The Guitars My Father Left Me

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by manji1, Feb 25, 2020.

1. manji1

manji1 Electromatic

Feb 25, 2020
    Dayton
    Hello all, I am new to this community. I am not a guitar player but my father was an avid guitarist and collector. He recently passed after a fight with cancer. He left me his guitars and I really don't know much about them. I was hoping that the community here could help me date them and let me know if they are of significant importance and I am also looking for suggestions of what I should do with them? It seems a shame to leave them sitting in their cases forever. The two guitars I know are a 6120 and a Super Chet. The 6120 in particular was his favorite from his entire guitar collection. I also know his friends always wanted to play it and enjoyed it's unique sound. I know my mother purchased it for him from a traveling musician who's tour van was broken down around 1983 before my parents split. Any info and advise is greatly appreciated.
    (I also posted this on another Gretsch community, I am not a bot just trying to get as many eyes on this as possible because I just don't know anyting about the guitars.) 20200225_135357.jpg 20200225_135422.jpg 20200225_134836.jpg 20200225_135030.jpg

Waxhead, G5422T, TubeLife and 3 others like this.
  2. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    Beautiful instruments. Looks like your Dad was a fan of Chet Atkins (and why wouldn't he of been)!

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my Mom last summer and my Dad when I was a kid. I know there's no easy time to lose a parent.

manji1 likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Hello friend and welcome to the forum . I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your father . Beautiful guitars your dad had . I hope forum member @Wayne Gretschzky could offer an insight to your questions

manji1 likes this.
  4. manji1

manji1 Electromatic

Feb 25, 2020
    Dayton
    He definitely was a fan of Chet Atkins. He also had a Country Gentlemen but I know he didn't like playing that one as much and sold or traded it to a buddy.

5. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Sorry for your loss sir.

Beautiful guitars your dad had,the Super Chet is from December 1977.And it looks like some of the control wheels have went missing.The trem arm is backwards,maybe your dad preferred it like that.
    The 6120 is from 1965 ,Ed? And has had the machine heads replaced.

6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Sent you an email

7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, manji1 !
    welcome mat orange.jpg

8. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Awesome guitars. If you cant afford to keep them as heirloom, perhaps after you get a sense of value, you could ask your family or husband friends if they would like to purchase it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice