists, especially and incidentally for renowned concerts.

So you guess that this affects more or less the "groove" and the performance of the band : sometimes it's an unpredictable problem !

But all in all, that works... ;)

A+!

LivingMyDream likes this.
  8. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    Great music.
    Sometimes made me think of The Blues Brothers.
    Apparently, Misirlou is YOUR moment. Or your Gretsch's moment if you prefer :)

9. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks !

Yes, at the birth of the band in the early 90's we were called "Traffic Jam", counted only 10 members and played the Blues Brothers tunes... We had much more room on stage, and I could use my SF Fender TR and DR stacked and linked, at the back of the stage, at a good distance and cool volume, à la Blues Brothers, quoi.

Now the Magic 85 has become a big machine of 30-40 musicians, where it's difficult to sound right for a guitar player with all the rest, and moreover in front of, you guess it... Very often I have to play hard on the strings and push the amp over reasonable limits to cut through the mix, or simply hear myself over all that confusing fuss coming to my ears ! It doesn't help you to play correctly...

A+!