The Gretsch-Talk Forum is unbelievable!!!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by shrews824, Feb 8, 2019.

1. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Hey guys/gals. I'll tell ya, this is the greatest forum that I have ever been involved with. I'm a member of a lot of different forums and not just music/instrument related forums either. I'm involved in several forums of various interests (as I'm sure we all are) and this forum never ceases to amaze me when it comes to the overall feel and kindness that is exuded. Other forums (not all mind you) can sometimes be a bit "cold" and the interaction is limited. I've been a member of Gretsch-Talk for 3 years, which is definitely not as long as some others here, but that's long enough for me to understand the sense of family and friendship that exists here.

Here's an example. Recently, I purchased a new guitar (not a Gretsch either) and posted it to the forum. I guess I was wanting some praise and attention for my new purchase and to gather what others thoughts were on it. I have received nothing but positive feedback and expressions of approval from long time members and new members as well. I have been away from the forum for several months and when I posted again I was greeted with, "Welcome back; Good to see you; etc., etc.". Just like seeing an old friend from years past.

Now, if I had done the exact same thing on another instrument related forum, I would probably encounter some that would ridicule my purchase because it was not "so & so brand" of said forum and my new guitar was not as good or beneath what they had/have. Some of the other forums seem to have an elitist or pretentious attitude towards gear and/or products. Not here. Everyone appreciates all of the members gear and hardly have I ever seen anyone talk down to another person about their purchase or acquisition regardless if it was a $10K purchase or a $100 purchase. I think that says a lot about the tone some of the veteran members of the forum have instilled here. When a new member signs up they are greeted with a warm welcome and a sense that they are somewhere they belong. Even when folks disagree about something it is done with such class and couth.

That's what it's all about in my opinion. We were all brought here for our love of guitars and especially Gretsch guitars, but when you dig a little deeper you see that this forum is a bit more than that.

Thanks everyone for providing such an enjoyable place to visit and speak with such kind and compassionate people.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I just felt the need to express my opinion about the Gretsch-Talk forum.

Cheers,
    Scott

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    diamoroso, Telechamp, Nooby and 31 others like this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Thank you for the kind words and thanks for your participation here.

G-T is the friendliest guitar forum on the inter web, as I've typed many times.

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You're preachin' to the choir, my friend.

4. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I’ve been here just a little over a year, and what you say is true. I have only noticed one post in that time that I felt was rude, and nobody responded to him, so it never turned into a pissing match. It seems no one is here to argue. No insecure egos. Just a bunch of nice people, from all over the world, with lots of experience to share and draw from.

5. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    You're most welcome. I'm happy to be here. I continue to sing the praises of Gretsch-Talk from here on out. Cheers.

6. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    I know I am, but I just felt the need to express it again. Anyone that spends anytime here can see rather quickly what a great place this is. And if I'm not mistaken wabash, you were one of the first to welcome me to the forum 3 years ago!!!

Charlie westside likes this.
  7. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Exactly!!! I've seen a few posts that have had some negative connotation, but like you said, they are quickly extinguished or settled. You can tell the members here don't want that kind of interaction.

8. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I think thats
    A) lovely to hear
    B) true
    C) a testament to the watchfulness of the moderators AND the self awareness of the members.
    It is a community of brothers and sisters who share a passion for Gretsch guitars, but more than that, i think it holds together so well because we treat it as a COMMUNITY. Our commonality is more significant than our egos..... and heaven knows some of us struggle with massive egos!!!!!

9. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    This site is like an island of civility in an internet cesspool. You meet the nicest folks here.

Don't be a stranger!

10. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Very, very true. The moderators deserve much of the credit. I'm sure they get on top of the negative stuff rather quickly so we aren't bothered with even having to see or read it. Great point.

.... and very true about the egos because, ask my wife, I have one myself!!! ;)o_O

Charlie westside likes this.
  11. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    No doubt about it. I think that is what is so refreshing about it and I think that is partially why I made the post. I get rather frustrated with some of the other forums (again not all) being so negative and confrontational.

Charlie westside, Waxhead and hcsterg like this.
  12. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    It is people like you that make it what it is. We all can thank past and present members, from staff to just old, young and new pickers. The common thread that brings us together is the love of gretsch guitars and music.

13. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, shrews824,

I joined in feb. 2012 and I agree with you.

Moreover, it's one of the very rare forums on which I am still subscribed.

G-T is interesting because :
    - I can find informations and answers to my inquiries from knowledgeable members.
    - I can find circumstanced advices or suggestions from people who can "take a step back".
    - I can also help people as accurately as possible on tech issues I fronted and solved.
    - I can find unexpected clever tips and ideas on tech issues I am puzzling about.

And on the human side, on G-T :
    - I never fronted any uglyness of any kind - it would be rather the opposite !
    - I can maintain, work and improve my English.

I'm surely not alone in this case, I guess... :(

So thank you All at Gretsch-Talk ! And I hope that all this positive attitude will last and stay the rule on G-T .;)

A+!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  14. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Well, thanks for the compliment. That means a lot, but it's definitely not me. And without question we all need to thank past members for setting the tone.

Charlie westside and new6659 like this.
  15. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Very true on all points. I think this group of people are some of the most knowledgeable in any forum I've ever been associated with. Also, if I have a question (or anyone for that matter) that may seem simple or rudimentary or redundant no one ever makes me feel inferior or ignorant for asking the question. The answer always seems to pop up.

Charlie westside and new6659 like this.
  16. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I've met a number of members here on the forum and there all top notch . Looking foward to meeting you and others Scott . if you ever make it to the NY Tri-State area , give me a heads up

17. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Will do!!! I think it would be great to get to meet some of the fine folks from Gretsch-Talk someday. I'm positive everyone would be just as courteous in person.

Charlie westside and thunder58 like this.
  18. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    We're lucky indeed to have such a great community here.

19. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I agree! I’ve only been a member since August, and I love GT. Best place on the innernets.

20. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    No doubt about it.

section2 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice