the legend of El Pescadoro surfaces..

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by TV the Wired Turtle, Aug 7, 2018.

1. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Here's one clip vampin' on that classic water tank chamber sound of Eddie Cochran although these are ray butts filtertrons not dynasonics and a 12" tone tubby hemp cone alnico 12" not the JBL 15" w alum dust cap he's famous for using.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpu31RTAIjA/

and here is a very subtle setting w the "shallows" mode of the reverburation w a bit of the jr barnyard preamp section
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BouJY9YgN4z/

Henry likes this.
  2. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Hamilton, Ontario
    Any plans for a more extensive demo of this Tavo? It sure sounds like it has lots of possibilities.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Henry likes this.
  3. CaliforniaSlim

CaliforniaSlim Gretschie

Jul 21, 2016
    It arrived!! I haven't had the chance to play with it yet- review will come. IMG_2621.jpg

4. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I just can’t get over how great this thing sounds. There is an Australian band called Dirty Three comprised of violin, guitar and drums who recorded a very beautiful, very longing record with Steve Albini in the 90s called ‘Ocean Songs’ snd another called ‘Whatever You Love, You Are’ that mean more to me than anything in the world musically. Spending more time with it tonight, I am able to able to get some of these murky, haunting sounds that I have been so enamored with all these years. This is a really special reverb/ preamp.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    And it's here! 48 hours all the way from California to Sydney airport (3 miles away) 4 days from Sydney airport to me in the same suburb!

dankas11 and Srellim1 like this.
  6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Happy surprise this guy showed up at work today! I wasn't expecting to have got in on the luchador masks either but since I got one I feel almost contractually obligated to post this unboxing pic ;):
    [​IMG]
    I swear I don't usually look this stupid, that was just my best attempt at a crazy luchador face selfie :oops::D

7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Is that Evel Kneivel? Lol

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

8. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    yes that is! :)

pmac11 likes this.
  9. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I found that the paypal cart had kept the "free Luchador mask" in the receipt so I felt it necessary to make good on that, and thus ordered some more from mexico to be stitched up. So pretty much everyone from the first batch ended up w one :) We love the pics, keep em up :) Awesomeness!

10. Srellim1

Srellim1 Synchromatic

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    How are you liking it now that you’ve had it for a few days? Are you seeing what I was getting with respect to it being able to get a lot more ‘out there’?

11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Oh, most definitely, and w/ a pretty novel character to my ears. It almost goes into a shimmery thing w/ the dwell cranked up, but like if they were trying to do shimmer in the 40s. The plate w/ the dwell past noon seems to have a very nice drip to it as well. I'm really liking what it's throwing down w/ more conventional settings too. There's a great feeling of space and what I'm putting into it lives within that space rather than having the reverb mixed underneath/over the top of it, regardless of how it's dialed.

The preamp is working out great for me so far as well for guitar or bass. I might need to get my hands on a Barnyard Jr. some time soon here ;) I've only tried it out w/ this setup so far, w/ it last in the signal path before the front end of a variety of amps, but it's got a lot of character that seems to work for a broad range of applications:
    [​IMG]
    All in all, it's a keeper for sure :D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Would it be to difficult or to cost prohibitive to have a future version with stereo outs?

Will any Nocturne pedals work well with Line level in? I think I asked this before but can’t rememebr the answer. I am wanting to try the pedals I have with a synth, line level outs. Thanks!

13. dankas11

dankas11 Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    Hell yeah!!!! Right on time for my concert on Saturday. T shirt is my concert outfit too ! :)
    tnx Tavo! B23ECA7F-4409-414B-A05A-381EF9220222.jpeg

Bertotti likes this.
  14. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    El Pescadoro is ordered! Hope Tavo has one already made, but if I have to wait that’s ok.
    His pedals are worth waiting for!

15. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
  16. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Yeah!

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  17. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    RJ Ronquillo has pulled all the stops, this has no talking in it... I really could learn from this manner of demo vid. ..that and all the playing talent.

18. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Couple questions, Tavo:

1) Can the El Pescadoro's "Grits/Chitlins" toggle switch -- "Grits" being, IIRC, the preboost mode of the Jr. Barnyard hot pre -- be replaced with a stomp switch?

2) Can the El Pescadoro's internal trim pot -- which I believe was the "Grits gain" knob mounted on the upper right corner of the Jr. Barnyard -- be made externally accessible to a slim screwdriver by drilling or punching a small hole through the pedal's housing at a particular spot?

19. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    1. its a mountain switch mounted directly to the PCB, while I could run flying leads from the pad there is no space to mount a DPDT stomp switch due to the compact enclosure's PCB orientations.
    2. The micro trim pot in the El Pesky controls the preboost level/Grits, wasnt meant to be a "constant tweakable" like the control pot you have on the Jr Barnyard. Again due to space constraints on the El Pesky, the micro trimmer for the preboost was chosen as a set and forget static parameter. This particular surface mount type of trimmer isnt something to be constantly turning (it could snap off the PBC if turned to hard in one direction and why we have it nestled in a safe spot on the board). ...while the bigger blue and white trimmer next to it ,is able to be turned back and forth,over and over to adjust the wet reverbs output mix level w the preamp section. It got more attention because guitarist tend to move their effects pedals around and tastes change and other pedals may be added or subtracted. Having this wet boost/cut control allows you to decide where you want the pedal in the signal chain so if you do have many boosts or drives in front of it, you can cut that level especially since the jr barn's section of the pedal affects the reverb dynamic response so much. The actual free standing Jr Barnyard Hot preamp can be twiddled freely and often with its alpha pots. :)

20. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice