Join Gretsch-Talk Today

The Loar LH302t Thinline

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Rhodie, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Rhodie

Rhodie Electromatic

Sep 11, 2017
    Mobile, Al
    I've been looking at this guitar on line. Looks pretty cool to me and have P90's...like a Gibson ES125. Used ones can be found pretty inexpensive, around $350. Never played or seen in real life. Have any of y'all had any experience with this guitar. They are made in China and would probably need a bit of set up...fret polishing and such I would imagine.

2. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I have an earlier factory sample of a different model arch top acoustic. It's really well made. Very bright sounding. I use it tuned to open E or Em.
    I'd say it's a very good guitar for $450-$500.
    Not excellent but a lot of fun. Mine does not have a pickup, so I can't comment on the electronics. It is also 10 years old and a sample made to show what the factory was capable of at the time, so it may not speak to current production quality.
    I know that early on The Loar were going out of their way to produce high quality replicas of early classic archtops. Hopefully they've kept the quality high.

3. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    IIRC I first noticed Loar when The Lumineers, and Shakey Graves were playing them. For me, that speaks volumes to their quality.

zebulon and Rusty Silver like this.
  4. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Jun 25, 2017
    Italy (Rome and Genoa)
    Shakey Graves has a great style and he plays his theloar in a magic way...

zebulon and DaddyDog like this.
  5. It looks like a es125tdc. Which I had at one time until it made a long journey. Oddly both guitars were not sold as top of the line products. The es 125 series was not Gibsons top end archtop. But you bury something in the sand long enough and it has value. That being said, it had a great neck, and the p90's of that era were exceptional. The Loar is not a top of the line at all, affordable like the es was when it came out. I have kept an eye out for used versions of these for a while. I am curious as to how the stock pickups sound, or if they need to be replaced with some Gibsons to get the same bite.

Either way, hard to resist a florentine.

6. Rhodie

Rhodie Electromatic

Sep 11, 2017
    Mobile, Al
    I went ahead and sprang for one in Cherry Red from Reverb.com...$390.00 free shipping... it is a year old in mint condition the seller claims. I'll find out later this week.

Now I am trying to decide between a Supro Saturn RT and the Roland JC 40. There is about a $150 price difference until Oct 2. The Supro being the most costly. I was wanting a Princeton RI but those are close to a $1,000.

Srellim1 likes this.
  7. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I would suggest further nding a used Princeton or Deluxe Reverb Reissue. These can be found in excellent shape for 650 - 750 respectively. If you are wanting a Princeton, odds are that you were going to gravitate toward that ultimately anyway.

8. Rhodie

Rhodie Electromatic

Sep 11, 2017
    Mobile, Al
    I've been looking at DRRI...after shipping cost they seem to be close to $900.oo at that price I probably get a new one From Sweetwater for a $100.00 0r a bit over that .

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Pictures, please.

Ricochet likes this.
  10. Rhodie

Rhodie Electromatic

Sep 11, 2017
    Mobile, Al
    Should be here by mid-week....

11. Swig_Twig

Swig_Twig Newbie

Feb 12, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Shakey Graves replaced the P90 in his The Loar with something else. I was hoping to discover what his replacement pickup was in this thread.

12. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Swig_Twig!
    welcome mat 30.jpg

13. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk Swig_Twig!