The first albums I ever purchased

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The first 45: Duke of Earl. I was actually looking for Moon River, but they were out of it, and I wanted to buy something, so I bought Duke of Earl, which I had never heard, and I didn’t like it all that well when I played it. I was all of 7 years old and Andy Williams’ recording of it was getting all sorts of airplay. As it turns out, Andy Williams never released Moon River, as a single, so my trip to the record store would have never yielded what I was hoping to buy. At that ripe old age, the price of an album was way outta my league.

First album: I’m not certain, but almost certainly something by Chet Atkins, probably Guitar Genius. I have definite memories of buying that while I was still pretty young. IIRC, I also bought Chet Atkins Picks on the Beatles. I remember seeing Guitar Workshop at the record shop, but I don’t remember if I ever bought it.

nickurso and radd like this.
  2. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    My Grandparents bought me 'Remember You're A Wonble' some time around '74.
    First one I paid for was probably 'Never Mind The Bollocks' or 'Scared To Dance'.

Must see if I can find that Womble album - cheezy, kids songs, but the musicianship on there was exceptional.

radd likes this.
  3. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I got it at the end of 1966 and my sister got Herman's Hermits Greatest Hits Vol 2, I remember going to the record store ( I was in 1st grade) and my parents let us pick out any album we wanted...The Fifth Dimension's Up, Up And Away was my second album some months later.

radd likes this.
  4. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Gretschie

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    First Album was Jimi Hendrix "Electric Ladyland" that I bought for $7.99 and first 45 was "Hey You" by BTO for .99

audept likes this.
  5. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

For me it was the Monkees. Either 1966 or 67, so I was either 7 or 8. My Mother bought them for me because I'd been a good boy lol (their first and I think their second too).

The_Monkees.JPG.jpg

nickurso, radd and new6659 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice