The Jokelele build has started

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Scooter127, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    referencing this thread: http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/ukelele-giveaway-by-me.190410/

I've started the "Made in China ukelele kit" build. This kit is hilariously bad and I'm pretty sure the end result will be "wall worthy" at best. It'll have the best finish I can put on it, anyhow lol.

Opening the kit:
    upload_2019-4-23_20-22-17.png

What the heck is that black plastic thi...no, it can't be. You have got to be kidding me.
    upload_2019-4-23_20-23-32.png
    Sure enough, the fingerboard is 100% USDA Grade A 100% pure Chinesium! The frets are just a molded feature and plast-o-chromed! The birdge saddle is also Chinesium. I'm dying laughing. But the build must go on!

Step 1 seems simple enough.
    upload_2019-4-23_20-25-45.png

Believe it or not, it's not as crooked as it looks, the picture makes it look off and it's actually pretty straight. The gaps are what annoy me, but I reckon that's why God made wood putty (Or Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty, one of my favorite things)

upload_2019-4-23_20-26-45.png

You can't really see it in this picture, but where the head tapers into the neck is crooked by about 1mm from one side to the other. I am shocked, shocked I tell you! I'll have to figure out the scale length, which I almost guarantee is in millimeters (shrug).

upload_2019-4-23_20-29-10.png

Oh yeah!...precision! A sander will take car of this when the time comes. As they say on Toronto subways, "Mind the gap."
    upload_2019-4-23_20-42-50.png

A rough idea of where the Chinesium belongs. The fingerboard needs to be 1.9 inches (yes, 1.9) from the head/neck bevel and the back of the saddle needs to be 3.14 inches (yup, Pi inches!) from the sound hole. Also, I drew a center line that matches up better than I expected. Seems the danged thing is pretty true.

upload_2019-4-23_20-31-6.png

I taped around the Chinesium parts....anything blue is fair game for carving

upload_2019-4-23_20-32-26.png

So I taped all areas I can carve9
    upload_2019-4-23_20-34-20.png

Think Hollywood and "green screens." I'm going to slap this in a scanner and it'll give me two things. First, an "easy-to-import" image that shows me where, and where I cannot, carve on the front to use in my CNC software. Second, it will be easy to do a little editing to get me an accurate enough template for the back.

This is ridiculous, therefore I love it!

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Durham's! Great stuff! We'd use it by the bucketful on stage. I've got one of those ukes as well. Fretboard's genuine plastic, so don't be fooled by imitations.

Benturner83 and Scooter127 like this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Great fun. I have a Stew Mac ukulele kit for a summer project.

4. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I have to believe a Stew Mac kit is much, much better than this one, lol.

5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I remember that my parents bought me an uke when I was a really young. It had a plastic board with plastic frets, too.
    So this feature does not seem to be so unusual on budget ukes.
    Your uke must be the luxury model of mine because the frets are chromed:).

6. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  7. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    And when I say 'a couple' of ukes, I mean that in guitar player terms, i.e. 4 or 5

8. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I have a cousin in France, Rock LeJoint. Any relation?

9. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    In case someone wants some scans...the hole is 50mm and I would guess is a standard for these China-lele kits.

Attached Files:

10. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    Ha, no I'm afraid not. This handle goes back 30 years to when we had an office band. We all took 50s rockin' or pop influenced stage names . Hence Rock LaJoint, as a nod to Bill Haley's Rock The Joint.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    What was that odd little uke-sized bass with the rubbery strings? Piezo pickup as I remember. There's an avenue to look into.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice