Join Gretsch-Talk Today

the legend of El Pescadoro surfaces..

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by TV the Wired Turtle, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Byron

Byron Gretschie

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Plus, that big bombastic led Zeppelin drum sound...Sampled by so many ...one mic hung over a staircase in Headley Grange.

Just pondering the significance of room sounds. We hear music in rooms all the time. But we rarely press an ear up to a speaker or drum skin. Just seems a bit unatural but YMMV....

Hammerhead likes this.
  2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    you hit the nose on the button, or something like that but ya I agree

3. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    This is a definite first run buy for me and I wouldn’t hold it against you if you opened pre order next month for 10/01 ship date.
    Curious- why is did you omit part of the Barnyard circuit?

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I would like to jump on this but I can't, some last minute heart issues for my wife has left me a bit tight on cash. Bright side is my Zen Tour has a great reverb covering a lot of ground including room and plate and of course surfy. I also have a nice long pipe and big basement to try some stuff out in! Plenty to keep me busy with what I have. I am sure this is going to be a big hit! As big or bigger than the Mystery Brain! What will hit the Nocturne page first? This or the Detroit Casket?

5. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    nothing has been omitted per say, just changed. the stomp for the preboost is now a toggle switch. The control pot for the preboost is now an internal trim pot. I personally always leave mine at about 8 oclock so.. yep thats about it :)

Srellim1 likes this.
  6. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Well, of course I’m talking about a Quilter amp, I don’t really play through anything else these days. And Tommy may have been the first to play a Jr. Barnyard through one, but I’d wager I’m one of, if not the first one to run an Atomic Brain through one, and I agree, it adds something you find you can’t live without once you hear it. But enough about me. The one I play through doesn’t have a built-in reverb (let’s call it the Overdrive 200), so I run the reverb pedal in the effects loop. If the preamp is in the same pedal, the amp’s effects loop doesn’t seem like a good place to put it. I just built a loop-switcher just for the effects loop (which is why it’s called Loop The Loop), so I can switch the reverb in and out, on the assumption that whatever reverb pedal I used, it would be just a reverb pedal. Combining it with a Brain of some sort would put the incremental Brain (there’s already an Atomic Brain in the chain that never gets switched off) in the effects loop, which I’d guess isn’t the optimal place for it. Hence my reservation about making a reservation for one.

But I can’t deny the appeal of that kind of reverberation. If I heard an El Pescadero, I’d probably take the bait and be hooked. And it might motivate me to “tackle” another reconfiguration of the Rackabilly so the reverb fish and the preamp fish are ahead of the amp input. If I move the El Capistan to the effects loop switcher, that would open up a pre-amp-input-jack loop for the Pescadero, yow, two Brains in the chain, I might not be cool enough for all this.

7. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    The new improved Nailhead trem will, then the Detroit Casket, and hopefully this El Pesky by Xmas/thanksgiving. Just came out w the F-Bomb TV and no one blinked. Tube Spring Reverb w Tube Tremelo. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

T Bone, Srellim1, Hammerhead and 2 others like this.
  8. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Youre ahead of the game by a mile! :)

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I never noticed it, when I visit your site I go straight to pedals and then occasionally I will peek at the Moonshine amp.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  10. EchoTwang

EchoTwang Electromatic

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    This thing looks really cool! Can't wait to hear some demos.

11. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    Bangor, ME
    Trust me...I blinked. Stellar looks and surely stellar sound.

12. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Gretschie

Dec 29, 2012
    Aberdeen
    I play my Atomic Brain into a Quilter - the little 45 pedal thing.

Did a gig with it at the weekend, smallish club type room, no micing. Sounded great, cut through fine.

pmac11 likes this.
  13. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    "The darkness of salty kelp fingers reaching up from in the shallows of the waterfront's glimmering blue twilight. Or even the River bottom's silty turbulence murmuring beneath the winding edges of city streets."

Dang, Tavo! What were you smokin' last Wednesday? :eek:

Bertotti likes this.
  14. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Obviously corn flakes! :) :) I need to start writing for a new album and save the muse for songs haha :) It's a guitar pedal not creature of the black lagoon meets nacho libre, or is it?

15. pmac11

pmac11 Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Now you tell me :)

16. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Jr Barnyard's been going about 3 1/2yrs and I didnt expect it to catch fire in the jump blues and west coast blues scene but it did and then I started learning about hollywood fats and kid ramos playing together using tape echos and reverb tanks. Kid Ramos now uses my Mystery Brain and Tommy Harkenrider sort of switch over to Quilter amps only to find that the Jr Barnyard and Mystery Brain were a needed staple to make that amp sing. Tommy being an incredible music teacher and educator opened my world to so many players that unfortunately are off the beaten path of regurgitated guitar mags, like Saunders King, PeeWee Crayton, Tiny Grimes, Lowell Fulson, Lonnie Johnson and modern cats like Nico Duportal.. and I started listening to the recorded environments and to Tommy's approach to reverb as well as Kids.. The hit, the bloom and rapid dissolve.. instantaneous but lingering in a moment. Had to make a progression w the Jr Barnyard past its first inspiration from Junior Barnard and his inspiration Charlie Christian...
    Even the Beatles and the Stones are solidly based in these early blues musicians like Peewee. John Lennon Stole the intro to this song riff down to the tone, for Revolution.

more well known, Buddy Guy's Slop Around epitomizes what chess records was putting out.. this music dont surf but reverburation is all around it.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    larryr, nickurso, Bertotti and 3 others like this.
  17. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    any video? :)

18. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Gretschie

Dec 29, 2012
    Aberdeen
    Sadly not.

19. pmac11

pmac11 Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Tavo that was both informative and great to listen to. Thanks for the artist names... I'll add them to my ever growing collection of tunes I can put on to clear my kids and their friends out of the house. :)

Agreed that the Junior B can make a Quilter sing, as you say. I run mine in front of a Pro Block, and wow does that add a whole new dimension to the output. I've had my Jr B a few months, still exploring it. It's like a sonic time machine, transporting the uber-clean Quilter back about 70 years.

An Atomic Brain is next on my wish list...here's hoping the exchange rate swings in my favour soon.

Any plans to market a compressor? Just curious.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  20. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    CousinWarsh likes this.