The Falcon has landed

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by dafreeze, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Awesome. But is that the DE baritone in the middle. You've got a wonderful collection, but that's the one I am drooling over.

dafreeze likes this.
  2. Nice addition to the great collection!

I know it’s early, but what’s next?

dafreeze likes this.
  3. latetotheparty

latetotheparty Electromatic

Mar 18, 2018
    Omaha
    From Omaha?

How long you been gone?

dafreeze likes this.
  4. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats ,that is a beauty!:cool:

I'd hold on to the DS Falcon though,if ya can.

dafreeze likes this.
  5. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Yup, I hear you. I’ve thinned way down before as well. Here was the last big pile, 8 years ago, and there were a few more not pic’d. The Tele and my son’s LP Studio Supreme next to it we’re the only survivors. Setzer Phoenix went to Morning children’s show local TV star in Ontario who dressed up as a cowgirl and played songs.

7C23C758-89B3-470D-BC5A-E41401B0E842.png

Thank you Mb. Thank you. No buyers yet, haven’t formally declared but will take pics and build ads shortly.

Thanks Ric. They help me show my tinnitus who’s boss. :)

Thanks Danny. This latest is GreTschs desire to make them as close to the original 59’s, my birth year, as possible.

mbkri, DannyB, Ricochet and 1 other person like this.
  6. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Thank-ya, Rich. She’s buttery rich and just rich all the way around! :) And that’s half the family. To complete the show off and tell, here’s the other half.

55B4EA0F-FA88-4A98-A3A1-0A8E4F84FE6C.jpeg

Thanks Trash! (...reminds me of ‘The Stand’ by Stephen King. One of the bad guys was ‘The Walking Dude’, referred to by some as ‘Trash’.)

Thank-ya, Beardog!

Dozen years

7. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Thanks Henry and yes it is. That’s one unique GreTsch. She’s also one of the first 25 which included a second pick guard, signed by The Man himself.

D0882A12-B35B-493D-92D9-0B60B3F05325.jpeg

Thanks Ish! Funny you should ask...this acquisition is actually my first step in thinning the Harem. Ha! One for sure move when I get around to putting my hands on some is to trade my old Taylor 310 up for an HD-35, Hummingbird or J-45.

I’d also like to trade up the LP Studio for a good Gold Top or even better, a gold 295, w/P90’s.

And although I don’t need it, one of my favorite Falcons is the Vintage select edition of the ‘55 w/a Spruce Top and TV’s T-Armonds.

Thank ya JC! Afraid I waffle on that notion but she’s my only bass!

Henry, ishtar and Flouswa like this.
  8. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

VERY nice!!! Congrats and enjoy!

ishtar and dafreeze like this.
  9. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Beauty, love the Vintage White, my favorite shade of white for a Falcon!

10. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Synchromatic

Jun 20, 2017
    USA
    Superb! Too cool for school! Congratulations!

11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    To die for. Makes a cool looking guy even look cooler. Congrats on that.

12. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Thank you Flo!

Yup, it is just perfect, T Bone. Just like all things from 1959!

Thanks RocknRoll!

Thank ya Brother! I did get a little corny with a couple pics but wth!

T Bone and ishtar like this.
  13. Thinning the harem is often a challenge for a number of possible reasons.

I’m down to three guitars and there are a lot I miss, some I wish I could get back, and several that I’d love to try.... difficult for me to be sated. Three is a good number though because I can easily rotate and distribute my attention to each with a decent amount of time spent with each.

But that’s me...

Enjoy and good playing and good luck.

dafreeze likes this.
  14. claypainter

claypainter Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Katy, TX
    Nice guitars. Tell me about those billy-bos

dafreeze likes this.
  15. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Some people vape nicotine and think they're safe by not smoking, but they're not. Nicotine is one of the most powerful poisons known, a mere drop of the stuff that farmers used to use as insecticide would kill a person. Also little known, nicotine is concentrated in and secreted by the bladder and it eventually causes bladder cancer. That's what killed my maternal grandfather.

dafreeze likes this.
  16. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    But to get back to something more cheerful, you are a saint for donating like that, and, beautiful Falcon, mine is Lake Placid Blue with the Ray Butts.

dafreeze and Lionpotato like this.
  17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Da-amn! Congrats.

18. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Yes it is. Brought 3 in to work over the last few nights to restring, doll up, take pics of and build for sale ads for. I took no pictures, built no ads. Thanks Ish, I certainly will. She's my new favorite.

Thanks Clay. Had the Bos's 6 months now. Just killer guitars, both. Red's built by our resident luthier in Motown, the Englishman. Best bang for buck guitar I've ever owned. Both sport TV Jones Power'Tron/Power'Tron +. Most dynamic pickups I own, likely ever played. Can be clean and lovely or just downright mean just by how aggressive I attack them. Love love love 'em.

The Penguin is from 2016, a 6136T-LWP, one of the 16 guitar runs Fullers Guitars out of Houston ordered. I don't know how many Penguin runs of the Bo they've made. They seem to be small and not frequent. Joel out of Shanghai in Oklahoma City may be one of the first to order a run of them, not quite 15 years ago.

They're maple capped chambered mahogany bodies. Pretty light, under 7#. Have read closer to 6.5. Bit of a surprise as it's a big body. 24.6" scale of course. Fullers ad actually listed the body as maple, and the pups as TV's Classics but I talked with the man himself and he agreed both were errors in the ad. Aged white nitro, locking Gotah's, ebony board, pinned bridge. Feels and plays like a dream. Just lucious. Only my Strat feels better to hold but that's because of the binding and lack of forearm cut. And a monster rocker.

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/new-billy-bo-day-x-2.188409/

I loved it for 45 years. Heard it's one of the toughest things to get off of.

Thanks for that, Sabato. I've admired your Falcon and those Ray Butts have had my attention since they came out. Would love to get together and compare but we're on opposite sides of the continent.

Thank-ya, Doc!

ishtar and claypainter like this.
  19. shrews824

shrews824 Synchromatic

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    Very, very cool. Congratulations.

dafreeze likes this.
  20. claypainter

claypainter Electromatic

Dec 31, 2018
    Katy, TX
    Thanks for the info.
    I want a Billy Bo sometime... One day, perhaps.
    I'm a big Billy Gibbons fan, so there is that, but I think I like it because it looks so ****-eyed.
    The angles make it look like the whole thing is bent and that the neck isn't straight to the body. Just a cool looking guitar.

dafreeze likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice