The Happiness Project

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Mar 17, 2019.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Twin Cities musician Mark Mallman suffered severe depression after the death of his mother in 2013. As part of his recovery he created a playlist of 50 songs that made him happy and listened to it for a year. This week he published a book about his healing called The Happiness Project.

http://www.startribune.com/can-happ...lis-musician-s-new-memoir-says-yes/507161932/

http://www.startribune.com/mark-mallman-s-5-can-t-fail-songs-from-his-happiness-playlist/507161942/

What songs make you feel happy when you listen to them?

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
  3. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    First one to pop up: Wouldn't it be nice :)
    Second one: Glad Tidings (Van Morrison)
    Third one: Do You Want To Know A Secret (The Beatles version, in case that's a Motown cover - I don't remember and feel too lazy to search).

Note: I hardly know what they're about if I don't listen carefully to the lyrics. I only grab a few sentences.

4. radd

radd Synchromatic

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    '30s swing tunes (aka Pokey Lafarge), Django, Irish folk tunes, Bluegrass, and many others. Music hath charms...

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    These 2 definitely make me smile!

drmilktruck likes this.
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I’ll add some early Beatles - I Wanna Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, Please Please Me. They were young, having fun, didn’t talk themselves too seriously yet. Happy happy.

8. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    This is a great idea. I take exception to some of the more negative aspects of music. There’s a scene in The Jazz Singer (1980 production) where Neil Diamond’s character is talking to his father, played by Lawrence Olivier. The father gives way to tears because of a horrible memory and Neil Diamond brings him out of it by singing Hava Nagila (Let Us Rejoice). I have no firsthand experience in the world portrayed in that movie, but the scene has stuck with me for many years, because it shows the power of music. Music has incredible power, because it arranges it’s ideas into patterns. Beyond that, there are multiple dimensions, melody, harmonic context, tempo, emphasis of the beat and lyrics.

Think of the Darth Vader ringtone people use to alert them that their boss is calling. It’s almost a culturally unanimous cliche for ominous. Contrast that to the Carpenter’s Top of the World, which is so positive in its outlook that it’s almost self parodying, but it is incredibly optimistic. Now, compare these to the downer music of the early nineties. It has to have an effect.

Looking back to my childhood, I didn’t always feel very fortunate. I spent my first 14 years in Rochester and we were far from rich. But my father brought great music into the house and I grew up listening to songs you wouldn’t expect to hear in a modest, blue collar home. The Boston Pops album, Leroy Anderson: Greatest Hits was incredibly pleasant and optimistic. The album remains a favorite to this day. In fact, when I started buying CDs, it was one of my first purchases. My collection includes much of my father’s record collection, bought new on CD. His musical tastes increased the scope of my tastes far beyond the Top 40 material I heard on the radio.

As an aside, even though his musical interests were mostly prewar music, from his youth, my father really loved The Ventures. He had an ear for quality and much of what he liked turned out to be music of lasting influence. Almost everything he listened to was upbeat and optimistic.

When I was 16 years old, I was recovering from a ruptured appendix and peritonitis which nearly killed me. I began the journey back to health and worked hard throughout the fall and winter that year. Then, about the beginning of spring, my health improved dramatically and I felt like the world was full of opportunity. Right about the same time, I heard Chicago’s Beginnings on the radio and it meshed perfectly with my mood. To this day, the song stirs me and reminds me of every positive emotion I experienced as I recovered my health. Beyond that one song, it seemed to me that there was a lot of optimistic music produced around the same time, and making its way up the charts. Even songs with less than happy story lines, seemed to have been presented with ascending harmonies and a musically upbeat arrangement at that time. Think of Stevie Wonder’s If You Really Love Me or Barbara Streisand’s Stoney End, of a couple of simple examples.

With just a little thought, a number of optimistic albums or songs comes to mind. Laughing and Crying with Reverend Horton Heat has some lighthearted songs. Much of The Beach Boys, especially their early material, was positive. Who could listen to Jan & Dean’s Little Old Lady From Pasadena without smiling? The soundtrack from The Music Man is a wonderful album with all sorts of fun, happy, carefree songs. Brian Setzer has a fair amount of upbeat material on his albums. Buck Owens had a lot of optimistic material, including Together Again which sounds subdued, or even sad, instrumentally, but has very positive lyrics.

I really love the concept of the original article.

The first Beatles we heard, back in the day, the Meet the Beatles album, was predominantly upbeat, happy music. To this day, over 55 years later, I still love these songs.

9. dak55

dak55 Synchromatic

May 31, 2018
    Mills River NC
    It'd be easy to run off a litany of Beach Boys, Beatles, Brit Invasion stuff that always make me happy. But I'll go way off the beaten track at the risk of ridicule from the punk rockers and metal heads:p My favorite piece of music that always makes me happy would be the Sound of Music. My parents drug me kicking and screaming to the film in 1965 and while I wouldn't admit it at the time, the music was incredible. I left thinking those Rodgers & Hammerstein guys wrote some great music. There, I said it.

larryr, new6659 and larryb like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Beethoven's 9th, 4th Movement---"Ode to Joy". So joyous that it will bring tears to your eyes. YouTube has a flash mob version in Germany. The look of sheer joy on little kids' faces is priceless.

Yukimajo, drmilktruck and dak55 like this.
  11. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
  12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Right with you. They were awesome.

13. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Way too many to list. But the 2 that immediately come to mind, that I HAVE to smile when I hear them, is BB King (especially the earlier, jump blues stuff) and Louis Jordan. But it also depends on my mood.

When I'm feeling really depressed (which doesn't happen often), I sometimes don't enjoy anything- listening to music or playing it. That's when I know I'm too far down the rabbit hole and need to get out of it (my own mind).

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    This thread has made me think about the music I’ve enjoyed over the years, and as far as I can tell, most of my favorites have been upbeat and optimistic. I’d never thought about them in that particular dimension, I just knew that there were songs I really liked, but, indeed, my favorites seem to all be on the positive side of the spectrum.

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I listened to this one today and, while the sentiments are a little dated, it had me happily bobbing my head and signing along.

After Hal Blaine died, I had an urge to listen to Burt Bacharach songs. While a lot are about pining for lost love, most are still upbeat and eminently hummable.

16. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Growing up a horn player, This one always works,........

And A little reggae always puts me in a good mood

nickurso, wildeman and wabash slim like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice